Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:57:58 PM EDT
So from doing a search and reading around a bit, I've figured that the Colt Milspec tubes are turned down from a larger piece and that the non-milspec (RRA, Bushmaster, etc.) are simply threaded, which makes them thicker, etc.

Why did Colt do it this way and what's the advantage to having a thinner tube?

I already picked up a milspec tube to use with my VLTOR stock and I'm generally sold on using a milspec tube because there are more stock options out there for them but it seems like Colt went through some unnecessary extra steps.  Could someone help explain just what the advantages are and why Milspec tubes are the way they are?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd have to drink the kool-aid.  No explanation necessary other than the pony.

Actually, I've wondered the same thing myself.  You'd think the "commercial spec" would be stronger, because they would theoretically have thicker walls.  BTSOM
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
In order to reach a precision specification, you have to do some sort of work... to rely on the extrusion of the day for the outside dims (what some companies do) will make you end up with tubes that vary as much as 0.010 from batch to batch (what some companies have).

I explained the tube in some detail in this link -- Maybe I should but an AR guide on my web site...

eta: they are not turned down, they can't be...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top