Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:06:49 PM EDT
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm new to ARs (not guns).

I just got a Colt LE6920, and have been zeroing it, field stripping, "bonding"....
You all would be proud of me. I noticed a ding on the finish (not sure if I did it or not), but I don't care.

My question is this: I noticed that the bracket that holds the rear iron sight will move back and forth when I torque on it. Seems to spring back into a position, but it still jiggles. Is this the way they're designed? The fixed sights on my other firearms are quite immovable once you adjust them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the way it should be. No worries.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Good.

The other thing I noticed was that when I first removed the handguard, there was a rubber band inside! It could've burned me if it melted into my palm. Should I return it to Colt?

Just kidding. It's true, but I think I can deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That is the way it should be. No worries.

+1

a rubberband under the handguards? add it to the list of other things under colts quality control
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
a rubberband under the handguards? add it to the list of other things under colts quality control

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone's quality control slips. I'm just glad that when colt's quality control slips, all that goes wrong is a rubber band where it doesn't belong.  I would rather have that than canted front sights and purple recievers...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, but purple is the color of royalty.........at least that is what my niece says as she parades around my sister's place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote18.htm

The Armalite Tech Notes (go to www.armalite.com and click on Tech Notes button on the left) has a tremendous wealth of information.  Read all of the notes.

Tech Note 18 says:

"The rear sight of M16A2 rifles is spring loaded in such a manner that it tends to rotate counterclockwise, as viewed from above. This biasing is caused by a ball and plunger in the left wall of the sight base, which presses against a surface of the receiver and forces the base to rotate. This is a means of taking up accumulated slack in the parts of the sight. The spring loading insures that the sight is always in the same position, even if cocked somewhat to the side. Keeping the sights consistently in the same position aids accuracy."

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote18.htm

The Armalite Tech Notes (go to www.armalite.com and click on Tech Notes button on the left) has a tremendous wealth of information.  Read all of the notes.

Tech Note 18 says:

"The rear sight of M16A2 rifles is spring loaded in such a manner that it tends to rotate counterclockwise, as viewed from above. This biasing is caused by a ball and plunger in the left wall of the sight base, which presses against a surface of the receiver and forces the base to rotate. This is a means of taking up accumulated slack in the parts of the sight. The spring loading insures that the sight is always in the same position, even if cocked somewhat to the side. Keeping the sights consistently in the same position aids accuracy."

SUPERB....  This is exactly why so many continue to come here for the correct info.   While I would have just said, and have with this questiong before, "It's normal"...  I have to take a minute to say a big
+1
for your taking the time to reference it for a new guy.

Now, back to work.... lol
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top