Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2006 11:48:14 PM EDT
^^^^NEWB ALERT^^^^Well I went out to the range today and setup paper at 50 yards, loaded up 5 rounds, and fired.  I had great groupings everything within a couple of inches.  The only problem was the entire group was about 5 inches above center.  I was wondering whether if having the sights set to 300 yards would be the reason that my groups were so high? Should I am sub six for shots close up like that or what?  I was just getting frustrated aiming at the bullseye and having all of my shots 5 inches high. What advice can you give me?

THanks for your help.
James

ETA- This is my first gun and I have had it for less then a month. It is a Bushy XM15 Flattop 16" barrel with M4 Stock. What can I do to improve my accuracy? I know that I should take some training courses, but they just arent available out  here in Lubbock, that I know of. Are there any books or anything that I can read that would outline what I should be doing while shooting,  while I wait for the opportunity to take some courses?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I will give you the same advice I was given when I was in your position not to long ago.  Follow these instructions, it has worked great for all of my AR's.  Sighting in--click me

After you follow these instructions and try it out at the range, let us know what you find.  Your front post should be centered in the rear peep.

Were you using a bench?  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I will give you the same advice I was given when I was in your position not to long ago.  Follow these instructions, it has worked great for all of my AR's.  Sighting in--click me

After you follow these instructions and try it out at the range, let us know what you find.  Your front post should be centered in the rear peep.

Were you using a bench?  

Yes I was using a bench. I was shown how to sight my AR by a friend of mine who is in the Army. Though I dont think that it was the best way to do it, since I group really well but I dont have good accuracy.

I will try the method the link describes.

James
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I would do a lot more work at 50 yards first. If your groups are a couple of inches apart at 50 yards your not even going to hit the paper at 300 yards. Read your manual and look at the sight alignment pictures. Hold your weapon and breathe correctly also squeeze dont  jerk the trigger. When your start driving tacks at 50 yards then adjust your sights up down left or right. Dont start raising and lowering your sights until you can shoot tight groupings. As long as you can see where your hitting keep shooting at the same exact place until your putting them in the same hole then make an adjustment and see what happens. Also use the same ammo and bullet weight as this will change point of impact also and most of all have fun shooting. My wife at 50 yards puts them all in the same hole and tells me she doesnt know if she hit the target because there is a hole the size of a quarter in the center and she thinks she keeps shooting through it.    
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#4]
start at 50 and work your way out.

a 300yd zero will have you high at 50yds
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
^^^^NEWB ALERT^^^^Well I went out to the range today and setup paper at 50 yards, loaded up 5 rounds, and fired.  I had great groupings everything within a couple of inches.  The only problem was the entire group was about 5 inches above center.  I was wondering whether if having the sights set to 300 yards would be the reason that my groups were so high? Should I am sub six for shots close up like that or what?  I was just getting frustrated aiming at the bullseye and having all of my shots 5 inches high. What advice can you give me?

THanks for your help.
James

Adjust your elevation knob (rear sight). Click it up to bring the muzzle down. If you have an A1 upper without the elevation knob, then adjust your front sight post.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top