Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2006 9:05:23 PM EDT
What's your take on the Yankee Hill Free float hand guards?  I was thinking about getting this for my AR.  The prices seem very competitive so I just wanted opinions first.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
main complants I hear is that they loosen up but it might be improper installation?
The 4 rail came on my Bushy Carbine and I have absolutely no complaints other than it's a little on the wide side when the plastic rail guards are attached.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto, I'd like to know any opinions on the middy FF rail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
They work just fine. They WILL loosen up if you don't locktite them and add a $0.20 set screw. If you do, they will NOT unscrew when torque is applied to a VFG. I have six of them, car to rifle lenth all work just fine. Some people have said they are not MILSPEC and wont work with some componets- I havent found anything that won't work. YMMV

I sure a armchair commando will be along shortly to tell me that since I didnt spend $300 on a "highspeed rail" that the YHM is junk and will fall apart if used in a REAL tactical situation.

BTW I really like their folding sites- All steel and very simple/ rock solid. I had to replace my shitty ARMS when the spring failed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put a car length FF 4-rail in my new build and I love it. it looks nice, and feels nice. they are solid. I can see how if not installed right they could come loose. A little loc-tite goes a long way.
The front folding gas blocks are nice.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 12"
FF that is.

So far, so good...good dollop of Loctite has held up well.
My only complaints so far: KAC panels are a bit funky on YHM rails; I secretly
wish the top rail wasn't lightened.

I might have opted for the MI 12" FF, but truth be told, I had yet to take apart
an upper before and the YHM was a good opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ditto, I'd like to know any opinions on the middy FF rail.

I had the mid length light weight free float.  It was excellent, my next build will have the exact same free float.  I've had a lot of parts from YHM and they have all been outstanding quality for the price.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got the LW 4-rail carbine tube and the full-length tube with selectable rails. I'm pleased with both, although they're a bit wider than some of the other systems out there, and the selectable rails have problems accepting certain accessories since the "neck" on the rail is shorter than mil-spec. But mine's an older unit, so this problem may have been corrected by now.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got the mid length lightweight.  I've had no problems with it at all.  It IS a bit wide with the rail panels on, but its no big deal.  Migth try searcing, there was a similar thread about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
i have the 12" on one of my superlights and the customizable one on my varmint.

works so far, the only real complaint i have is the locking ring. when tightning the locking ring is usually torques the tube even if you have it secured to the upper reciever and causes the tube to be canted. takes a lot of trial and error to finally get it squared.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I installed the specter lenght on my RRA 16" upper.
Very nice quality stuff, easy to install, the only thing that needs improving is the locking ring, it's hard to tighten/loosen and easy to scratch when the wrench slips...
I got the heavy one first, but thought it made everything too heavy, so I exchanged it to the lightweight one, which is perfect IMHO.

Magpul covers fit nice and snug on the rails.

This is with the normal weight tube.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I also purchased the Lightweight Specter Length for my 17HMR build.
I didn't install it yet, as I am waiting on my barrel, but I will say this it is wider than my Larue, and (run on sentence) about 1/3 the cost.

I purchased it because I didn't want to make a $2000 rimfire AR.

Price was good for me, and I would buy another.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Like most others said above, get the lightweight version.
On the + side: cheaper than all the others and it does work when properly iinstalled.
- side: neck of rails are shorter than milspec, overall a bit too wide (use ladders instead of full covers), and locking nut can loosen if not loctited... & get that special YHM wrench, it's worth it.

Bottom line; great inexpensive kit for the average civilian/hunter/target shooter.
Not for LE/mil work.

Here's my Bushy/Armalite middy with YHM LW FF 4rail.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I have installed six of the LW midlength FF tubes on team weapons that get heavy use with zero problems so far.  FA hasn't loosened them at all.  Definately two thumbs up for us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the carbine length on 3 of my rifles, one 9mm and 2 - 223's.  

The 9mm has by far the most rounds down range of the 3 and I haven't had any problems with the handguard loosening up.

I plan on using  YHM rifle lenght handguard on my next build, maybe the light weight model.

I did add a little blue lock tight to all 3 weh I was assembling them, maybe that was my saving grace?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Simple repetition of the above but here goes:

I had them installed on a new RRA midlength with stainless barrell.  Great quality, rock solid and tight.  I'm sure there is a good reason to spend twice as much for Knights or Daniel but I don't know it.  

Yes, they are a little wide, but I have medium hands and it is no problem with Magpul panels installed.  The ladders Magpul carries would cut down on the bulk a good deal.

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They work just fine. They WILL loosen up if you don't locktite them and add a $0.20 set screw. If you do, they will NOT unscrew when torque is applied to a VFG. I have six of them, car to rifle lenth all work just fine. Some people have said they are not MILSPEC and wont work with some componets- I havent found anything that won't work. YMMV

I sure a armchair commando will be along shortly to tell me that since I didnt spend $300 on a "highspeed rail" that the YHM is junk and will fall apart if used in a REAL tactical situation.

BTW I really like their folding sites- All steel and very simple/ rock solid. I had to replace my shitty ARMS when the spring failed.

Nice attitude.  Get into arguments often??

I owned a lightweight carbine version on my first upper.  I had no problems with it except for the TD VFG not fitting.  It required trimming on the inside of the "claws" is all...

It wasn't that they were not milspec but they were at one extreme end of the tolerances for the height of the rail and the clearance between the tube and the undersides of the rails.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top