Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:36:51 PM EDT
I'm assuming it's legal to use suppressors for hunting game animals, but has anyone confirmed this?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's up to the state.  In my state, NC, it's illegal to hunt with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It is illegal in Texas to hunt with a supressor
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have yet to find any info on NM's stance.  Where should I look?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
not legal in GA
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Not legal in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Just shot off an e-mail to the Law Enforcement Division Chief of the New Mexico Dept. of Game and Fish.  Hopefully I'll hear back.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Odd that a suppressor would make it illegal.  You'd think it would be encouraged.  I'm no expert but I recently read that in most of anti-gun Europe suppressors are required to hunt to keep noise down or something to that effect.  Hunting with .223?  Now THAT should be illegal!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It is interesting, but Ill bet you find that if the use is illegal in your state, they are not illegal for state agencies or contractors.  

I remember reading an article a few years ago about an outfit from Colorado that took 300 dear in two weeks IN CITY LIMITS.....Hell, in peoples back yards, in a county on the East Coast.  If I remember the article correctly, the preffered round was .223, suppressed fired from an overhead position, so the round struck the animal in the skull.  

If the meat was ok, it went to a food bank, if not, straight to landfill.  These were considered nuisance animals, responsible for some deaths and numerous injury accidents on the county roads, as well as property damage, etc.

Quite interesting, most, if not all, of the animals were taken during the hours of darkness.  

Beats working for a living I guess.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It is interesting, but Ill bet you find that if the use is illegal in your state, they are not illegal for state agencies or contractors.  

I remember reading an article a few years ago about an outfit from Colorado that took 300 dear in two weeks IN CITY LIMITS.....Hell, in peoples back yards, in a county on the East Coast.  If I remember the article correctly, the preffered round was .223, suppressed fired from an overhead position, so the round struck the animal in the skull.  

If the meat was ok, it went to a food bank, if not, straight to landfill.  These were considered nuisance animals, responsible for some deaths and numerous injury accidents on the county roads, as well as property damage, etc.

Quite interesting, most, if not all, of the animals were taken during the hours of darkness.  

Beats working for a living I guess.

NOT legal in Ohio either  I wanted to use one for groundhogging.

As for the deer culling, Columbus Metro Parks had a deer problem and resorted to using suppressed .308 Savage bolt guns at night.  They took Sharon Woods Metro Park deer population down to an acceptable number pretty quick.  In that 1 square mile park they had 400 deer and had a carrying capacity of 40!!!!  It's a nice park once again
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
legal in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
yay, keep it legal too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish it was legal to hunt game in TX with a suppressor, I'd go through the paperwork to get one for my SKS  just so I could do it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Legal in Kentucky, then, most things are that are gun related.  

Bob
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It is legal in Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Where dies it say it is illegal to hunt with a suppressor in Texas?

Is it limited to certain animals?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
any 'game' that you would use a tag on is illegal to hunt with a suppressor...... if you have your hunting licenses it is legal to us a fullauto /suppressor on 'varmints' and such  according to my research and time I spent talking to a couple of game wardens.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
It is illegal in NM.  I read something about this recently but I can't remember where.  

CTay
Albuquerque, NM
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Illegal in Oklahoma
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#19]
It's illegal because it gives you an "unfair" advantage in that your shot is "silent".

Pretty much the same reason crossbow hunting is illegal in most states unless you've got a disability that prevents you from drawing a bow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It is illegal in Texas to hunt with a supressor

Well that's not entirely true.

Means and Methods
Firearms

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:

* white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
   * shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
   * pellet guns and other air guns are NOT LEGAL.
   * fully automatic firearms are NOT LEGAL.
   * firearms equipped with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are NOT LEGAL.
   * a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds and lesser prairie chicken (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).

Nongame Animals (Non-Protected): Any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun is legal.

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/means/

I remember a post here a while back by someone in Texas who was killing coyotes with a suppressed 9mm AR-15.  Since they are non-game animals, it is perfectly legal to do so in Texas.

Quoted:
I wish it was legal to hunt game in TX with a suppressor, I'd go through the paperwork to get one for my SKS  just so I could do it.

Gemtech makes a .308 cal suppressor.  Maybe they could custom make you one for the SKS and you could shoot coyotes.

I've looked it up before and there are no such exceptions in New Hampshire.

ETA:

Quoted:
any 'game' that you would use a tag on is illegal to hunt with a suppressor...... if you have your hunting licenses it is legal to us a fullauto /suppressor on 'varmints' and such  according to my research and time I spent talking to a couple of game wardens.

What he ^^^ said.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think it's up to the state.  In my state, NC, it's illegal to hunt with a suppressor.

IM sent.  Can you give specifics on the NC laws?  I can't find anything on the NC DOJ or  NC WRC websites.

Thanks.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IM sent.  Can you give specifics on the NC laws?  I can't find anything on the NC DOJ or  NC WRC websites.

Thanks.

CHRIS

www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_113/gs_113-291.1.html

§ 113‑291.1.  Manner of taking wild animals and wild birds.

(c)       It is a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person taking wildlife to have in his possession any:

(1)       Firearm equipped with a silencer or any device designed to silence, muffle, or minimize the report of the firearm. The firearm is considered equipped with the silencer or device whether it is attached to the firearm or separate but reasonably accessible for attachment during the taking of the wildlife.

(2)       Weapon of mass death and destruction as defined in G.S. 14‑288.8.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Correct, in Texas only those animals classifies as "Game Animals" by TPWD are protected from hunting with a silencer.  That leaves wild hogs, javalina and lots of other great hunting animals A-OK.

Gotta disagree with FredMan though, whoever thinks a suppressor gives you an "unfair" advantage in hunting is misguided.  If that was the case, perhaps we shouldn't allow deer feeders, deer scent, rattling horns, scopes or accurized barrels.  Several of the last 5 deer I've shot have been at 300yds plus.  I hunt in South Texas where long shots thorugh long clearings (AKA senderas) are common.  If you can see it you most likely can kill it fairly easily.  Besides, a suppressor doesn't eliminate the sonic crack of a bullet in flight.  A shot still sounds like a shot, just less intense and harder to tell from which direction it came.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#24]
anjan9,

Thanks much.  I can stop my searching now.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Definately illegal in New York.  Heck, we're lucky we don't have to kill them with thrown rocks...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Illegal in Indiana as well.

I've been thinking of petitioning the Indiana Department Of Natural Resources to allow the use of suppressors for varmint and furbearer hunting. We can only hunt deer with shotguns, so there would be no use in trying to legalize suppressors for all game here.

The IDNR probably believes that suppressors will lead to poaching. I feel that if someone is going to break one law by poaching, they sure as heck aren't going to be worried about breaking another one by using a suppressor as well. They might as well allow them for legal hunting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#28]

You mean I can not use a weapon of mass destruction to go hunting?  There goes the plans that Saddam and I had for hunting white tail deer with a tactical nuke!  I wonder if Osama still wants to go hunting rabbits with that VX gas rocket . . .
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You mean I can not use a weapon of mass destruction to go hunting?  There goes the plans that Saddam and I had for hunting white tail deer with a tactical nuke!  I wonder if Osama still wants to go hunting rabbits with that VX gas rocket . . .

As far as I understand it, here in NM, it is legal to hunt rabbits with VX rockets.  So...  If you're ever in the area, hit me up, man.  hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It is illegal in NM.  I read something about this recently but I can't remember where.  

CTay
Albuquerque, NM

Damn.  I was afraid of that.  I'm expecting an e-mail from the Law Enforcement Division Chief of the NMDGF soon.  Keep you posted on the details.  

IEatPriestsTijeras, NM
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Very legal in NorwayhereMy 300WinMag sniper rifle sounds like a unsuppressed 22 pistol, with full loads.
A BR is about $200
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#32]
it kinda takes the sport out of it when if you were to miss without a supressor, the deer would take off like a bat out of hell and with a supressor, they might just stand really really still, thinking little bambi just stepped on and cracked a branch maybe, no?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
it kinda takes the sport out of it when if you were to miss without a supressor, the deer would take off like a bat out of hell and with a supressor, they might just stand really really still, thinking little bambi just stepped on and cracked a branch maybe, no?

Heck, one year I shot one deer out of a group with an unsuppressed shotgun, had the others stand around after the loud blast, shot another one, then proceeded to shoot a third one. Two does and an 8-pointer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Legal in SC, and yes in most circumstances they will stand there.  I haven't had many experiences with shooting at deer with the suppressor, and mulitple deer.  When it did occur I will say that they had a tendency to stand still.  Matter of fact I pop a doe with 2 other bystanders and they just kept eating.  They went over and looked at the dead 1 and kind of looked like why are you laying down?  I ended up shooting 2 more about 30 min later right there they just kept comming out!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like the theory of natuaral selection with those two stories.  The dumb ones don't last long...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
legal in Wisconsin.

And SBR's too!

Come november, i'll be the guy with the suppressed 11.5 brush gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Correct, in Texas only those animals classifies as "Game Animals" by TPWD are protected from hunting with a silencer.  That leaves wild hogs, javalina and lots of other great hunting animals A-OK.

Careful there.  Javalina are game animals in Texas.

I appreciate the correction.  In Texas, "Game Animals" include White-tailed deer, Mule deer, Desert bighorn sheep, Pronghorn antelope, Gray or cat squirrel, Red or fox squirrel, and finally
Collared peccary or javelina.

The devil IS in the details.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Actually, no.  Contrary to the myth propogated by Hollywood, silencers do not make a rifle silent.  The BEST silencers will reduce the sound impulse of a standard AR-15 round from roughly 165dB to 135dB.  140dB is the impulse threshold above which hearing loss occurs (per another forum, the new EU standard is now 137 dB).  Even with subsonic loads, it's still going to sound about like an air hammer.  As for deer running away, I've had several occurences where I've shot a deer with my 300 Weatherby unsuppressed and the deer jump, run a few feet and turn back to eating.  The Weatherby is one of the loudest guns I've shot (at least at the range it make everyone look twice).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I've promised myself to never shock my ears again so I bought some Peltor T6's and wear them when hunting.  Last Sunday I was hog hunting [ pig hunting actually, after a little'un ] and heard a distintive noise well off to my right. Eventually I figured out that it was horseback riders on the hardpacked road about 100 yds away. I took off the muffs and could not hear the hoof beats on the stones that I was hearing with the muffs on.  And this was with a noisy stream about 100 yds to the left !!  And they keep your ears warm

rj
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top