Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:37:15 AM EDT
Hey guys!

If this has already been discussed, I appologize for the repeat? But here is my question.......

I want to biuld a light weight carbine for my coyote walking/calling rifle and need to know what barrel, upper would you recomend? I have a complete lower ready to go, and just looking for suggestions on the upper? If anyone has a upper like I'm looking for to part with, I'd be interested in it as well. Also.....if any of you have a carbine like I'm talking about, I'd really like to get a look at it!! Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking for light weight, and great accuracy, you really need to take a look at the ABS carbon fiber barrels.  The ABS barrels shave a significant ammount of weight off the upper, and combined with a light weight FF tube makes for an easy carry rifle.

I just built a rifle using one of the ABS barrels.  I could not be more pleased.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to stick to a traditional barrel and have a really light weight barrel, go with a superlight.  If you want something that is a little beefier, and not as sensitive to sustained fire and barrel whip, but still pretty light, go with a government profile M4.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reponse guys! I really  think I want to do a pecil barrel build. As far as the barrel whip goes........this upper will be a dedicated coyote calling/walking rifle and probably wont see any rapid fire use.  Of course, I need something accurate enough for 200-300 yard shots on the yotes'.....so I guess something in the 1" @ 100 yrds would be sufficient? Need to be a flat top, leight and not too spendy.
 I'd really like to keep the total weight of the rifle with scope and empty mag, at under 7 lbs.  The scope I'll use weighs around 1 lb. That'll leave around 5-6 lbs for the rifle and rings. Prefer to keep it a slik barrel with F/F forend and either 16 or 20" barrel. I do handload, so can work up the loads I need. Also.......to shoot the 45-50grn bullets, what twist does everyone recommend?
I know there has got to be some people on here that yote' hunt with there AR's? Sure like to hear from them and get a look at the weapons and maybe the weight?

Thanks again guys!!!! I really appreciate the help and advise..........
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top