User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:28:10 AM EDT
What is the difference between the Colt Match Target and the Sporter Targer
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Match Target, Heavy Barrel Profile. Sporter Target, A2 Government Profile Barrel.

Lonny
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Lonny, My Colt Sporter Target appears to have a heavy 20 inch barrel, thats where my question arose from.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a number of Sporter Targets that carried original, from the factory, heavy barrels----I'm not necessarily sure that S-T's, by spec, were built with the government profile barrel.  

Other differences:  Sporter Targets typically will have a standard A2 flash hider, while MT's will not.  ST's will have the sear block, while MT's don't (though, they don't have the lower area machined-out for accepting an auto sear, either).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
That fully answers the question, I have a heavy 20 inch barrel with the bird cage and sear block with a half moon lower cut out bolt carrier. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Match Target, Heavy Barrel Profile. Sporter Target, A2 Government Profile Barrel.

Lonny

Match target (6530) 16" pencil barrel........a.k.a. sporter
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Most Sporter Target models were made during the pre-ban era. Most if not all had the following features:

1.All had M16A2 20inch "Govt. profile" barrels with A2 flash hiders but no bayo-lugs.

2.Most had lowers with sear blocks and non-mil-spec hammer and trigger pins.

3.About half of the total production of rifles had lowers with "large hole" sized front pivots.

4.All had A2 style upper receivers.

Most Colt Match Target /Sporter Targets are current production. They have the following features:

1.All have M16A2 20inch "Govt. profile" barrels with NO A2 flash hiders or bayo-lugs.

2.All have lowers without sear blocks but with non-mil-spec hammer and trigger pins.

3.All have lowers with mil-spec "small hole" sized front pivots.

4.All have A2 style upper receivers.

*Note*
Colt is known for making changes during production so none of the above is "written in stone".
The easiest way to find out if your rifle has a real heavy barrel is to check it by removing the handguards and verifying the profile or check and see if its marked HBAR.

Hope this helps

ChrisM

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
ChrisM, The only markings on the barrel are just behind the flash hider, they read " CMP 5.56 NATO 1/7"
Ths barrel in a little thinner under the hand guards but opens up to just about the dimension of the flash hider. All else appears typical for a rifle produced during the ban.
Thanks
Allan
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#8]
It appears that you do have the correct Govt profile barrel. A heavy barrel would be much thicker under the handguards and be marked HBAR.

ChrisM
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#9]
A 6530 is a match target and has a 16" pencil barrel. No flashider...................
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's mine

Gene
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
What is your barrel length and configuration??
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My Sporter target preban circa 89 -slab lower, A2 BBL and sights, No sear block, 1/2 moon cut carrier, standard fire control pins, large receiver holes, Flash hider with bayo lug ground off.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top