Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2006 1:26:02 PM EDT
Why aren't they included on this site's industry page to AR makers.  They make a fine AR.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
120 pages of Oly haters, two posts by Oly supporters....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
that is just bs.  Here in SD there are a ton of oly owner like I am sure half of you guys are (cmon out of the closet) I have seen nothing bad out of the ones that I have shot or anything.  Without being insulting (it is possible) what is a real advantage to not having one
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what is a real advantage to not having one (Olympic Arms)

Wating for the Clot kool-aid drinkers to arrive....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
There is bad blood between this site and OA.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel like I am taking a scab off a wound here, but what is the deal?  Is it just personal preferance or what?  After a couple of thousand rounds through the one I own, and countless others that friends of mine have I would think that if there was a major problem one of us should have had it.  Not saying that we have not had one problem, but something major should have stuck in my mind I would think.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
There are many members on here that also like OLYs. But as Stickman put it, there has been bad blood with OLY lovers and haters on here. Most of this passed before my time here, but it still lingers. Although I have noticed more OLY supportes coming out of the wood work. It may also have something to do with an Improved product as well.

I have two OlY franken-guns that I love shooting. One of which is a 9mm carbine.

Nox
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought 2 Oly Arms some time back and they were the biggest POS's I ever held.   It sucks cause I'm from Washington State.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine goes bang when you pull the trigger *shrugs*

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Eliminator upper ( copy of a Dissapator ) . Haven't shot it much but the front sight post is not square, the handgaurds move clockwise and back because there's no gas tube on the fsb, and the upper is very loose on my Bushy lower. My coworker has a preban Colt and his upper / lower fit is loose as my sporter "87"  Colt was. I guess thats why the Accu-Wedge was sold alot back then. My Stag upper fits perfect on my Stag lower and Bushy lower. For that reason I would not buy or recommend Oly uppers . I wonder if Dissapator handgaurds wobble.

Also alot of well respected people here say Olys ( well anything non-Colt ) breakdown more often than not in their classes. I know it's hear say but you have to give them some respect. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There is bad blood between this site and OA.  

fine but when COLT,ROCK RIVER,BUSHMASTER,STAG or any other one starts making ar lowers that take glock mags then we can start bashing oly.

yeah i know kel tec makes a carbine that takes glcok mags but it is not an ar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Never owned an Oly, but I looked into carrying their product line, the guy got almost violent with me and couldn't give me a wholesale price. I guess they just deal with certian dealers?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 1 Oly and it is sweet.  Magwell is a tad tight on some mags but 90% of them work fine.  CS is great to, daughter lost my trigger pins when I was cleaning and they sent me a new set free of charge.  I told them what happened, didn't even tell the rep. the brand of my rifle, and he said no problem what's your address.  Mine is a Oly lower only but I would rate it right up there with my BM, RRA's and even my COLT 6920, finish is even better than on my 6920 but if the SHTF I'd probably grab the Colt.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#13]
That was one of the problems with them was the mag wells need fileing out to get the damn mags to drop.  Fit and finish were not what I would like for the money they ask either.  Front sight posts looked kinda cheesy cast vs forged.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have had an Oly carbine for about 5 years and it has been a great rifle and just as good as my others.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mine goes bang when you pull the trigger *shrugs*

The Good collection! Good weapon all,except Glock IMHO
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#16]
     I have one of the old SGW lower Olys that I have owned 18 years, it has over 12,000 rounds on it.  I replaced the extractor spring and buffer spring over its life, that's it.  It runs smooth and never malfunctions.  Eats whatever I feed it.  I also have a bull barrel Oly, it needed a 200 round break in, and since has been perfect.  I understand people who like Olys and the people who hate them.  It all depends on personal experience.  My last carbine class, only Colts and a Lew Horton gave problems, yet lots will swear by the Colts.  The Bushys, Panthers, and Olys ran fine.  Next class, the Colts may be flawless?  So much depends on the operator, the mags, etc.  I was skeptical of Model 1 rifles, but I recently took a 7" Model 1 right out of the box and put 250 rounds of old laquered Wolf thru it as fast as two shooters could pull the trigger.  It got so hot we had to lay it in the snow, but ran perfect, no break in!  Point is, everyone has a different experience with ARs and 75% of the problems are'nt the gun!

Celeritas,Impetus,Violentia    
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
That is all I was trying to say is that they are not a bad gun I am not saying they are the best ever made, but for my purpose and price they fit the structure perfectly.  Anytime I had a question people would just hit the fact that it was an Oly and should be thrown away.  I appreciate the replys
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#18]
They were here and with other makes had a spot in the industy section. I think they were right above Colt. The owners of this site and Oly could not come to an understanding on the new fee's to use the site. Bad things were said by them and pooff they are no longer here.

FWIW My Oly has performed flawlessly for years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My best friends father is ex mil/LEO and has worked as an armorer/firearms trainer for the local PD and he absolutely swears by Olympic Arms. He just raves about them....he bought a plinker with a cast reciever just to have a cheapo AR to lend to students and this gun has in excess of 4k through it without any failures what so ever. He recently replaced the extractor just to prevent any future problems, otherwise the weapon is completely stock. There are alot of people who bag on Olympic and the majority of these people have probably never owned one and are bagging them because they aren't Colts or because they are realatively cheap. I personally don't necessarily associate quality with price. Its possible to get an amazing weapon for a fair price. If three

weapons are made with identical parts, materials and to the same specification but have different names on the receiver, whats the difference? My favorite Olympic is the 9mm which uses Glock magazines. Perhaps some Olympic AR's aren't chrome lined, M4 feed ramped etc. high-speed
"combat weapons" but they are amazing civilian weapons which can be had at a reasonable price.
I have had great luck with Olympic arms rifles/carbines and I would not hesitate to reccomend them to others. Besides making great weapons which are very affordible, they are a family owned outfit that has been in the business for some time and their service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I've owned 3 Oly rifles total in my life. My only REAL bitch back then was the mag well issue. The mag well was so tight on one of mine (PCR99) that D&D Thermolds wouldn't fit. Orlites and some USGI mags (OKAY, Adventureline) wouldn't work either. The same mags were fine in my Armalite, DPMS, and Bushy.
If Oly has improved this, I might look at them in the future............ If you have an Oly and are satisfied; great. Thats what matters.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I also have an Oly franken-AR. It's a 20" free-float AR that I use as a sniper/target.

Basically, everything is an Oly or YHM part, the lower, which is a Mega (Tumwater, WA versus Olympia, WA). The LPK was okay, but a bit heavy in the pull, so I did the 15 minute trigger job with good success.

Shoots great, no problems. The gas port is bigger than on some, but since it's dedicated for decent .223 accurate ammo (read: not 5.56mm mil-spec) it helps with the cycling. I was also able to put in a MGI buffer and spring to soften the recoil and tune it a bit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If three weapons are made with identical parts, materials and to the same specification but have different names on the receiver, whats the difference?

Oly has their place in the market, but they don't use identical parts.  My Oly upper had a cast FSB.  My Oly lower had a tight magwell and the mag catch seemed to dig a ring into my uppers.  It worked fine with brand new USGI mags, but I wasn't able to use 2 out of 5 used USGI mags.  

My major issue with them is their service.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
...If three weapons are made with identical parts, materials and to the same specification but have different names on the receiver, whats the difference? .....

There would be none.

Except they are not made with IDENTICAL parts, materials or to the same specifications.

If that means they are good or bad depends on your demands of an AR type rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:39:23 AM EDT
[#25]
All m y USGI mags slide in out of the well perfectly.
The new plinker plus rifles Have ALL forged uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#26]
With OLY it's their way or the highway. If you don't believe they are hard to deal with, just try to ask  them a simple question.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I recently called them for some info. I wanted to find a dealer with a K8, I am interested in that rifle and wanted to handle one before I bought one. The guy I talked to was friendly enough but he was unable to find a dealer anywhere near me and he could not tell me where to find a K8. I thought that was odd. I would think with computer tracking that he could do a search and find who had ordered a K8 and whare they might be. I guess it depends on the system. Also the dealers that they have on their website near me are no longer in business, number has been disconnected. I guess their data base has not been updated which kinda bothered me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#28]
One thing that I don't understand is the extremes, some people swear by them and other say their the biggest POS on the planet.  Some say that the people at Oly are the best, other say they go on murderous rampages the second you ask them a simple question.  I'm not calling anyone's veracity into question, just that I don't understand the extremes.  And funny thing, I don't see this kind of extreme feelings about Oly on other websites, it seems to be an Arfcom thing.  I wonder how much of it are members here just parroting what they hear, some of it dislke from staff about the whole Oly/Colt industry forum stink.

I've got a new Oly K4B 20" A2 rifle I bought a year and a half ago.  Fit and finish is good to excellent, accuracy is superb, 1" and better at 100 yards with quality ammo, USGI mags fit fine, although others are tight (why this is considered a problem I can't figure out since USGI mags are accepted as the standard) and the gun has not had a single jam of any kind with any ammo, including Wolf and Barnaul. with roughly 5000 rounds downrange.  It cost me $639 with one mag, sling and hard case.

I've got a second carbine I built on a Stag lower with a RRA upper, Oly LPK, Oly B/BC/CH and Oly FIRSH handguards.  It's not as accurate as the Oly A2, but it too has been 100% with all ammo.  Fit and finish on the Stag lower and RRA upper is about the same as the Oly A2.

My Brother has a 16" kit from J&T on a Stag lower.  It's not as accurate as the Oly A2 and fit and finish is on par with the Oly.  It too has been 100%

My FIL has a kit built on a dissipator kit from MIS on a RRA lower.  Fit and finish not as good as the Oly A2 and it's had several feed problems, although just shooting it a bunch seems to have cleared most of them up.  It's not as accurate as the Oly by a wide margin.

My best shooting buddy has a Bushmaster with a 20" bull barrel and a 4x12 scope.  It's fit and finish is about on par with the Oly A2 rifle, it's had several failures that I've noticed, most I believe to be mag related, and it's about as accurate as the Oly, maybe slightly less.  And he's got an expenisive Leupold scope and I've got a POS T-168 mounted on my carry handle.  Price paid for the Bushmaster was over $1000, not including the scope and mount.

I've contacted Oly several times, sometimes with stupid questions when I was new to the AR, sometimes to order parts, and once to inquire about a part I broke when cleaning the gun.  Each and every time I was treated nicely, my questions answered, my orders taken and the part I broke was not only replaced for free, but when the box arrived it had a bunch of goodies included, patches, pins, some other small spare parts that they thought I might need when replacing the broken part.

I'm not an Oly employee (I live in Arizona) nor am I a wild eyed Oly fanboy (I'm 48 and have been a gun owner for 35 years.  If my Oly's were POS's and I had bad dealings with them I'd have no qualms about saying so.

As I said above, I'm not questioning anyone's veracity, nor do I expect to change anyone's mind about Oly here on Arfcom, the Oly hatred here is set in stone among the faithful and their followers.  But the extremes I see are strange, as if there are two Olympic Arms, the good one and their evil twin.  I think while in the past Oly did produce some low quality stuff, that's changed in recent years but the haters just can't let go of their bad experiences.  Fair enough I suuppose.  I also think there's a lot of parroting going on and more than a bit of exxageration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#29]
My SBR has an Oly Arms Lower.  The fit and finish is as good if not better than my Bushy and my Rock River.  I have had zero problems with it and all my mags drop out the well just fine.  Paid $105 for this Oly machined lower and can't complain.

MadDog

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#30]
The in-crowd at the range tells me I look more tactical shooting one of my ABC rifles than when shooting my OLY.   They all have ABCs so they know what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#31]

but when the box arrived it had a bunch of goodies included, patches, pins, some other small spare parts that they thought I might need when replacing the broken part.

To me that is Hella cool! I used to buy motorcycle parts from this place and they did that. Every box I got from them had candy, key ring, key ring airpressure gauge, pins, patches something like that. I have not done business with them in five years and I still talk about them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I had problems with both uppers I got from Olympic arms.  (1) was a 762X39 upper which shot about 8 Feet left at 50 yards, so I sent that back and got it replaced with a 11.5 CAR upper which had double feed problems after about 2-3 magazines, gas port was to small, I had to use a Colt sporter carrier to make it run (light weight) so I stopped using their products.  I have not recommended Oly to anyone since.  I had service issues also when I sent back my first 762X39 upper they lost it for about 4-6 months.  They are probably ok now but their early stuff was poor... 762
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#33]
How long ago was you experience with them?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Ive owned several Olympic AR's in the past and never had any problems with any of them except for one, it had a tight magwell, it was also a cast receiver...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a Oly lower on my .50 Beo Wulf and it works with all mags.  The Oly LPK was shabby at best so a Colt LPK was instaled.  I like the symbol they use on their lowers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top