Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:08:06 PM EDT
Out of curiousity, have many of the Dissy fans on the board read Mark Penman's old article from 1997, in which he described his Dissipator project?

This was the first mention of Dissys I ever heard, back in 1999 or so, and influenced me to pick a Dissy for my first (non-issue) AR.  

For those who haven't seen the article, it's a fun one and worth a read.  It's interesting in that Mark covers a lot of issues which were later extensively covered on boards like this, particularly the Dissy barrel weight issue (he had his fluted).

http://www.jtk3.com/laissezfirearm/flutedar.htm

Mark's main site has quite a few other great guns/humor/culturewar articles, and is definitely worth a read.  Most recc:  the following article of his from 1997:

Some Great Things About Rifles

If ya gotta have a penis substitute, ya might as well make it a big one.

They make small holes in drywall, which are much easier to fill with toothpaste than a shotgun's.

If you accidentally crank off a round that sails over your target, the poor slob that you kill will at least be far, far away.

They were "armor-piercing" before punching through Kevlar was uncool. Sorry Officer!

The neighbors can't possibly mistake your contoured vinyl "assault weapon" carrying case for anything else, so walk like a peacock.

Their magazine pouches are usually large enough to accommodate a beer or two.

You can make cracks about checking around downtown for a "tall building that overlooks a lot of pedestrian traffic" to the store clerk when buying ammo.

The SWAT team will initially cut you some breathing room.

They are harder to fit under your chin.

Unfortunately, life caught up with Mark, and he checked himself out a few year back.  I'm sad I never got a chance to meet him, he sounded like a fun guy.  As soon as my Dissy is finished, I'll put a mag through for Mark.

Just thought a few other Dissy fans might like to read an old-school Dissy ode.

-MV
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

They are harder to fit under your chin.

Unfortunately, life caught up with Mark, and he checked himself out a few year back.  
    -MV

Interesting combination.   Any idea when the Dissy concept first came up for production?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster came out with them in '94. I bought one right away, great concept. Here is one in post-ban configuration.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bacon51/Bushmaster/Bushie02.jpg

Yes I know, this is my first post. Thank you for a great site!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...  It's interesting in that Mark covers a lot of issues which were later extensively covered on boards like this, particularly the Dissy barrel weight issue (he had his fluted)....

Mark posted here long ago, stuff you see in that article was posted here at one time or another.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top