Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:43:21 PM EDT
I have m4 flat top upper  16 barrel with forward sight. I'm planning on using a scope so do I really need the front sight? I'm thinking of float tube that covers low profile gas block.

Is there any market for the breban forward sight if I choose to remove it or should I just cut/grind/ paint it so it fits under the float tube. You won't see it anyway.

There may be times I don't use scope so...

If I go with a removable rear NM sight on the flat top would I need the stock forward sight? Or do they make forward open sights that will fit atop the rail.

The decision is: leave the front sight and get smaller float tube or
remove forward sight, get longer tube and then get rear and front open sights that fit on rail.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like your answer would be a four railed free floating set up, a quality low profile gas block, and some front and rear folding sights. With the extended rail system, you will have more sight radius for the irons as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have m4 flat top upper  16 barrel with forward sight. I'm planning on using a scope so do I really need the front sight? I'm thinking of float tube that covers low profile gas block.

Is there any market for the breban forward sight if I choose to remove it  NO or should I just cut/grind/ paint it so it fits under the float tube. You won't see it anyway. Depends on your skill level, look you want, I.D. of the float tube, etc.

There may be times I don't use scope so...

If I go with a removable rear NM sight on the flat top would I need the stock forward sight? NO Or do they make forward open sights that will fit atop the rail. YES, Check the EE, there are several manufacturer's that make both front and rear BUIS (back up iron sights)

The decision is: leave the front sight and get smaller float tube or
remove forward sight, get longer tube and then get rear and front open sights that fit on rail.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It is my experience that the stock FSB on a barrel basically belongs to that barrel.  If it has taper pins that is, has to do with the manufacturing process etc - very long story.  I would not cut it off - I know from experience as I did this back in '90 - bad rookie move on my part.  

I would remove it properly and go with a low profile aftermarket unit and keeep the FSB and taper pins in a zip lock bag in your parts bin.  Then when it's time to reconfigure or swap barrels and put this barrel on an upper you have the original FSB to go right back on.

just a suggestion
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is my experience that the stock FSB on a barrel basically belongs to that barrel.  If it has taper pins that is, has to do with the manufacturing process etc - very long story.  I would not cut it off - I know from experience as I did this back in '90 - bad rookie move on my part.  

I would remove it properly and go with a low profile aftermarket unit and keeep the FSB and taper pins in a zip lock bag in your parts bin.  Then when it's time to reconfigure or swap barrels and put this barrel on an upper you have the original FSB to go right back on.

just a suggestion

What he said.

AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
This forum rocks! Good advice. I hadn't thought of the sighting improvement by increasing the distance between the sights. So I'll definitely get the longer float tube. I'll take off the FSB (forward sight block) tomorrow as I decide what other goodies to get. Thanks so much. I see now how you begin a parts morgue.  :-)

go4it
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I think fsb relates to something else pertaining to the barrel.... not sure
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I cut the front sight off of my last build so it would fit under my free float tube, and It has worked fine.  I just used a hack saw for the bulk of it, and then a file to round the edges enough to clear the tube.  The gun works 100%.  I would reccomend it to you if you don't want to use your stock front sight.  It is kind of odd (to me anyways, it came to me just as I had almost completely cut the sight off) to cut a perfect, brand new sight, just to add a folding Iron sight at the cost of nearly $100 In it's place.  Oh well, I think it looks cool, and I get the longer sight radius.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top