Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2006 5:51:48 AM EDT
A local dealer has a RRA entry tactical for 849.99.  After looking around this seems to be a fair price for a chrome lined model.  Although I wouldn't believe him if I ask him whether it was chromed lined or not.  My question is, how can I tell if it is chrome lined by looking at it?  Also why is chrome lining more important than none chrome lined?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome lining eases cleaning, and also prolongs barrel life.  An easy way to tell is to look inside the chamber, and the very outside bevel of it will be silver in color on a chromed model.  It can be very tough to see if not clean.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A local dealer has a RRA entry tactical for 849.99.  After looking around this seems to be a fair price for a chrome lined model.  Although I wouldn't believe him if I ask him whether it was chromed lined or not.  My question is, how can I tell if it is chrome lined by looking at it?  Also why is chrome lining more important than none chrome lined?

Can't tell you how to figure it out, but the main difference is life of the barrel.  Chrome is hard as hell.  Basically on a chrome lined barrel what they do is take a Chrome-Moly Steel barrel and put a layer of solid chrome on the inside of the barrel and chamber (usually).  This means that it will hold up REALLY well and will pretty much be impossible to damage.  On the downside is becasue the chrome is plated onto the inside it is a little hard to control the thickness of the chrome lining.  So the accuracy will usually decrease.  If you just want something to plink with and that you can put reasonably nasty ammo through without fear of hurting the barrel I would stick with a chrome lined.  However for a match rifle you would want Stainless Steel.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
BTW--Chrome lining on a Rock River AR is a $40 option.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Slide down the delta ring and take off the top handguard.  You will see some markings.  Somewhere in the series of numbers/letters you will see a "CL" if it is chrome lined.  I just went through this and that is where RRA marks it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top