Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 7:28:50 AM EDT
How should I look through the iron sights when trying to sight them in?  I have a bushmaster w/ a fixed carry handle on it.  I've had it for about a year and a half and never zero'd in the irons.

Thanks for the help guys

(oh, and pics/sketches would be great if you have them)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Read this.  

TC

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Great guys, thanks a lot!  That article is perfect
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
see my avatar

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
That is a great article, seen it all before but always good to stay fresh.  High pistol grip, focus on the front sight tip!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Read this.  

TC

Thanks a lot Thunderchild great info.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have  very bad focus problems and I've been focusing on the target, not the front sight.

I am anxious to get back to the range after reading that article... thanks, Thunderchild.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have  very bad focus problems and I've been focusing on the target, not the front sight.

That's the best way to shoot poorly.

I'd say about 95% of the people who say their eyes suck for shooting with irons are doing it wrong just like you.

Focus on the tip of the front sight so it is crystal clear is mandatory.  If you have trouble doing that, there are ways to fix that issue.  Let me know if interested (and no, I'm not selling anything ).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say about 95% of the people who say their eyes suck for shooting with irons are doing it wrong just like you.

Focus on the tip of the front sight so it is crystal clear is mandatory. If you have trouble doing that, there are ways to fix that issue.  Let me know if interested (and no, I'm not selling anything ).

Email sent
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
dang...i hate it when i say carry handle...because everytime i say it i cant help but think   kerry  as in john kerry
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
see my avatar

well, there's a start
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
that was helpfull reading  thanks for posting that thunderchild
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Focus on the tip of the front sight so it is crystal clear is mandatory.  If you have trouble doing that, there are ways to fix that issue.  Let me know if interested (and no, I'm not selling anything ).

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Where's the optimum cheek weld with iron sights? or isn't there one? I always go right forward with my nose touching the charging handle when using the iron sights.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where's the optimum cheek weld with iron sights? or isn't there one? I always go right forward with my nose touching the charging handle when using the iron sights.

There isn't one optimum point.  You can be too close, and get whacked in the forehead or eye socket, especially if you have a hooded rear sight.  And you can be too far away, which will make the rear aperture seem too small.  The M16 rear sight has a good amount of eye relief, like a good scope.

My eye relief varies with position, with sitting being the closest, standing the farthest, and prone somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Focus on the tip of the front sight so it is crystal clear is mandatory. If you have trouble doing that, there are ways to fix that issue.  Let me know if interested (and no, I'm not selling anything ).

Email sent

I'll get back to you when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#17]
You're welcome fellow ARFCOMERs.     I keep a printout of that chapter in my range box for new shooters to read.

As far as cheek weld, I try to shoot nose to the CH all the time.  I'll bump it with my nose and back off just a hair.  This way even in low light, I know where I am.  After awhile of doing it right, muscle memory takes over and you just know you've got the right cheek weld for a consistant sight picture.  If you're doing it right, you'll have a Chipmunk cheek on your buttstock or rcvr. extension.

(I'll try to find a picture somewhere...)

ETA: Here's a whole thread of good and bad examples of cheek weld.  Linky

TC

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]
The article recommends making a diagonal pencil mark on the front site post.

Does anyone else have seconds, or alternative recomendations?  I have considered painting my front site post neon orange, for example, to help me focus on it.  Especially in low light, the FS post sort of blends in with the target black and I have a difficult time.

Input from others appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Consistancy is what you're after and for beginners the nose to CH trick helps keep things consistant.

Sight Alignment

Sight Picture

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: I have considered painting my front site post neon orange, for example, to help me focus on it.  

I've done that.  

I found that for precision shooting, it isn't a good idea because it is very difficult to paint a crisp edge at the top of the front sight without painting over the top, and if you paint over the top, the brightness is such that it is difficult to find the exact top edge of the post.  Both of those issues cause vertical dispersion on target.

Now, for real-world applications where close enough is good enough, I think painting the back edge of the front sight would be a great idea.  I would use Testors model paint and I would leave the top and sides of the sight black.  And make sure you use a matte color.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
another Jim Owens fan.... superb.    Back later.

Bump. for tonight when I'm not working.....  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top