Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:38:45 AM EDT
A plastic ziploc bag landed on a hot barrel, I got the majority of it off but there is still some residue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
shoot the rifle
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
shoot the rifle

+1

Get the bastard really hot and burn the rest off.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont suppose a brass brush would work, would it? Might mess up the finish....I have no clue.

How exactly did a plastic bag land on the barrel..?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
While the barrel is smoking hot, wipe the residue off with a wet rag...

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#5]
bumpfire!

I had a para cord sling i made for hunting. I did'nt plan on using it for any extended time, jsut to carry the rifle whiel hunting and maybe fire a round or two at a deer.

well... fast forward a few months. i'm at the range bump firing, and i notice smoke curling up. I forgot abotu the sling. It melted off the barrel.

I let it cool, chipped off what i could, and fired it some more. it all came off eventualy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
As another alternative, try a freeze spray----a spray coolant----and then just peel &/or pull it off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I dont suppose a brass brush would work, would it? Might mess up the finish....I have no clue.

How exactly did a plastic bag land on the barrel..?

I had finished some drills. Laid it down, loose ziploc bag was blown by the wind and landed on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Try heating it up lightly and wiping with a cotton cloth.  All signs of residue may not be removable, but once you have the plastic off of the surface, I expect that CLP and cotton would finish the job.

I once had a green sandbag melt around the barrel of an M240 and set up.  That was a huge chore to remove, but was on a govt. weapon that was not required to be pretty.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If the barrel is chrome you can use the finest steel wool you can find and it will do the trick. Have used it on harley pipes for heel marks and a plastic bag. It all came off. But I did it cold or it will just smear if hot. Some people say to use oven clearner but I never tryed it and not sure on paint.hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I've removed melted plastic from metal with a hair dryer.  Found it to be a better way than any because you can regulate the heat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
paint stripper.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Heat up the barrel and use the oven cleaner.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top