Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:44:52 PM EDT
I'm planning on to replace an post ban receiver on my Bushmaster XM15 do you have to replace the bolt carrier and change handle?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Topic Posted By BushmasterfanXm15:
Replace a post ban upper Receiver

What makes an upper receiver post ban?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not spend @ $50.00 at ADCO and get a flash surpresor.?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
There is nothing pre or post ban about an upper receiver. The barrel may have the banned features, bayonet lug, threaded muzzle, flash hider, but the upper receiver is not a banned item. Similarly the bolt and bolt carrier are not or were not affected by the ban so you do not need to replace them.

If you want the evil features on the barrel, all you have to do is replace the barrel, not the upper receiver.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
+1

send it to adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you  take to ADOC Nice AR-15  GI Brat.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Before ADCO
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=570
After ADCO
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32545
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32546

Is that an HBAR barrel?
Jim

I may have to spend $50.00 on my post ban Colt. Did you just remove and send the upper, or did you have to remove the barrel?
I have thought about having my 20" barrel cut back to 18" or 16", but haven't made up my mind.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Before ADCO
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=570
After ADCO
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32545
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32546

Is that an HBAR barrel? Yes
Jim

I may have to spend $50.00 on my post ban Colt. Did you just remove and send the upper, or did you have to remove the barrel?
I have thought about having my 20" barrel cut back to 18" or 16", but haven't made up my mind.
Jim

I sent them the complete upper minus CH, BCG. I would also remove the hand guards.

Thanks Brat.
Where in Texas are you? I'm in Ft.Worth.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
How long was the turnaround from ADCO?
Did you have your barrel contour changed or just a FH installed?
Which FH is that?
Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
What GIBrat did is the way to go; why spend extra cash on getting a new upper when you can convert your current upper to "No Ban, Piss the Brady's up" Configuration? Just remove the AK Brake, swape the FSB with one that has a Bayo Lug and attach a Phantom or Vortex Hider.

Beautiful end result.

BTW, nice "Phantom II" Avatar.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
If I have them cut my 20" barrel to 16" carbine length what would I need to do to the gas system? I know I would need new handguards or a free float tube.
I mighty just have it threaded and a flash suppressor installed- if I do anything.
I need to get adjusted to this rifle. If it shoots tiny groups as is I ain't gonna touch it. I'll just buy another upper.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a Bushmaster upper laying around with a brake permanently mounted on it. I want to de-neuter it with a permanently mounted original Phantom with the teeth so I don't need a bayonet mount. But then, I would need to get another lower...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Perfect replica of a Colt Model 727 a la "BHD" style (except for the enhanced buttstock, but eh!)

I figure attach a red dot to it and that should be it. I think is beautifil just like that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I do a lot of shipping of high dollar merchandise.

Advice... when you pack a barrel or an upper, tape some heavy cardboard over the ends.  Then wrap the whole thing in several layers of bubble wrap, paying attention to wrap around each end.  You want at least 2" of thickness of bubble wrap, 3" is better.  On the each end you want no less than 3" of bubble wrap.

If the pkg is dropped on its side, it is not likely that there will be any damage as the force will be spread over the whole side of the barrel or upper half.

BUT when the pkg is dropped on end, that force is concentrated on the very small muzzle, or the chamber end of the barrel, or back end of the receiver.  This can punch through wrapping and damage the item you are shipping.

Also, you don't want a hole punched in the end, things hanging out, people seeing what is in the box.  So pay a lot of attention to padding the ends.

Do not use a box with gun company logos.  The contents are to be described as "machine parts".

Addressing:  You do not want to use a shipping address like  "Johnny's Gun Shop", etc.  For companies like J&T, ADCO, etc, those names are pretty innocuous.  So, call "Johnny's" and ask if you can ship to JGS, Inc or whatever alternate name he uses.  Many gun businesses work this way, it reduces the theft problem.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I do a lot of shipping of high dollar merchandise.

Advice... when you pack a barrel or an upper, tape some heavy cardboard over the ends.  Then wrap the whole thing in several layers of bubble wrap, paying attention to wrap around each end.  You want at least 2" of thickness of bubble wrap, 3" is better.  On the each end you want no less than 3" of bubble wrap.

If the pkg is dropped on its side, it is not likely that there will be any damage as the force will be spread over the whole side of the barrel or upper half.

BUT when the pkg is dropped on end, that force is concentrated on the very small muzzle, or the chamber end of the barrel, or back end of the receiver.  This can punch through wrapping and damage the item you are shipping.

Also, you don't want a hole punched in the end, things hanging out, people seeing what is in the box.  So pay a lot of attention to padding the ends.

Do not use a box with gun company logos.  The contents are to be described as "machine parts".

Addressing:  You do not want to use a shipping address like  "Johnny's Gun Shop", etc.  For companies like J&T, ADCO, etc, those names are pretty innocuous.  So, call "Johnny's" and ask if you can ship to JGS, Inc or whatever alternate name he uses.  Many gun businesses work this way, it reduces the theft problem.

Most of the time I ship with Fed-Ex( I have a hub within a mile of my house). They have yet to mangle anything,  but for everything there is a first time.
When I have shipped before I used the boxes other rifles came- basically rectangles.
Is there any advantage to using a tube or triangle shaped "box"?
Jim
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#21]
No advantage to using other shapes.  You want the "plain brown wrapper" effect.  Just a box.  You do not want ANY gun company logo on the box.

Also, rather than ship a long gun assembled, in a long slim box (which is more likely to be bent in the middle, take the stock off if possible.  Wrap the parts separately.  In the case of an AR, split the upper from the lower.  A short, fat box is less likely to draw attention, whereas the long skinny box shouts "RIFLE".   A long skinny box is more likely to fall over, be tripped on, than a rectangular box.  Plus traveling over conveyor belts.

And again, lotsa bubble wrap and pnuts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top