Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 4:29:20 PM EDT
well i cant seem to keep my finger off the trigger...i mean i guess i just like the sight of smoke and fire, and the sound, and the shells and dirt flyin...but i dont know when the barrel gets tooo hot. What would be some effects of it overheating beside accuracy and how hot would it have to get to do damage.  btw i have a bushmaster with A3 upper and M4 profile 16" barrel.  I frikin love it so much.  i shot it for the first time yesterday and again today. already put about 600 rounds thru it.  Tried seachin but not to much found.  I think many people would find interest in this topic or i wouldnt have posted.  Thanks so much for any help fellas
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
thats exactly what i wanted to hear, and i want to believe you, but there has to be some kind of limit.  i am a fan of the 30 round burst haha.  maybe im just overcausous if thats even possible. but it gets hot to where i cant realy touch it.   what would be awesome is if there was a temp guage that would go on the barrel under the handguard and have a small readout somewhere. now that would be nice.  i greatly appreciate your response and i dont feel as bad now haha thanks again.  any more input would be appreciated greatly   btw everythign is stock on it  (stock handguards)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If it glows red you need to slow down.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
is there ne chance of it failing  and exploding or blowing up  i just want to make sure we are all safe  and thanks again
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
well i cant seem to keep my finger off the trigger...i mean i guess i just like the sight of smoke and fire, and the sound, and the shells and dirt flyin...but i dont know when the barrel gets tooo hot. What would be some effects of it overheating beside accuracy and how hot would it have to get to do damage.  btw i have a bushmaster with A3 upper and M4 profile 16" barrel.  I frikin love it so much.  i shot it for the first time yesterday and again today. already put about 600 rounds thru it.  Tried seachin but not to much found.  I think many people would find interest in this topic or i wouldnt have posted.  Thanks so much for any help fellas

Fired six 30 round magazines, and then a ten round magazine as fast as I could pull the trigger on my Bushmaster M4 14.5inch barrel with Phantom. My finger was really getting tired, but I did melt the handguards a little near the top, so this would be damage. You should be ok for about 4 magazines.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I went thru 2 Beta-C's and 6 30 round magazines in less than 20 minutes with a M4 upper yesterday.

That Barrel got really hot, I mean really hot
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it glows red you need to slow down.

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks a lot fellas i hope this is useful to others  btw im shootin wolf polymer. i liek it so far. guns smells like amonia kinda . but im ok with that.  haha this is stupid but how do you use the sights on it  where exactly do you put the front sights in accordance to the rear  aka where do you line them up
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are really curioius to see how hot the barrel gets, you could possibly try an infrared thermometer.  They're available for under $100 and are pretty darn accurate.  Just point and shoot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Cook off happens around 600F. If you do a 30rd mag dump from a 14.5" M4 barrel in 90F ambient temperature, you will get the temperature to around 210F. Sustained rate of fire (the rate of fire that can be maintained indefinitely) is 12-15rpm.

Of course any heat will accelerate barrel wear; but if you just need 4MOA @100yds, then you can be pretty abusive to an AR barrel and still get 20k rounds out of it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
thanks a lot fellas i hope this is useful to others  btw im shootin wolf polymer. i liek it so far. guns smells like amonia kinda . but im ok with that.  haha this is stupid but how do you use the sights on it where exactly do you put the front sights in accordance to the rear  aka where do you line them up

Good info here

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
When I go to the range, I usually will shoot the first 2 mags pretty fast, and then let the barrel cool off some. It helps to take 2 rifles if you have them and just alternate between the hot one and the cool one.

As rule of thumb, I would stop shooting when the exposed part of the barrel gets too hot to hold with your bare hand. This practice has worked well for me, but then I usually only shoot 150-200 rounds per range visit.  YMMV.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top