Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:44:16 AM EDT
What is the best universal powder for loading for HP (2520)?  I will be shooting mostly 69gr and less bullets.  I have some 748 I also need to burn but it does not meter to well in my Lee dispenser.  I do not know what to do with it, I heard it makes good fertalizer.

How far off the lands are you all seating?

I have a Colt Hbar with 1-9" twist.  Any starting suggestions would be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My starting suggestion would be to go to the competitions forum under the "General" tab and read up on all the different theories.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked there is not much there, just two pages.  I may not be lookin in the right place.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
nationalmatch.us

Register there and enjoy the best site on the net about highpower.  You will find the answer to that and many other questions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How far off the lands do you all set your rounds?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How far off the lands do you all set your rounds?

I load my Hornady 75 AMAXs .010" off, but that will depend on your rifle and on your load.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is the best universal powder for loading for HP (2520)?  I will be shooting mostly 69gr and less bullets.  I have some 748 I also need to burn but it does not meter to well in my Lee dispenser.  I do not know what to do with it, I heard it makes good fertalizer.

How far off the lands are you all seating?

I have a Colt Hbar with 1-9" twist.  Any starting suggestions would be helpful.

For NRA High Power I use 24 gr. of AA2230 with a 69 gr. SMK HPBT and the OAL was magazine length (2.260). This load produces less then MOA in my 6724. Below is a group I shot the other day from the bench at 200 yards. Edge to edge was 1.209 inch.  Edit; my 6724 Colt has 1/9 twist and I reload with a Dillon with ball type powders that  meters excellent.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
desiredusername,

If you are talking about High Power match rifle shooting seat the bullets so the rounds will feed through your magazines.  Generally 2.260" +/- .010"  OAL depending on your magazines.  Usually only your long range ammo will have the bullets seated out close to the lands which requires single loading.  But for long range (500/600 yards, actually  "midrange") you will need 75/90 grain bullets.  In your 9" twist the Hornady 75 grain A-Max should work ok.  I don't think the Sierra 80 grain bullets will work with it, and I'm not sure about the Sierra 77 grain bullets.  I've never tried any of the Sierra bullets in a 9" twist and GENERALLY anything over the 75 grain Hornady needs an 8" twist, and the 90's like a 6.5" twist.

How far off the lands (for mid and long range) depends on the throat length on your barrel and where your particular barrel likes them seated for best accuracy.

Most common powders seem to be N135, N140, 4895, RL15,  but lots of others will work.   For the heavier bullets at long range N540 is popular.  I have used 748 with some luck when I shot the  69 grain bullet many years ago, never tried 2520.  I think if I had to pick one powder for High Power it would be N140 or RL15.  

Good luck and good shooting,

Phil
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you sure the rifle is 1:9?  I thought most Colts were 1:7.  Presently, I shoot 77gr SMK's for the 200/300 seated to magazine length, pushed by 25grs of Varget(over max load).  For the 600, I shoot Berger 80's seated .015 off, pushed by 24.7grs of Varget(over max load).  I like Varget, but there are others I like, such as the N140.  I had problems with the RL15 in the hot Arizona sun, but others find it works real well!

Now, do you like your bullets naked or dirty(molly)?

Welcome to the sport!  If you make it to Camp Perry this year, look me up, and the first round is on me! (Beer that is!)

Also, are you in the panhandle area?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, the Colt I have is 1:9.  My FIRST match is Sunday.  I will be loading test rounds to see what my rifle likes.  Test on Saturday, sweat on Sunday.  I am really just wishing for no misses.  We shoot at reduced targets, 100 yards.  I am new to this whole thing and am really excited,

Thanks to all of you who posted info!

I am also working on a load for my Encore 223 pistol. 1:12" twist.

For the AR I think I will try 23.5 and 24.0 grains of 4895 under a 68smk; seated to function length as mentiond.  That will save me a trip to the store for more powder.

There is a lady that shoots at my range that is a High Master!  Everyone seems to be very helpful.  Thanks again, I hope I have found a new sport that I can enjoy learning about.  I did place second last week in the military bolt action match with my K31 and reloads.

El tirador, I am near Tampa.

Should I use the factory crimper on my rounds?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
NO CRIMP!

Good luck, let us know how you do.  Highpower is a great sport, great people.  You will enjoy it.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
NO CRIMP,  that makes sense, I was not thinking!  It is strange that you seat to function instead of the distance off the lands.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
NO CRIMP,  that makes sense, I was not thinking!  It is strange that you seat to function instead of the distance off the lands.  

It is impossible to seat a bullet close to the lands and have it fit in the magazine, unless your barrel is very short throated and your bullets fairly short (light).

Don't over think this.  Seat EVERYTHING to magazine length, except ammo used for 500 or 600 yards.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top