Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:06:33 PM EDT
I've been reading that most people prefer the chrome lined barrel.  From what I've read, here are some pros and cons.

PROS
Ease of cleaning
Easier break-in

CONS
Possible loss of accuracy – no conformation on this from what I’ve read
Possible wear of barrel w/ extensive use?  Would the chrome eventually wear down?

My question is why does everybody want the chrome-lined?  If it is just for the ease of cleaning, that’s not a problem for me.  If I were in the field it may be different but I’m not.  I’d think the accuracy would out weigh the ease of cleaning.  Believe me, I need all the help I can get to be the most accurate.  I like iron sites...

Could some of you give me your opinions on what you like and why?  Would you not own one with or without, etc…  have you owned both….  

I’m thinking about going ahead and getting the chrome molly cause I really can’t see that big a deal for the chrome-lined.

Have I missed some "insider" info here?

Thanks -
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are using 'normal' ammo, ie surplus or walmart stuff, you won't be able to tell any difference, except that the chrome is a LOT easier to clean out.  Match barrels shooting match ammo are better off without chrome.

And chrome plating is harder than the steel under it, so no, it's not wearing out anytime soon.

Its not an expensive upgrade for the benefits you get, which is why people like it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The chrome actually makes the barrel last longer, considerably so. Really the only pro's for non-chrome lined I can think of would be price. Supposedly the lost of accuracy in today's chrome lined barrels is very negligable unless you are shooting long distances, with match ammo and free floated fore-end, etc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Chrome seals the chamber and allows fewer FTEs due to stuck cases. If you decide to use a chrome-moly barrel, at least give the chamber a good polish with some gunmetal polish and an oversize chamber mop when you clean it. A little non-drying lube will help keep it spiffy in storage.

Unless you are building a match rifle, you won't notice a loss of accuracy.

Another option is a stainless steel barrel, which have worked well in the rifles I have them on. I polished the chambers and they feed flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks - good info already...

I can see the price is only about $30 difference between the two but availability is the problem right now.  I think California has bought everything in sight.

I think I'm gonna see more people say to go chrome lined.  Is the cleaning really that much more of a hassle?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Chrome lined is cool; it's mil spec.  That's why everyone wants it.  That and there is no break in, cleaning is easier, and barrel life is longer.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
The whole 'loss of accuracy' bit is way overplayed when it comes to chrome-lining, IMO. FN produces a damned fine bolt gun, the FN-SPR, with a chrome-lined bore, and those are easily sub-MOA rifles.

Maybe the benchrest crowd can tell the difference in accuracy, but the rest of us won't notice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#7]
a 4150 chrome barrel is a better barrel for:

EZ to clean if cant always clean your rifle that day, week, month.
corrosion protection
lasting longer.

If you can clean your barrel at least after ever shooting or once a month You really dont need a chrome barrel. non chrom linned barrels even stainless will give accuracy well after 10,000 for the normal shooter.

I buy the chrome linned barrel for its ez cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
It's really this simply. Chrome lining has nothing but advantages.

As you mentioned, easier cleaning and maintenance, no "break-in", higher reliability (less likely for a case to get stuck in a dirty chamber) and longer barrel life.

The only often claimed negative is accuracy. To me, that's a bogus claim for a number of reasons. First off, IMO, if there even is a  difference, it is so small that only the top 1% of shooters out there can shoot well enough to notice. Mostly any AR barrel with half way decent ammo is capable of better accuracy then 90-95% of the people pulling the triggers. Keep in mind, we are talking about defensive carbines here, not competition bench rest rifles. .5 MOA groups, while nice to have, is way more then what is effectively needed.

IMO, all the arguments against chrome are just some peoples way of trying to justify their cheap ass barrels! Go chrome or go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As you mentioned, easier cleaning and maintenance, no "break-in", higher reliability (less likely for a case to get stuck in a dirty chamber) and longer barrel life.

The only often claimed negative is accuracy. To me, that's a bogus claim for a number of reasons. First off, IMO, if there even is a  difference, it is so small that only the top 1% of shooters out there can shoot well enough to notice. Mostly any AR barrel with half way decent ammo is capable of better accuracy then 90-95% of the people pulling the triggers. Keep in mind, we are talking about defensive carbines here, not competition bench rest rifles. .5 MOA groups, while nice to have, is way more then what is effectively needed.

IMO, all the arguments against chrome are just some peoples way of trying to justify their cheap ass barrels! Go chrome or go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well put!

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:33:41 AM EDT
[#10]
--FN produces a damned fine bolt gun, the FN-SPR, with a chrome-lined bore, and those are easily sub-MOA rifles.

YEP -What He Said ----

I been waiting for Noveske to come out with their Chrome lined Recon Ar15 barrels-This dam money is burning a whole in my pocket.      
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
hrome

LOL - think I got it.  

I'm sure you all have read this post in the RRA forum (link below), but this is one of the posts that got me askin this.    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=38&t=149342
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll agree with pretty much everything said above.  I'm a chromy buyer too.  I even had my Bushy Varminter custom built with a Chrome lined barrel!

I will say this though on the accuracy subject.  Here is my rant as I told someone else a couple weeks ago on here.

I imagine back in the day ( by that I mean 60's ), chrome lining DID inhibit accuracy slightly.  But the process has evidently changed, and it's been told to me various times that they have really done a good job perfecting the art.

So why would we still see an accuracy decrease?  Consider this:

Lets just say you buy a SS match barrel instead of a "milspec" chrome lined bbl.  Most match barrels have tight chambers, short Leades, target crowns, and I believe sometimes even tighter bores (can't back that up, just remember reading that last one somewhere).  Your "mil-spec" is gonna have a NATO chamber, a longer leade, and you are prolly gonna stick a FH on the end of the thing.  The fact is, there are often WAY more differences than just chrome when people compare barrels.  So I have absolutely no doubt FN's rifle shoots VERY well.  But just avoid comparing apples and oranges.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Gundraw - nice write up, appreciate it.

Not to beat this subject to death (It goes to show what most everybody likes), but did you get a chance to read this?  

Steve from RRA wrote this in the industry forum -

"When I talk about the construction of the barrel,we're talking about the dynamic of the rifling and chrome application. A chrome-lined barrel is bored slightly oversized, and then the chrome is applied to a thickness that should, ideally, return the bore uniformly to the exact internal dimensions as an unlined barrel. Unfortunately,the chrome doesn't behave in a perfect manner and you can end up with areas of thicker and thinner chrome application within the bore...which in turn can have a negative impact on accuracy. " Steve/RRA

There was a bit more to his post but this was the gist of it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top