Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2006 7:15:36 PM EDT
I've been readin the forums for awhile tryin to educate myself on the purchase of my first AR-15 and still feel like I don't have the basics down for an educated purchase.  Most of what is talked about around here is over my head.  Could somebody help me out here or point me in a direction, site, whatever, that could help me out?  I feel like I'm tryin to take a drink of water out of a fire hydrant - if you know what I mean...  

I wanna first learn to use the iron sights and also be able to add on a scope maybe later.  Or at least have that option...

From what I've read I think the Rock River Arms Entry Tactical would be a good first buy.  despite their unavailability and soon to be price increase....

If somebody were to ask me why I chose the RR Entry Tactical, I really couldn't say except that it is what I researched to be good.... why?  I don't know??  I keep lookin at the various RR models and like the Elite CAR A4 too.  I tried to do a comparison of it and the Entry Tactical and from what I seen the differences are:

Handgaurd - midlength on Elite CAR A4 and R-4 Handgaurd on Entry Tactical
Entry Tactical has the R-4 Barrel Profile
and the stock appears to be different (longer). ???

Would the Elite CAR A4 be a good starter?  What's the differences on these two? Besides what I listed - which doesn't mean squat to me.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between RR, Bushy, armalite, etc... at first but might later.  I know they all go bang when you pull the trigger but am lookin for more than that.

Thanks for the help...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]

I wanna first learn to use the iron sights and also be able to add on a scope maybe later.

I'm not a fan of scopes on a carbine, but learning to use your irons before getting any form of optic is a FANTASTIC move.  

The RRA will do quite well for you, as would a Bushmaster.  The RRA barrel is heavier under the handguards while Bushmaster uses the military lighter M4 profile.  Its a personal issue, thought many people try to stay light with a carbine.

Any reason you are looking at a midlength?  Nothing wrong with them, just curious.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You know more than I did when I bought my first and only AR.  It is a Bushmaster with M4 style barrel.  I been very happy with it.  If you want a midlength, I would go with the RRA.  Best to buy what you want from the very start with yor first AR.  You will get the sickness so you will want more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Stickman -
not sure why I'm lookin for midlength... don't know what midlength is really.  This is what I was talkin about with my lack of knowledge...  I shot the Bushmaster M4 and that is what got me hooked on these.  I knew it would happen.  You got me something to research though - thanks

Maxxx -
Not sure about me knowin more than you did....  Not even sure what the midlength is really.  thanks though and I know for a fact I will own more - this is just new for me now....

Is there a thread or something in the forum that talks basics about AR-15's?  I've talked with some local dealers but they want to sell what they have mostly...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
as far as info about the gun itself...the build it yourself,maintinance/cleaning, and trouble shooting forums tend to have a lot of technical know how, also as the day you do get your first EBR you will know how to fix problems, take it apart, what to do and what not to do in situations..etc...so in my opinion that those are good places to hang around every now and then. i would really stay away from looking at the picture thread for now...its filled with all kinds of wallet destroying credit card eatin idea makers....but oooooooosoooooooo tempting
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy a used 20" A2 style rifle. They generally go for a lower price than a flattop as they are not optic ready and you don't have to shell out for either a carrying handle or irons.

The longer sight base is easier to shoot irons with and the rifle length gas system is generally smoother than the sorter ones.

If you go with a ban upper, I reckon you'll get it for even less.

Once you are happy with your skills and have expereince of the AR15 system under your belt, you can then sell or trade it away to pay for the gun you REALLY want.

Simon
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Bill2K and Simon Tan -

Thanks for the info.  I'll check out those forums and look at some of the other style rifles too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top