BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:36:37 PM EDT
I have been a member for a while but have never posted....
(just love reading the posts and learning some new stuff)  
I have a few handguns....and now I am looking for an AR....
Please before any of you offer your advice....I do not want any of the light weight carbon fibre stuff...I want a real gun.......
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]

My advice is to get a mid-length 16" - flat-top.

I believe RRA, Armalite and CMMG (and probably others) make them.

Or get a lower (tons of manufacturers out there), and then buy an upper from one of the vendors on this site.  

Welcome to the board!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome AR_Girl.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifle or carbine?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Believe I want a carbine.......I have looked at a few a the shows and they just seem to fit better than the rifle length.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you looking to purchase one off the shelf, buy one custom built, or mix an upper/ lower yourself?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello AR _girl  . Check RRA out as well as Bushie. Stay away from Olypic and DMPS ( some of there models. Get a chrome lined barrel also. , Good luck WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Me and the wife (CHLMama) Say welcome. Get a lower build it, and buy a used Bushy upper off the equipment exchange. Something in a 16 in length. Yoll be in it say 450 to 600 total, and youll know it inside and out. My wife builds now too, .... It is easy. Easier than puting together your facees..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
My suggestion would be a Rock River Arms Elite CAR A4

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the site!!!  It's always great to have a female gun owner/shooter, we just need more of ya to do the same

I don't blame you for not wanting any of the plastic shit (except for Glock )

if you are looking for an AR I would recommend anything from the top tier manufactuers (Colt, Bushy, RRA, Armalite)

good luck and if you think you liked firearms before just wait until you get yourself an AR
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I am leaning to the build right now......Still a little up in the air.......Looking at the J&T 16" CAR Kit ....but I want the M4 stock and the detachable carry handle......give me option for optics for "yote" hunts later...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you get to a point where you think building is the way you want to go, you may want to start an additional thread in the builder section.  J&T Distributing is one of the better kit companies to deal with.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
LOVE my Glock......and my Smith.......
Honestly I am a little scared of Colt.....to many horror stories on support.....
Bushmaster seems okay .....I will make up my mind eventually.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember that if you build, support from the company is pretty much out the window if you use assorted parts.  If you can get over that idea, and aren't in a hurry, you can build an AR pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LOVE my Glock......and my Smith.......
Honestly I am a little scared of Colt.....to many horror stories on support.....
Bushmaster seems okay .....I will make up my mind eventually.....

If I had to recommend one AR it would be a Bushy A3 14.5" or 16" carbine

and I also LOVE my Glock
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]
RRA makes a good rifle.  The Elite Car was my first real AR.  A bit heavy under the handguards but that can be re-contoured.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I vote for a 14.5" M4 type carbine. I would start out with an A2. I cant really comment on brands since all I have is a Colt SP1 but I had a Mega lower (you might have seen it before on the SP1 upper...traded it for a Colt lower) and that was very good quality. I've heard of Mega's being tight in the magwell but mine was perfect. The finish was a nice dark black and would have been great if my upper wasn't Colt Grey. (ETA: I got my Mega from Ameetec Arms. Sadly they are out of stock right now. Try Iblis (Clinton) on the Equipment Exchange if you want a Mega) Anyways, good luck with your build. Welcome to AR15.com. A warning though: AR15's are like Pringles. Once you pop, you just can't stop...(translation: you get one AR, expect for that AR to multiply and your monetary reserves to dwindle slowly, or rapidly, depending on how bad your case of Black Rifle Disease, or BRD, is.)

B_D
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
welcome aboard
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome!
We expect pics of your FIRST AR.
There Will be others...but the first is always special!

The (Wiley) Ol Crew Chief
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to trcommend a 16" mid-length.  They are available from RRA, Armalite, M-Aparts & Cav-Arms.  I've bought kits from J&T and from M-Aparts before and they were great.  I have a midlength RRA that I got through ADCO, which is also a good company.  The midlength looks more balanced, but more importantly, has a smoother gas system than the carbine, less stress on the working parts and more real estate on the forearm.  I second the build recommendations.  It isn't very hard and really helps with understanding how the parts go together.  Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome to Arfcom Ar_Girl. I personally like Bushmaster (what you make anyone think that? ). My advice is to Buy an A3 Bushmaster Carbine and plenty of magazines & ammo for it. After you shoot it and get practice with it, then upgrade it if you want. The best accessories won't be found all from one company, as alot of us here buy different things from different places. Magpul, VLTOR, PRI & Trijicon are some of my personal Favorites to name a few. Good Luck with your first AR, but whatever you do, make well informed decisions.

Nathan

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]
First, Welcome

Second, Just stick with name brand stuff and you will be fine.

I prefer Stag/CMT, Bushy, or RRA.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]
RRA Entry or an Ultralight barreled Bshmaster would be the simple way to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#23]
My GF, and her friends love their Cavalry Arms ARs. They are 1lb. lighter, and have a little shorter length of pull which really helps when you re going to put 1K rounds down range in a day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My suggestion would be a Rock River Arms Elite CAR A4
www.rockriverarms.com/images/nbrela4.gif

Welcome to the board!

The weapon in the pic is what I have, and I have been extremely pleased!  I put mine together on a seperate Rock River lower, but everything is the same.  I have an Aimpoint on mine too, and it mounts perfectly on RR's tactical carry handle - like in the pic.  

-K
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I would agree with starting on a Rock River mid length, with a chrome lined barrel. Sights are up to you, then optics later. Learn your iron sights first then upgrade to optics later.  It sounds like you already have some experience with the AR and it is a very user friendly system and very accurate.

Welcome aboard!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Believe I want a carbine.......I have looked at a few a the shows and they just seem to fit better than the rifle length.

We need a picture to assure this is true.

I'm just messing with you.

I like the A2's but you said you don't then you can't go wrong with a carbine of any sort.  RRA, Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, take your pic.  

I buy some stuff from ADCO and like his service very much.  He does custom stuff but also carries complete RRA rifles.  

The choices are mindboggling.  You may want to figure out what your mission is for the weapon and people can help you better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
You can throw DSA in the mix too, they make some nice ones

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Get what you like. Everyone here is going to have a million different suggestions for atleast 5+ pages with what they think you should get. Just pick from one of the good name brands mentioned and stay away from the bad brands mentioned.

Just pick one by  whoever has the best deal going right now, which brand has the type of finish you like, or what picture looks the best on the reciever, . Every good brand has it's own small pros and cons so it doesn't matter enough to sit here and listen to a million opinions.

I would reccommend going to gun shows and gun shops and handling different styles then make up you mind how you want yours configured. Then go look for the best deal on the internet. What one person may like may not be your taste. You won't make the best decision for yourself from the computer chair.

Just make sure the bore is chrome lined. Most companies it's an option, not standard. Before getting the M-4 handguards just make sure it fits your hands well. Don't get it just because it's what the military uses.  I have medium sized hands and prefer the CAR stock because it's easier to grip (for me) and less bulky.

Good luck, and Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Since you WILL be customizing it, I would recommend an RRA carbine, myself; they are a good rifle, and won't burn you too bad on the initial purchase price.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Welcome Aboard!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#32]
   Just wanted to say Welcome!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Please before any of you offer your advice....I do not want any of the light weight carbon fibre stuff...I want a real gun.......

j/k

welcome !
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Once you get your flattop, get to know the guys in the industry fourm. www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=2. MSTN and G&RTactical can get you the gear you want on your ar in the future.

welcome

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Welcome,

I would recommend that you build instead of buy because you can get a better firearm for your money that way. It is also the best way to get up to speed on the platform.

I would not advise going with a complete kit. Buy a lower and a lower parts kit (LPK) and the stock of your choice and build that up yourself. For the upper, you can buy a complete upper from a number of sources or build it up yourself with the right tools.

If you are only going to be building one upper, the cost of the tools does not make sense but you may be able to find a forum member close to you that will either let you borrow their tools or help you with the build.

As for what to build, I would suggest a 16” barrel with a Mid-length gas system. I would suggest that the barrel you use be chrome lined and have a profile that is lighter then an HBAR. There are a lot of good mid-length options right now. If I were looking to buy a one right now for a basic carbine, I would look at either Sabre Defence or the new line from Bravo Company due out shortly.

One last suggestion, don’t be in a hurry. Spend some time getting to know what all of the options are and what advantages each of them has. Know what you are buying and why. Basically, take your time and do it right the first time.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/k

welcome !

a big +1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Welcome ar_girl.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Check out the Stag / CMT uppers and lowers at www.eaglefirearms.net/

Should be able to get ya a NICE M4gery for about $700.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Slow start boys.  When a girl posts I demand to see the thread hit 4 pages deep inside of 5 minutes.

This is a terrbible performance.  I expect more out of deprived arfcomers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I would say, get something decent for your first one to set the tone.  When you are new, its hard to figure out if the problems are you or the gun and taking the gun out of the problem is nice.  I would say Colt LE6920.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I would suggest - if you have a 9mm glock - to lock at Oly's new AR that takes the stick Glock 9mm mags - a pussy cat to shoot and cheaper ammo than .223.    But of course it isn't a "real" carbine because its not a rifle round (but the 9mm slug commencing from the barrel will be darn near or better than a .357 slug) - but I have thought of purchasing one for my wife as an intro gun to the bigger / louder variety.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Welcome to the boards. Good luck with you decision.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I am still learning this sight.....so a little advice on this would be great.....that way when I do get the "girl" finished I can post pics.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Everyone keeps telling me to go chrome lined..... I know this adds life to the barrel but what about accuracy issues.....Or is it too little to tell????????
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Ha Ha.....Once I get it done I will let you be the judge for me.....Deal?????
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Everyone keeps telling me to go chrome lined..... I know this adds life to the barrel but what about accuracy issues.....Or is it too little to tell????????

to little to tell, get the chrome lined
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Welcome,ar_girl from MattyMattel and his Mouse Gun!!!! There are some good folks at J&T,also,don't forget Centerfire in Versailles!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Welcome,ar_girl from MattyMattel and his Mouse Gun!!!! There are some good folks at J&T,also,don't forget Centerfire in Versailles!

Yea...I have talked to those folks a few times....J&T and Centerfire....I believe thats who I will use for my first build......
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#50]

We need a picture to assure this is true.

h

I like the A2's but you said you don't then you can't go wrong with a carbine of any sort.  RRA, Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, take your pic.  

I buy some stuff from ADCO and like his service very much.  He does custom stuff but also carries complete RRA rifles.  

The choices are mindboggling.  You may want to figure out what your mission is for the weapon and people can help you better.

I am still learning this site....Just got the quote thing worked out....
When I get the "girl" done....I will let you be the judge......Deal.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top