Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:43:18 AM EDT
and now it wont cycle.  I removed the barrel from the upper, but left the FSB b/c the gunsmith who turned the barrel said it would be fine.  But he later had to remove the FSB in order to get it on the lathe.  Is it possible that the gunsmith incorrectly reinstalled the FSB causing it to FTE and  double feed.  I've built numerous uppers and they have all worked so I'm assuming i did my part ok.  Any help.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
When you fire the weapon, does it short stroke?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
take it back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#3]
yes it short strokes and fte.  id rather not take it back i wasnt really happy dealing with the smith.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I would take it back...whether you like him or not, he did the work and he should make it right.

It's either that or pay another gunsmith to look at it...

Or you could knock out the taper pins and do it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would take it back...whether you like him or not, he did the work and he should make it right.

It's either that or pay another gunsmith to look at it...

Or you could knock out the taper pins and do it yourself.

I concur, he did the work he should fix it.

If he chooses not to, run him and his business into the ground...it doesn't sound like you're overly happy with him anyway.

I can't figure out how he could have misaligned the gas port in the barrel with that of the FSB if in fact it is held in place with taper pins, but anything is possible.

he may have bent your gas tube?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
was the barrel cut down?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, he could make it right or make it worse...

He could have screwed up when removing the taper pins and created a gas leak or possibly damaged the gas tube...  

gitsen, Its your call, do what ever you feel is necessary to fix it...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's another possibility... I had before encountered short stroking that caused dropped extraction with failure to eject after installing a GSE Vortex on a Bushmaster carbine... In order for the carbine to cycle properly I had to open up the gas port hole a few thousands...

I cant say for sure that's where your trouble lies but adding a new muzzle device is something to think about too...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The problem stated is "Failure to Eject and Double Feed"

That isn't a short stroke since the bolt/carrier went back far enough to pick up another round from the magazine.  The empty is ejected well before that during the rearward cycle.

Your extractor is letting go.  You need a stiffer extractor spring or Defender/o-ring.

Completely unrelated to the barrel thread job.

....and no, I did not thread his barrel.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Pull the FSB, see if everything is clean. Clean the port and FSB, check that the gastube is installed correctly. Threading the barrel and installing a flashider shouldn't effect cycling.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
no the barrel wasnt cut down its a 16" bushy h-bar. the upper was functioning perfectly before it was disassembled.  But i will try to clean out the gas port replace the gas rod and replac the extractor spring/ add o-ring. Thanks fellas i'll keep ya posted
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]
what kind of FSB is it? ... standard Busmaster FSB with taper pins?.... just checking (and didnt see above) because if its like a PRI or one that has set screws then the gas port could not be alined.  

or like said above that the guy may have messed the barrel or FSB (like hammering it off nad bending it and then reenstalling it and having to redrill the taper holes also causing the gas ports not to aline correctly. (seen this one a lot!)

but bottom line call the guy up and say WTF and make him fix this one!  but for future FYI, Dont be afraid to do your own AR work, its actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and for tools you only need a good barrel wrench and a set of punchs for upper work..... you will also find that its fun and so much more rewarding!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

but bottom line call the guy up and say WTF and make him fix this one!  but for future FYI, Dont be afraid to do your own AR work, its actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and for tools you only need a good barrel wrench and a set of punchs for upper work..... you will also find that its fun and so much more rewarding!

Huge +1!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Just about any probem your gunsmith could have caused would be visible.  If your gas tube is bent, you can see the bend.  Turn your upper upside down and look at the gas tube, is it centered?  Is it round?  Is it upside down?  Does it stick out too much, as in is the roll pin in the retaining hole of the gas tube or is it in front of it.  If the FSB isn't straight or aligned you can see it is off.  Other than him sticking something in your gas orifice in the barrel what could he have done wrong?  Are you doing anything different?  Did you change your ammo?  Drop your bolt carrier?  Change magazines, abuse your magazines?  Have you cleaned it recently, after getting it back.  Why the rush to blame the gunsmith?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Check your carrier key screws.  Are they tight and properly staked?  A loose carrier key will cause these types of malfunctions.  Bushmaster seems to be famous for this problem lately.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
It worked ok before you had the barrel threaded?
Remove the flash hider and shoot it to see if that fixes the problem.

Are the gas rings properly spaced apart?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top