Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 9:37:08 AM EDT
Windham, ME (January 13th, 2006) - The Texas Department of Public Safety announces the award of a contract to Bushmaster
Firearms of Windham, Maine for 3,008 16” Barreled M4A3 Type Removable Carry Handle Carbines. G.T. Distributors in Austin, Texas was the contractor for this bid, and W. L. Carter Company, a Manufacturer’s Representative for Bushmaster, contributed significantly toward winning this contract.

Israel M. Anzaldua, Bushmaster’s Director of Law Enforcement & Government Sales reported that; “This project was 3 years in the making, and it all came together with the help of Jim Orr of G. T. Distributors and Brad Locker of W. L. Carter Company. The success in this contract reflects Bushmaster’s continuing commitment to serving Law Enforcement, Government and International markets, as well as our commercial customers”.

The program involves an eight month commitment from Bushmaster to deliver 400 rifles per month beginning January 16, and ending on August 16, 2006. Beyond that date, there is the possibility of a re-order for several hundred more rifles. This contract also includes a requirement for Armorer’s Course training at the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Florence and Austin facilities. Approximately 100 T.D.P.S. personnel will be trained in weapons maintenance, repair, and future upgrades for the Bushmaster Rifles.

Representatives from the State of Texas put the Bushmaster Rifle – as well as products from other competitors for this contract – through intense testing. The weapons were dropped onto hard surfaces, dragged for 350 yards, submerged for 15 minutes in mud and water; and then fired (465 rounds) as fast as possible. Following those torture tests, the weapons were then fired for accuracy. At the conclusion, the Bushmaster had passed all trials, and became the weapon of choice for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for them.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
good deal!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I’d like to know what other manufactures were apart of the test
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
semi or full/burst?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad to see Bushmaster get the contract.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Keep in mind that the statement above doesn't say that any other manufacturer failed, just that Bushmaster passed.  Perhaps all the rifles entered passed, and any one of them woudl have qualified for the contract, but Bushmaster made them the best offer and got the deal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind that the statement above doesn't say that any other manufacturer failed, just that Bushmaster passed.  Perhaps all the rifles entered passed, and any one of them woudl have qualified for the contract, but Bushmaster made them the best offer and got the deal.

Thats the glamour of weapon testing, cheapest bid that can pass the test gets the contract.

Its what the public demands.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for Bushy. They make a fine weapon.

And as for bids, as long as the requirements are met...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Texas Dept of Public Safety only has 114 employees...what will they need 3000 rifle for?

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Texas Dept of Public Safety only has 114 employees...what will they need 3000 rifle for?

Just wondering.

Border control
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived down there for three years (more than 10 years ago) and I thought the Texas State Troopers were employees of the Dept of Public Safety
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
cool
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

Border control

We can only hope!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the same type of publicity that RRA used to boost sales...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sucks for those guys.  That's why we spec'd absolute Mil-Spec for our rifles.  NO KNOCK OFFS!  We still got sued but other makers than colt claiming they made a "substantially similar" product.  They lost and we have genuine colt M-4s;)

This stuff makes me mad.  BM and other crap makers profit by endangering those of us who use the tools on the job.  They sell a less reliable and lower quality product knowingly endangering officers.  What a crock.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

Because Chuck Norris eats ARs for breakfast.

But seriously, whre'd you get the idea that DPS has only 114 employes?  There are more Texas Rangers than that (118 commissioned officers), and they're only one division of the DPS.  There are thousands of regular DPS officers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sucks for those guys.  That's why we spec'd absolute Mil-Spec for our rifles.  NO KNOCK OFFS!  We still got sued but other makers than colt claiming they made a "substantially similar" product.  They lost and we have genuine colt M-4s;)

This stuff makes me mad.  BM and other crap makers profit by endangering those of us who use the tools on the job.  They sell a less reliable and lower quality product knowingly endangering officers.  What a crock.

What a Fu%$ing moron!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thousands of departments trust their officers w/ these rifles...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Good for Bushmaster!!!
Looks like Bushy stuff might be hard to get for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If he only knew...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

I'm sure there are more then 114 DPS officers patrolling the highways of Texas. Plus I'm sure there are multiple ancillarty agencies that fall under DPS that have more then 114 employees.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Other then the lower receiver extension, what parts of a Bushmaster don't meet your standard?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other then the lower receiver extension, what parts of a Bushmaster don't meet your standard?

Thre's no pretty prancing pony on the side.  And they don't have the proper "F" FSB.  Or the M4 feedramp cuts.  And their barrels aren't all HPT and MPI.  And the bolts aren't MPI.  And....

Haven't you read enough Kool Aid threads to have all this down yet?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll raise you
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Since I own a Bushmaster that, and I tried 4 times, they would not fix the factory installed canted FSB on, I hope that they get better customer service than I got.

I like when U.S. firearms makers get contracts from LE/Gov't sources, but having been let down buy Bushmaster, all I can say is good luck to the Texas DPS...

It's really to bad..I like the fit and finish of my M4, as well as it's reliability and accuracy,  but due to Bushmaster's failure to fix it, it will be my first and last Bushmaster product.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Since I own a Bushmaster that, and I tried 4 times, they would not fix the factory installed canted FSB on, I hope that they get better customer service than I got.

I like when U.S. firearms makers get contracts from LE/Gov't sources, but having been let down buy Bushmaster, all I can say is good luck to the Texas DPS...

It's really to bad..I like the fit and finish of my M4, as well as it's reliability and accuracy,  but due to Bushmaster's failure to fix it, it will be my first and last Bushmaster product.

Fix it yourself since they refuse to do it...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Seriously - you called Bushmaster and spoke to them, and they refused to fix it?   That sucks, and would piss me off!

My experience with Bushmaster customer service was excellent.  With one of my rifles, I didn't like the fit between upper and lower (a purely cosmetic and slight issue) - most people would never even have noticed what bothered me.  When I called them and complained to them about it, they had UPS pick it up from my house and put a new upper on it and sent it back.  When I still wasn't 100% happy with the fit, they once again had UPS pick it up from my house and this time sent me a new rifle.  No questions asked.   At any time, they could reasonably have told me to STFU, because there really was nothing WRONG with the rifle, other than me being incredibly anal.  

Sorry to hear they didn't make it right for you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fix it yourself since they refuse to do it...

Oh I did....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously - you called Bushmaster and spoke to them, and they refused to fix it?   That sucks, and would piss me off!

My experience with Bushmaster customer service was excellent.  With one of my rifles, I didn't like the fit between upper and lower (a purely cosmetic and slight issue) - most people would never even have noticed what bothered me.  When I called them and complained to them about it, they had UPS pick it up from my house and put a new upper on it and sent it back.  When I still wasn't 100% happy with the fit, they once again had UPS pick it up from my house and this time sent me a new rifle.  No questions asked.   At any time, they could reasonably have told me to STFU, because there really was nothing WRONG with the rifle, other than me being incredibly anal.  

Sorry to hear they didn't make it right for you.

Yes I was really surprised too...I have used Bushmaster parts for years, and never had an issue.

I talked to 4 different people. When each one asked where I got it and did I have the reciept and paperwork, I was honest. I said no-I got it in a trade and went to shoot it and I could not zero it...I ran outa right windage.

Each time, I was told that since I was not the orginal owner and that I had no paperwork to send in with the gun that they would not fix it.

So I got a PRI folding FSB and was done with it. When I drove the taper pins out and took the FSB off to install the PRI, I could see that the pin holes was badly drill. They were very crooked.  

I'll more than likely keep it unless I can find a local deal on a Colt 6920, then I'll dump it.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
The weapons were dropped onto hard surfaces, dragged for 350 yards, submerged for 15 minutes in mud and water; and then fired (465 rounds) as fast as possible. Following those torture tests, the weapons were then fired for accuracy.

With all of the "manufacturers" supplying essentially identical weapons, I fail to see how these tests could differentiate between them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Here we go . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . again.

Guy;  do some research before spitting crap out of your can.  Jeez.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

Just wondering where you got this figure from?  I realize you don't even live in the United States, much less, Texas, but you do realize Texas is a big place right?  Over 22 million people.  Just the DPS office in my town, about 130,000 people has 12 Highway Patrol Troopers, 2 DL Troopers, 2 Corps, 1 Sgt, 1 Lt, 1 Cpt, 1 Ranger Sgt, 2 DPS Int Sgts, 4 Narc Sgts, 1 Special Crimes Sgt, and that is just off the top of my head.  Almost 30 DPS officers just in my town, you think we have one third of the state's DPS manpower in a small town.  There are well over 3,000 Troopers in Texas.  And no, there are no other departments under DPS.  Each state law enforcement agency is free standing; DPS, TABC, TPWD, AG...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#35]
FedDC,

I'll bite...who is the "We" in your troll post? since you tried to imply that you are on the pointy tip of the spear and require only the best i will submit to you that i have seen hundreds (yes hundreds)  of Bushmasters in iraq in contractors hands. Blackwater is probably the largest scale user i saw. are they bush league compared to you and your elite needs? or howabout the USMC, the only M4 i fired in military service was an old bushmaster fixed handle M4 with almost no finish on it. ran like a top.

care to back up your "bushmaster is crap" argument?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a Fu%$ing moron! hr

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you and all the "it looks the same" crowd do some actual research in what makes an M-4 and M-4.  

Like Park under the FSB so it doesn't rust.  

An F marked FSB that is the correct height.

A Chrome Lined Brl that is actually 1 in 7, not 1 in 7ish or 1 in 9.  

Proof testing on the brl (All of them, not a sample) and then MP testing.  

The correct extractor spring. (Black not blue)

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

Feed Ramps for reliable feeding...

The list goes on and on...  It is spec'd bc it makes a difference when the gun gets used in the real world and not on the range but I'm guessing that 99% of the people claiming that BM is so great never take their guns into anything more difficult than a carbine course.  

Who is it that has the Technical Data Package on the M-4?  Who actually knows what the specs are?  Who is the ONLY maker of M-4s for DOD?  

Colt.  Everything else is a copy and a poor one at that.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you and all the "it looks the same" crowd do some actual research in what makes an M-4 and M-4.  

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

The list goes on and on...  It is spec'd bc it makes a difference when the gun gets used in the real world and not on the range but I'm guessing that 99% of the people claiming that BM is so great never take their guns into anything more difficult than a carbine course.  

Who is it that has the Technical Data Package on the M-4?  Who actually knows what the specs are?  Who is the ONLY maker of M-4s for DOD?  

Blah blah blah

All those great things and Colt still needed a do-over in the DHS/DOJ carbine trials while RRA did not. 3 Colt samples failed horribly on the first attempt. I wonder why the F marked FSB didnt prevent that

What a clown

**Prays** Please almighty one, give me a civilian SG551 at the SHOT show so I can be born again in a Colt Kool Aid Free world  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone else find these type of posts tiresome?

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here we go . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . again.h

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

You're retarded.  You're saying that, because the extractor spring is blue instead of BLACK! that the rifle will fail in combat???  Or that, because my rifle has a 1 in 9 inch twist, it isn't as reliable, or capable of the same accuracy???  Oh my gosh!  My buffer tube isn't up to spec!  I guess my rifle's gonna blow up when I shoot it.  Seriously, you're so retarded.

My rifle, a RRA M4 is just as accurate and reliable as the colt that I'll assume you own.

Did you know that the barrel on my M4 isn't 14.5 inches long!!!! OMG!!!!  Yeah it's 16!!!!  Guess what?  It still shoots just as good ya damn retard.  (No offense to REAL retards who are probably much smarter than this damn retard.)  Yeah, BLUE extracter spings endanger lives.  BETTER BUY A COLT!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here we go . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . again.h

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

You're retarded.  You're saying that, because the extractor spring is blue instead of BLACK! that the rifle will fail in combat???  Or that, because my rifle has a 1 in 9 inch twist, it isn't as reliable, or capable of the same accuracy???  Oh my gosh!  My buffer tube isn't up to spec!  I guess my rifle's gonna blow up when I shoot it.  Seriously, you're so retarded.

My rifle, a RRA !M4! is just as accurate and reliable as the colt that I'll assume you own.

Did you know that the barrel on my M4 isn't 14.5 inches long!!!! OMG!!!!  Yeah it's 16!!!!  Guess what?  Still shoots just as good ya damn retard.  You're hardheaded arrogance astounds me.

So, you don't think that extractor tension is important?  You do know the difference between the blue and black insert and coresponding springs?  There is a difference in the 20 inch (blue) and the carbine length (Black).  It is a reliability issue.  

As for the rest, rifling twist is important with 77 or 75 grain ammo although not critical.  The buffer tube isn't an issue unless you want to add a SOPMOD stock...not critical but a pain.  

That's great that you are happy with your RRA and I'm sure it is nice but there is a difference in a hobby rifle and a working gun.  That is my point.  Too many people can not understand that certain specs exist for a reason.  DOD didn't spec a part a certain way just for fun, they did it for reliability, accuracy and or durability.  

Your hobby rifle can fail and it isn't a big deal.  If a duty rifle fails, soneone gets hurt or killed.  That duty rifle has to perform for years on end, likely with rare maintenance and when cold, wet, and dirty after having been left in a trunk for a month.  

Wanting a rifle that is up to standard does not make anyone a troll and name calling isn't contributing to the discussion.

You're STILL a retard, retard.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

My rifle, a RRA !M4! is just as accurate and reliable as the colt that I'll assume you own.

Did you know that the barrel on my M4 isn't 14.5 inches long!!!! OMG!!!!  Yeah it's 16!!!!  Guess what?  Still shoots just as good ya damn retard.  You're hardheaded arrogance astounds me.

So, you don't think that extractor tension is important?  You do know the difference between the blue and black insert and coresponding springs?  There is a difference in the 20 inch (blue) and the carbine length (Black).  It is a reliability issue.  

As for the rest, rifling twist is important with 77 or 75 grain ammo although not critical.  The buffer tube isn't an issue unless you want to add a SOPMOD stock...not critical but a pain.  

That's great that you are happy with your RRA and I'm sure it is nice but there is a difference in a hobby rifle and a working gun.  That is my point.  Too many people can not understand that certain specs exist for a reason.  DOD didn't spec a part a certain way just for fun, they did it for reliability, accuracy and or durability.  

Your hobby rifle can fail and it isn't a big deal.  If a duty rifle fails, soneone gets hurt or killed.  That duty rifle has to perform for years on end, likely with rare maintenance and when cold, wet, and dirty after having been left in a trunk for a month.  

Wanting a rifle that is up to standard does not make anyone a troll and name calling isn't contributing to the discussion.

Are you serious?  What are you like 13 and posting from your parents basement?  What did your post add to this discussion?  Grow up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The correct buffer tube.  

MP testing on the bolt.  

Are you serious?  What are you like 13 and posting from your parents basement?  What did your post add to this discussion?  Grow up.

Really.  Why don't you post something well thought out and meaningful.  

Like this:

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, back at you.  I posted what makes a Colt better than a copy.  What makes  BM better than a colt?  Name specifics.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top