Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:08:38 AM EDT
Without even having my first AR I am hooked.  I have read almost everthing I can get my hands on.  The only real game in town for a true lefty (100% mirror image parts) AR is STAG uppers.  From what I can read STAG/CMT are excellent.  Not sure if I want to go lefty on my first or just built a righty the way I want.  It has been many years since I fired a AR in the military and do not remember.  My question is how concerned should I be about brass, gases, etc flying close to my face with a right hand AR.  The prices on the STAG lefty uppers seem a bit more than others but could be well worth the difference.  They also will sell the left upper without barrels etc. so I can get the exact combo I want.  There is a large gun show here next weekend and I am not going to buy anything I get some feedback here and look around at the show.

Thanks

Stan
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site!

i am a righty, but i shoot lefty sometimes and the brass deflector does its job ok....so i say that a righty will work

h/w, since you are a natural lefty, i would go ahead and get the Stag left-handed AR
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
As a fellow lefty, I'd suggest getting a regular right-handed AR.

You can get an ambi mag release and safety for it, and it will be fine.

Then you won't have to worry about nonstandard upper receiver parts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Like STG77, and yourself - I am a lefty  

I would discourage a true lefty AR for the same reasons STG offers

#1 - it isn't a detriment to shoot an AR southpaw

#2 - the parts and resale angles makes it an albatross

Go with the standard, and my educated guess is that you will love it.

another note: I am not a big gun-show "first AR buyer" guy. It is too big a ticket item to approach as an emotional purchase, like gun shows end up being

the option of an Online dealer or Industry types here at AR15, ones with long proven reputations, and terrific customer service makes doing business with a table shop ill-advised

Of course many will disagree , but take it for what its worth.

welcome to AR15!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the welcomes and advice!

Even if I buy at the gun show... I do plan on staying with a few brands that appear to be first rate like, Stag, RRA , Bushmaster, +  more.  I will buy either a complete AR, or a complete upper and built the lower.  I do plan on buying at least 2-3 lowers at the show.  I am pretty handy and have most of the tools necessary on the way.  Beside with all the great advice here it would be hard to mess up the lower.  I can see a much larger gun safe being necessary very soon. Stan
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have five STAG lefty's all in different config's (M4, SPR and SBR 7.3"etc) All set up the way I want, they're my guns...i'm not selling them and dont plan on wearing them out any time soon. Nevermind non standard parts etc. If it's a hobby make it what you want, the parts will be available one way or another. If using it for work, then go with standard stuff...works out better for continuity. Personally, I am on a tac team and use a lefty at work too. Pick it up and it does the samething...if lefties shouldnt worry about brass from standard guns then righties shouldn't worry about brass from lefty guns. I feel like these guns are personalized (they are) and I didn't have to settle. I've said it before...a right handed shooter would not go into a gun store and buy a left handed gun (not at any price) because it wouldnt be designed for him. So why should you do the same, it isn't like you dont have a choice anymore(now you do) STAG has made a totally viable option available to us and it is not to be taken lightly. Quality and material wise they are equal to ANY other AR or variant available. I have all my uppers built with barrels from Douglas, WOA, CMMG and of course STAG. They are built on ambidextrous barrel extensions which work with BOTH right and left handed uppers. So you can sell barrels you dont like to anyone and get something new. Not to mention any left handed gun can be converted to right handed for the price of an upper (probably $200 total) if need be to sell. I shoot lefty guns because I shoot alot and get a mouthful of gas from standard weapons. I'm not worried about brass or debris from standard AR's just blowback gas. Even then I not worried about it I just chose to avoid it. I've spent thousands on lefty semi's and bolt guns...even shotguns for my personal collection and dont regret a cent of it. Do what you will but buy what you WANT...not what you think you should get.

Either way...welcome and enjoy. I've become a bit of a left handed nazi/advocate. I just feel that if lefties started and kept buying lefty parts/guns and embraced the concept then they wouldn't be difficult to sell or find parts for. Granted we are a distinct minority, if there wasn't a market STAG or like companies wouldn't have started. Just a fan of starting a new market as opposed to complying with another. As a matter of fact, working on (and close to obtaining) an FFL for manufacturing (not big time, real low level shit )custom lefty only guns. Again. welcome and good luck whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto with first two of the above responses, with one exception.
Make up your mind about what you want BEFORE you go to the gun show and STICK to it.  Just get the best price(s) for everything. One thing that might work against you if you want build a "lefty" is you can't just find those lefty parts just anywhere if you happen to need a new bolt, etc.

Also, I would also suggest you buy a complete gun unless you have all the skills, knowledge, tools,  blocks for building an AR.  If you build your own, there is no one to blame if it doesn't run except the guy in the mirror.  There are about 55,000 pounds of pressure going off inches away from YOUR face and other body parts, not any one elses.  

Welcome to the BRD world.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the other guys. I have Stag lefty's and love them. They are a dream come true for me. If right handed folks that tell you it makes no difference, tell them you will trade rifles with them, because , after all, it makes no difference.

This is going to be your gun-get what you want and don't let people talk you out of something because it's new and improved.

There is a huge difference in rifles made for left handed people. I have right and left handed rifles, as most of us do, but left handed AR's and my left handed Savages are the best for me.

Stag is top quality. You won't go wrong. And if you get one and don't like it, e-mail me. I could always use another.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]

There is a huge difference in rifles made for left handed people. I have right and left handed rifles, as most of us do, but left handed AR's and my left handed Savages are the best for me.

Stag is top quality. You won't go wrong. And if you get one and don't like it, e-mail me. I could always use another.

Thanks

Savage.... I just got a 110GLXP3 Left-hand in 30-06 with a Burris 4.5-14x42 sitting on top and love it.  Now I have a right 30-06 sitting in the safe never to be used again by me.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a leftey but I agree with the other comments about the non-standard parts.

Also....Welcome to the site
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a lefty, but I don't have a STAG.  I went with a DPMS Southpaw upper, only non-standard parts are the upper receiver and the stripped bolt.  STAG uses more non-standard parts, but retains the door on the ejection port.  Only advantage I can see, is the lack of visual distraction from the brass going by in front of your face (happens with other semi-autos, so I guess I got used to it).  I went with a standard upper for my second AR, and I doubt I'll buy another southpaw.  An ambidextrous safety is worth the money, but I haven't made up my mind about an ambidextrous mag release.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for everyones imput....  I purchased a Rock River Entry Tactical at the gun show yesterday.  After looking at every AR there I decided on the above.  The cost of a complete AR was less than the parts.   I also got 1000 rounds of 55 grain to play with.   Ran home... got the gun cleaning box.... and off the the range.  I was extremely HAPPY with the way it shoot.  Even had a friend with me and I think he had the bug now.  Then back to the gun show  this am to get a mount for the optic's I already had.  The fact that I shot left handed made no difference.  No distraction from the brass or gases..  I also got a lower from the same dealer. It is a High Standard and I was told that it is made at the same factory that makes the RRA lowers.  Already looking to the next AR....  most likely a 20-24 inch nail driver.

Thanks Again...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/stan4231/DSCF0698.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/stan4231/DSCF0700.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/stan4231/DSCF0703.jpg

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
TIt is a High Standard and I was told that it is made at the same factory that makes the RRA lowers.  

I believe that would be CMT a/k/a Stag
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I do remember the dealer saying he was out of Stag lowers and the HS was made by the same company.  Going to a run show is visual, mental, and pocketbook overload.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Im a lefty here also and i have a Bushmaster A3 20" and love it.  Its a RIGHT handed AR and i find it works great for me even being a left handed shooter. The safty works well and natural with my base of my triger finger and the mag release is not a problem and also the deflector works great and have yet got a brass to come close to me. I recomend the RIGHT handed AR for all the reasons that has been mentioned. Good luck
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Without even having my first AR I am hooked.  I have read almost everthing I can get my hands on.  The only real game in town for a true lefty (100% mirror image parts) AR is STAG uppers.  From what I can read STAG/CMT are excellent.  Not sure if I want to go lefty on my first or just built a righty the way I want.  It has been many years since I fired a AR in the military and do not remember.  My question is how concerned should I be about brass, gases, etc flying close to my face with a right hand AR.  The prices on the STAG lefty uppers seem a bit more than others but could be well worth the difference.  They also will sell the left upper without barrels etc. so I can get the exact combo I want.  There is a large gun show here next weekend and I am not going to buy anything I get some feedback here and look around at the show.

Thanks

Stan

Stay away from the lefty Stag rifles. Im sure they are excellent rifles, but they havent been around too long. In the near future I would bet they wont be making these lefty rifles, and then you will be crap out of luck when you need replacement parts. Stick with the regular AR, Im lefty and its works fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Stay away from the lefty Stag rifles. Im sure they are excellent rifles, but they havent been around too long. In the near future I would bet they wont be making these lefty rifles, and then you will be crap out of luck when you need replacement parts. Stick with the regular AR, Im lefty and its works fine.

I'll bet that all the makers start bringing out left hand rifles. Don't forget that there are only a few parts that make it a left hand rifle, and the company that makes them makes parts for all the major players.

Stag is already selling uppers to other companies, and probably bolts as well. Don't you think that they will also sell the left hand products to RRA and HS?

Stag isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I also think that lefty's will be more available.  I might not have this correct... but I think that DPMS has been making the Southpaw for a few years??  I know Stag is a mirror image of a right .. and the  DPMS  Southpaw is not a 100% mirror image.  I talked to several dealers that are going to the dealer show in LV and were interested in talking to Stag about stocking the lefty.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome.
I can see there are two ways to think about a lefty upper,another thing that I think is a selling point to sticking with a right handed AR is that a Ceiner will only work with a right handed model. I am right handed so it is one thing I don't worry about,but I shoot with a couple of guys who shoot lefty because of hand or eye dominance and they all (along with me) shoot like half their rifle rounds with the Ceiner rimfire conversion unit. Most all of them have used a ambi safety with good results. They have messed with some of the ambi mag releases but have gone back to the standard one with better results.
There might be some resale issues if you do deside to go with a lefty stag,but I wouldn't worry about stag going anywere.The DPMS does seem to be somewhat of an odd duck,I wouldn't mess with that unless you run across a killer deal on a used one .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I also think that lefty's will be more available.  I might not have this correct... but I think that DPMS has been making the Southpaw for a few years??  I know Stag is a mirror image of a right .. and the  DPMS  Southpaw is not a 100% mirror image.  I talked to several dealers that are going to the dealer show in LV and were interested in talking to Stag about stocking the lefty.  

The STAG is not an exact mirror image, but it's the closest thing available.  The main drawback I saw to the STAG, is that it won't work with a standard barrel extension, so you'd have to swap that on every barrel you bought, or buy every barrel already setup for the STAG.  It's not something you'd expect to find all the parts for at a local show.

The DPMS Southpaw uses a simple ejection cutout on the left side of the receiver (no door).  The Southpaw bolt has the cam pin hole drilled at a different angle, to reclock the bolt to eject to the left.  The stripped upper receiver and the stripped bolt are the only non-standard parts.  Everything else is normal AR parts.  All the controls are in the same location as on a right-handed AR (I did put an ambi safety on the lower).  The only real difference is which way it throws the brass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently built my first AR w/ a Superior Arms lower and a STAG 16" flat top lefty upper.  I could not be happier.   As a lefty we always have to compromise to a right handed world.  If you don't have to, why?

If you are worried about parts I say pickup an extra bolt carrier and I think you should be good.

I highly recommend products from both companies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Stag is the only way to go if you are left handed.  They are part of Continental Tool a big
company who does defense work. It is a true left hand receiver. The door is on the left,
the shell deflector is on the left, The Carry handle has the mounting screws on the opposite
side so it works correctly, The Bolt/Carrier are true left hand. It is awesome and the only
upper I will shoot. DPMS IS CRAPOLA.  Milling a slot on the left hand of receiver is not
lefthanded.  For all of you posters who say shoot a right handed gun I dare you to shoot
a left handed upper. You won't like it one little bit.

The only left handed shooter I know who shoots with a right handed upper is a shrink
who used to work for the CIA.  He won't shoot a left handed upper because he says thats
not the way god made them. { he is a nut case}

Shame on you for mentioning a right upper for left hand shooter!!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/64578/tammiem16.jpg
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The STAG is not an exact mirror image, but it's the closest thing available.  The main drawback I saw to the STAG, is that it won't work with a standard barrel extension, so you'd have to swap that on every barrel you bought, or buy every barrel already setup for the STAG.  It's not something you'd expect to find all the parts for at a local show.

I talked to Stag directly about the lefty.  According to that person the upper receiver assembly is a 100% mirror image of the right upper.  The will sell just a complete lefty upper reciever with  a AMBI barrel extention required He said setting a barrel with the AMBI extension was a bit more difficult that using a standard extention and advised having a good ar gunsmith install.  I hope they would have provided the correct information.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I talked to Stag directly about the lefty.  According to that person the upper receiver assembly is a 100% mirror image of the right upper.  The will sell just a complete lefty upper reciever with  a AMBI barrel extention required He said setting a barrel with the AMBI extension was a bit more difficult that using a standard extention and advised having a good ar gunsmith install.  I hope they would have provided the correct information.

The STAG is not an exact mirror image.  If it were, the ejection port door would hinge down on the left side of the receiver.  It doesn't.  It hinges up.  If I'm not mistaken, they had to do that to cope with the 'right-handed' bolt release on the lower.  STAG didn't succeed in making a 100% mirror image upper, but (as I stated earlier) it's the closest thing on the market.

I went with the DPMS Southpaw because I was building the AR myself (stripped lower receiver, stripped upper receiver, and a bunch of parts) and didn't want to deal with trying to find too many left-handed parts.  The only control change on the STAG upper, seems to be the relocation of the forward assist.  I don't see why moving that is an improvement, since I can easily hit the forward assist on my Southpaw (or a standard upper) with my left thumb.  If it were moved to the other side, it would be a bit more difficult (for me).  The lack of an ejection port door, does seem to be a less reliable setup, especially since I could remove the firing pin keeper with the upper fully assembled and the bolt closed (it's visible through the ejection port).  

I doubt I'll bother with another "left-handed" upper, but the market constantly proves that what works for one person, doesn't always work for another.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stag is the only way to go if you are left handed.  They are part of Continental Tool a big
company who does defense work. It is a true left hand receiver. The door is on the left,
the shell deflector is on the left, The Carry handle has the mounting screws on the opposite
side so it works correctly, The Bolt/Carrier are true left hand. It is awesome and the only
upper I will shoot. DPMS IS CRAPOLA.  Milling a slot on the left hand of receiver is not
lefthanded.  For all of you posters who say shoot a right handed gun I dare you to shoot
a left handed upper. You won't like it one little bit.

The only left handed shooter I know who shoots with a right handed upper is a shrink
who used to work for the CIA.  He won't shoot a left handed upper because he says thats
not the way god made them. { he is a nut case}

Shame on you for mentioning a right upper for left hand shooter!!!

img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/64578/tammiem16.jpg

Thanks for this advice.... I did buy a RRA entry Tactical....  But I had to see what I was missing.  So I took the plunge.... built a nice lower and topped it off with a STAG 2HL and a Eotech  I'll never go back.  Also purchased a complete lefty upper so I can build a 20 inch AR the way I want it done.

SHAME ON ME for not listening the first time!!!  

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Glad you did get one after all. They are great, aren't they? I've got a 20" lefty from Stag, shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I am going with a lefty as well for my build. Righty or lefty, I wouldn't buy a complete rifle off the shelf because they usually don't come with what I want on them.

Too many parts differences between left and right? 3 is too many? BFD.

Worried about limited parts availability? BFD, Buy a spare like you probably would with a righty upper anyway. Cost isn't a gigantic difference ($50 approx.) when you are spending $1k+ on a rifle anyway. Maintain your rifle properly and it'll last a long time.

Worried about resale? There are other lefties out there or buy a righty upper. I would only sell my guns if I was desperate for the $ and had nothing else to sell.

You a lefty happy shooting a righty? Good for you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#27]
It is awesome...  I think all the right handed people should shot a lefty...  they might understand more.  I am going to build a 20 inch lefty.. not sure about all the parts as yet..  but have a pretty good idea.  I now have the RRA that I am not sure what I am going to do with.  I will post pictures as soon as I get it done.  Maybe we should start a lefty only topic or picture thread??
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am going with a lefty as well for my build. Righty or lefty, I wouldn't buy a complete rifle off the shelf because they usually don't come with what I want on them.

Too many parts differences between left and right? 3 is too many? BFD.

Worried about limited parts availability? BFD, Buy a spare like you probably would with a righty upper anyway. Cost isn't a gigantic difference ($50 approx.) when you are spending $1k+ on a rifle anyway. Maintain your rifle properly and it'll last a long time.

Worried about resale? There are other lefties out there or buy a righty upper. I would only sell my guns if I was desperate for the $ and had nothing else to sell.

You a lefty happy shooting a righty? Good for you!

The one difference is in the complete upper receiver assembly,  and ambi barrel extension.  All other parts are exactly the same.  I got a great deal from a vendor on here on the complete
STAG 2HL upper and the other STAG complete upper receiver assembly.  STAG is the only way to go.  I do not think resale will be a big factor.  I do have a righty RRA entry tactical  but did not like the shell flying by....  I do not think I will shot it much.   I left it at a friends ranch for now. OH, I have a lot less that the 1k in my lefty.  If you are a lefty... and go with a righty you will alway wonder.... go left and do not look back!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It is awesome...  I think all the right handed people should shot a lefty...  they might understand more.  I am going to build a 20 inch lefty.. not sure about all the parts as yet..  but have a pretty good idea.  I now have the RRA that I am not sure what I am going to do with.  I will post pictures as soon as I get it done.  Maybe we should start a lefty only topic or picture thread??

+1 If you start it they will post
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top