Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:40:24 PM EDT
Curious if  anyone has anything to say....good or bad....about DPMS? I mean they are priced to sell, but is that due to a lack of quality?

Scout
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
their bolts are know to break !        Buy a stag arms great product !!!!!!!!!!!!1  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my 16" DPMS M4gery!  Cant go wrong!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a DPMS M4gery upper and  I am in the middle of giving it a extreme torture test

So far so good
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked the A2 lower I got from them so much I pick up another one tommorrow. For $199 new, it would be hard to assemble one from a parts kit cheaper with out some used parts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]
i've got their LPK in my build and i like it a ton! -h
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a DPMS varmint setup with one of their cast lowers.  Great rifle, I regret selling it.  I have 2 DPMS forged lowers that I used for recent builds.  I put together a group buy for 15 DPMS lowers at work a couple of months ago and have been using their LPKs for building them.  I haven't had any problems at all with any of them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I just received my new DPMS CMP Upper and it seems really tight.  Can't say how it shoots yet...

Man, a 15 lower group buy at work?  If I start talking guns at work peoples eyes glaze over and they start moving closer to the phones like I'm going to open fire any second.  

Oh, hi all by the way, first post.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#8]
One DPMS Classinc Sixteen and two AP4s. All three have been excellent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I started buying DPMS rifles about a year ago. Fit and finish is amazing, as is out of the box accuracy. Price is also very agreeable. I also like how they offer incredible product diversity.
I currently own several DPMS AR's and I have a LR308 on the way. They are definatly a top tier AR manufacture and anyone who says otherwise is mistaken. There is a moderator on here that regails us with tales of cracked receivers. Apparently the receiver had cracked  when the weapon fell off the counter. Did the receiver crack because it was cast, and thats the nature of cast receivers or because it said DPMS on the side? Cast receivers are succeptible to breakage no matter who makes them. A Colt cast receiver would have cracked just as easily. DPMS no longer makes cast recievers....so don't even go there. Also, DPMS sells parts as well as complete |

weapons. If you have seen problems with a DPMS gun, you have no guarantee that this particular gun was assembled by DPMS. They are a great outfit and I am proud to own thier weapons and support a local business. DPMS weapons are as good if not better than anyone elses AR's and they typically cost less to boot. I have a 16 inch carbine with A1 sights*a DPMS factory gun, not sure of model Classic 16?* that has more than 4500 round through it without so much as a hiccup. It has the chrome bolt carrier that people gripe about and a non-chrome lined barrel. I have probably cleaned this gun four times in the few months I have owned it. Its my designated beater AR and it works no matter what. I have owned nearly every major brand of AR and DPMS and KAC are my favorites and the brands I have had the best luck with. IMO, all of the top tier guns are roughly the same quality, so it comes down to personal preference. DPMS makes excellent weapons and they are well represented in the LE market. If you have never personally owned a factory built DPMS, save your anti-DPMS propaganda for your couch commando buddies. DPMS is as serious of a fighting rifle as anything else. Thank you DPMS for making a rifle I stand behind and trust my life with.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the testamonials in this thread.

I was really on the fence between the RR Tactial CARA4 and the DPMS Panther 16...but after hearing the good reports here...I'm confident in buying the DPMS....and it comes with 2 30 round mags, unlike the RR.  RR is a great rifle though.

Best Regards.

Chris.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#11]
My dads 20" Stainless BB Varmet rifle is a little picky on what it likes to shoot. Otherwise no problems.
I just acquired a 16" BB LO pro upper. I have to get a bolt/carrier for it and its set to go on my mega lower
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a DPMS carbine A1 upper on an A2 lower (well it's an A2 stock anyway, I don't know if the rec'r is A2, how can I tell?).  It's been a great gun.  I've put al least 3k, (probably a lot more) rounds through it with no probs.  It shoots the cheap Wolf ammo all day long no problemo.
JonB
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
DPMS? My mommy told me that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My direct gas impingement AR is a DPMS and if your go that route, there is nothing wrong and a whole lot right about DPMS.  I've had NO problems or complaints...

TS
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Never had a problem outa them...they are not liked by some of the self appointed  "enlightened" folks around here.

I have had thousands of rounds through 2 DPMS guns that I built using DPMS parts. Not one has failed...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Never had a problem outa them...they are not liked by some of the self appointed  "enlightened" folks around here.

I have had thousands of rounds through 2 DPMS guns that I built using DPMS parts. Not one has failed...

I suspect you have an issue with my praise of expensive, high quality weapons.

I saw the light when a DPMS jammed so completely we needed special tools and replacement parts to bring it back into service. I'm happy yours works for you. Really, I am.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Have seen multiple problems with them in the past and have personally witnessed two broken bolts as well as parts that worked but that I didn't consider well-made.

Having said that, just shot a DPMS varmint rifle the other day (24" bull barrel) and it had both extreme accuracy and a lovely trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect you have an issue with my praise of expensive, high quality weapons.

I saw the light when a DPMS jammed so completely we needed special tools and replacement parts to bring it back into service. I'm happy yours works for you. Really, I am.

Nope..I also have high quality ones too...

I have what some people might call a "High Quality" gun, a Bushmaster. IMO, it's not any better than my DPMS's.

The only brand that is better is my Colts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have a DPMS M4gery upper and  I am in the middle of giving it a extreme torture test

So far so good

Run for the hills!  It's the end of the world!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a DPMS CMP gun, and it's great.  I heard they had BCG problems, so I got a Colt bolt and carrier - no problems at all, and rifle is better then the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Better fit and finish than my last Bushy or RRA.  

I might have gotten lucky, but all have functiond perfectly for thousands of rounds...  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So far so good

Run for the hills!  It's the end of the world!

Anything is possible. No one ever thought that the US Hockey Team would kick the Soviets asses at Lake Placid either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Can someone tell me why some people poo-poo the DPMS LPKs? I used one on my first lower, and I didn't see anything wrong with the parts. What is supposed to be so much better about more expensive LPKs? Is there any difference in materials or manufacturing, or is it just a bias thing?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Can someone tell me why some people poo-poo the DPMS LPKs? I used one on my first lower, and I didn't see anything wrong with the parts. What is supposed to be so much better about more expensive LPKs? Is there any difference in materials or manufacturing, or is it just a bias thing?

Some people just do. I have used at least a dozen of them in builds and never had one fail yet.

The one complaint, and I have seen this, is that the finish can be somewhat spotty, but that never stopped me from using them. Other than that, they are good LPK's..
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#25]
i have to say DPMS and RRA are a favorites for basic AR's......but then you get into the other stuff like gas piston and that kind of stuff..........but DPMS owns.....however i have a RRA Tactical CAR A4 and i wouldnt trade it for any other AR
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#26]

I love mine.
Never any problems. THe SS barrle and the SS bolt carrier group makes it nice and easy to clean.

As good as if not better than my RR or bushy.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I love mine.
Never any problems. THe SS barrle and the SS bolt carrier group makes it nice and easy to clean.

Not to discount your opinion any; but I am not aware of DPMS or any other manufacturer making BCGs out of stainless steel. So two thoughts pop into my head. One is that I am wrong about this and still have a lot to learn. The other is that you don't know what your BCG is made out of and that makes me question the rest of your input.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't own a DPMS.  When shooting at the local range last fall, a varmint type shooter had a DPMS 20" bull barrel upper and DPMS lower with a jewell trigger topped with a Leo vari-x III.  He was pushing 40 grain Nosler ballistic tips around 3900 fps.  His groups were .5 - .75" at 100 yds.  Milk jugs virtually exploded with each hit.  He needs to drink more milk.

Seems to work well for him, except he pushed out a primer into his trigger goup.  He couldn't just break it open and correct the problem.  He had a GIANT hex screw threaded into the take down pin and he left his allen wrenches at home!  Apparantly, this was his gunsmith's way to fix all of the slop and play in the upper/lower fit.

Make your own decisions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#29]
The fact is that many like, including me, DPMS. There are also many that have either had a bad go with them or because it's popular to jump on the bandwagon and hate them.

I have a Bushmaster, outa the box the factory installed FSB was canted so badly that I could not zero the weapon.

Call Bushmaster, because of EVERYONE'S rave about their vaunted Customer Service...they would not touch my rifle. I was told that they.."Have no interest in helping me at this time.."

Well I have no interest in ever owning another Shitmaster again..

I have never had to call DPMS about a damn thing. I have other brands, Colt, RRA, Shitmaster and I have had only issue with one, Shitmaster and they would not fix it.

I will defend DPMS until they let me down, that time has not come yet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a DPMS M4gery and have only taken it out once since I bought it a few weeks ago. Put 110 rounds through it with no issues. I figure if it can get through that many the first time out with no problems then its fine :) Actually, I love it. Fit and finsish is very good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Never had a problem with mine.  Think about this:  Have you ever heard of a brand of gun that never has problems?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't Procure Major Systems
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I love my dpms.  I usually shoot georgia arms FMJ or WWB through it.  I have a few big metal glue cans and have them in various spots in the woods behind my house. I just go out to the edge of the woods and blast away.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love mine.

Not to discount your opinion any; but I am not aware of DPMS or any other manufacturer making BCGs out of stainless steel. So two thoughts pop into my head. One is that I am wrong about this and still have a lot to learn. The other is that you don't know what your BCG is made out of and that makes me question the rest of your input.

Well, you don't need to be a metallurgy expert to express your opinions on a rifle
The BCG looks like SS, but it's chrome plated 8620 steel:

- Ice
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I have 5 DPMS rifles and will buy/build more when I get back from the sandbox
Never and rifle or part issues.  My M4gery shot up around 1500 rounds last summer in preparation for my current deployment,
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Curious if  anyone has anything to say....good or bad....about DPMS? I mean they are priced to sell, but is that due to a lack of quality?

Scout

A, B, C.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I picked up 2 DPMS lowers from Del-Ton and completed one project 20" A3 and I am half way through the second 14.5" M4.

Quality, fit and finish appear to be as good if not better than anybody else's lowers - lowers are the only DPMS parts in the builds so I can only offer details on the fit and finish of the lowers.

Using: CMT M4 cut Uppers, Colt BCGs, Wilson and  a Colt Barrel - (thanks Del-Ton and Skitch), Colt furniture, RRA LPKs with 2 stage triggers, Colt "carry handles",
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I have not had good luck with their parts..
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#39]
DPMS hires drunken monkies to machine their bolts and carriers. I'm not buying another.

That said, I don't hate them. I'm just going to choose to avaoid them.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanx for all the input, much appreciated.

Scout
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top