Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 7:21:21 PM EDT
There are frequent questions posted regarding 1-9 twist barrels and their ability to stabilize heavy bullets. Wanted to share some range results from last weekend. Shot my 1-9 twist, chrome lined, lightweight contour, standard trigger and sights, 16" carbine. It's a kit gun from J&T built on a Stag lower. I was practicing with my service rifle (High Master, Distinguished) and decided to see what the carbine would do. Used my standard 200/300 load of 24gr RL15, LC brass, Rem 7 1/2 primer and a 77gr Sierra. At 200 yards the carbine produced a 98-4x and 97-3x. At 300 yards it produced a 96-1 and a 97-2. For those unfamiliar with the highpower targets, these groups translate into approximately head sized groups. And for those concerned with lower temperatures affecting stabilization in a 1-9 barrel, the temperature was 35 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing...

I always had good results using 75 grain with a 16" 1:9 twist barrel... I honestly believe that those people that cant achieve the same has ability or barrel issues...

ETA: Using the longer heavier bullets with a 16" 1:9 twist barrel might not have that "tack driver" MOA capabilities, but it'll shoot minute of man with out any trouble...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
it is not uncommon for some of the "value" barrels to not be exactly what they are said to be, I have had great luck with 1:9 and 75gr, but I have also seen barrels that were supposed to be 1:9 that are actually much closer to 1:10 -- that inch can be a big difference.

But, I would have to agree that I am sure many of the negative comments about the 1:9 are really based on hearsay.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it is not uncommon for some of the "value" barrels to not be exactly what they are said to be, I have had great luck with 1:9 and 75gr, but I have also seen barrels that were supposed to be 1:9 that are actually much closer to 1:10 -- that inch can be a big difference.

But, I would have to agree that I am sure many of the negative comments about the 1:9 are really based on hearsay.

I have to totally agree...

Any TRUE 1:9 twist, well made barrel will stabilize the longer, heavier 75 grain bullets...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There are frequent questions posted regarding 1-9 twist barrels and their ability to stabilize heavy bullets. Wanted to share some range results from last weekend. Shot my 1-9 twist, chrome lined, lightweight contour, standard trigger and sights, 16" carbine. It's a kit gun from J&T built on a Stag lower. I was practicing with my service rifle (High Master, Distinguished) and decided to see what the carbine would do. Used my standard 200/300 load of 24gr RL15, LC brass, Rem 7 1/2 primer and a 77gr Sierra. At 200 yards the carbine produced a 98-4x and 97-3x. At 300 yards it produced a 96-1 and a 97-2. For those unfamiliar with the highpower targets, these groups translate into approximately head sized groups. And for those concerned with lower temperatures affecting stabilization in a 1-9 barrel, the temperature was 35 degrees.

You got any idea on what the muzzle velocity for the above handload is from a typical 16" length barrel? TIA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The load does 2675fps out of a 20" barrel. I would guess 2600fps out of a 16".
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
How much more lethal is 75 grain over SS109 in a 16" HBAR?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, I have to admit it's not the first time, but I'm confused!! Being fairly new to AR's, I thought that the 1-9 twist was NOT fast enough for "heavy" bullets (over 55gr.). So I was quite surprised to find that my Russian surplus 62gr bought by accident was more accurate than various other lighter bullets...

What IS optimum weight for factory 20", 1-9 bbl with factory loads (I'm not able to get back into handloading at this time)?

Thanks!
Arden
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an old Colt with 1-7 twist 16" skinny barrel.  How will that work on the heavier bullets?

Not new to the AR here, but I don't have much experience with different loads.  I have been shooting 55gr.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What I find even more amazing is that you have been a member here at ARFCOM since 2001 & you only have 7 POSTS!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top