Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:49:02 PM EDT
Ok I posted a pic of my new AR here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=264526&page=1

I went to a local outdoor range today to try out my new AR (RRA Entry) . I had some Wolf .223 55 GR. HP I took along. I have never shot Wolf ammo before in my handguns so was a little leary about the quality of it. I have heard and good and bad but said "screw it" and brought it. So I get on the range and everyone is shooting a bolt action. I figured I would see at least one or two AR's. Nope.

The range officer asks, "Is that an AR?". It was in a tactical carry bag so guess thats a dead give away. I told him it was and he said just no FMJs allowed if I had any.

So I get to my bench. As soon as I pull out my AR 6 or 7 shooters start wandering over and asking about it. Now no one asked what brand it was (RRA, Colt, Bushy, etc.) but asked stuff like what caliber, how much was it, where did I get it, etc. Even had one guy asked if it was full auto. "Um...no." I just told them it was my first AR and I was just tesing it out. Once I started shooting some people just stopped to watch me shoot it. I actually felt kinda stupid because I am there trying to just get the feel of it and sight it in.

Do you guys get this stuff when you are at public range and are shooting your AR? I mean mine is pretty simple and standard. I have seen some wicked AR's on here so imagine you guys get people at the range crapping their pants when your black rifle comes out.

Anyway, the rifle shot like a champ! I didnt know what to expect. I shot one 30 round magazine just to get the feel. Then I worked on sighting it in with the irons and then popped on the EOTech. That took some getting used to. But once I got used to it, it was great!  Fantastic weapon! I cant believe I waited so long to get one!! DFW, TX
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes people are highly interested, sometimes they don't care even a little.  The worst I've ever been treated at a range was when I was test firing my AK.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the sticks of WV and every time I go to the local range its packed with 50-60 year old men with their hunting rifles or old revolvers smoking a pipe talking about the old times, and when I pull out the Bushmaster all activity stops and before I know it I have a gained quite the crowd, real nice guys asking lots of interesting questions, “how much was it,” is it full auto,” “can I hold it”, so don’t feel alone, the black rifle is like a new Ford F-350, it gets attention no matter ware you go so get use to it
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=264526&page=1

congrats!

dont worry about em--

sometimes some say something, others not; but i try not to advertise....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
No one ever approached me except for fellow AR freaks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
where in dfw are you and what range were you shooting at?
i've had it go both ways, some times people will swarm around and sometimes not even a look.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have seen some wicked AR's on here so imagine you guys get people at the range crapping their pants when your black rifle comes out.

JP
DFW, TX

DUDE, THAT'S FUNNY SHIT.  I can't stop laughing at what you wrote there.
Thanks for the great laugh.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i've had it go both ways, some times people will swarm around and sometimes not even a look.

I am in Keller. I went to Quail Creek near Alliance Airport.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Most people don't say anything, but I get the occasional person, usually someone else with an AR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#10]
We have 2 or 3 High Power matches a week where I show, to it's no big deal
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
My father is one of those 50 year old men who think semi automatic weapons are unconstitutional and of the devil. Its bolt action or nothing.

Well, after everyone in the family spent a 30 round mag through my AR-15 and we switched over to pistols he goes and picks it up... everyone noticed but didn't say anything.  He dropped in a 30 rounder and emptied it on a target at 50 meters.  Grinning ear to ear he praised it and said what an awesome weapon it was.  Havn't seen him that excited in a long time...

Goes to show the kind of unrealistic perceptions people have about assault rifles.

I've had a couple of deputies tell me it was a nice weapon and then tell me to clean up my target when done... that was about the only thing anyone has said to me about it at public ranges.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I had s somewhat similar experence last weekend with my initial trip to the range with my new AR (Bushy Carbon-15).  Only the range was a 200 yarder out behind my Dads buddies place....ahhh the joys of rual Kansas.  Yes this guy has a nice 200 yard range in his backyard.

Anyway, we pull up to the shooting line, and there are several pickups already there and rounds are going down range.  Oh...did I say this is a dedicated Bench crowd?  I mean all of them are in their 60's, with all their high dollar precesion paper punchers.  Yes, someone actualy said look, a "Plastic Fantastic"  and chuckled a bit.  It was good natured stuff, they kidded me about finally getting a firearm that is not a shotgun and being a grown up =).

We set the targets out at 25 yards to zero it.  That goes ok, 10 shots to get it tacking the 10 ring.  Other than the brass flying all over, it was fun.  And I was hearing less and less bench guns going off around me.   One of them said "Ok, you can shoot at 25.....take it out to 100 and lets see how you do"
Hell even my dad was giving me grief.  You know, put a bunch of competitive guys in a room and they needle each other endlessly.  It was that sort of thing.  I was looking at one of them thinking....ya...ya...last time we hunted together, I took 4 pheasents and you shot....thats right zero....and your dog sucks.  But I kept that to myself.

Iron sights at 100 yards.  I havent shot irons in 25 years and nothing past 20-30 yards in at least 15.  I can barely see the black at 100 yards, with my glasses on.....time for a new perscription!  I'm sitting there trying to get a good sight picture, meanwhile behine me...."You going to shoot that thing?"  etc.  1st shot my dad, whos on the spotter, calls out "Bullseye, 4:30"  2nd shot "Bullseye 3 o'clock a little low"......well hell now I was a member of the crew!  The rest of the shots were scattered, hell I was shooting at a blur, but I put together a 5 shot inside of 2".  I was happy.

A 100 rounds later all of them had shot it, and had a good time.  It was kinda cool.  I'm really happy I picked up a AR
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I go to local range by my house and shoot my 16" Beowulf. It never fails to get a crowd every time I go. People think it is  a .223 until I fire some rounds. The funniest time was when four local Police Officers were shooting next to me. They had all of their "tactical" rifles decked out with every gadget know to exist. When I first came in they snubbed me...they were "too cool for school". After a couple of rounds, they were asking questions and writing down information and web sites. One Officer even offered to pay me a buck a round to shoot it, I gave him 3 rounds at no charge, I told him it was my civic duty. I am building an SBR and wonder what the response will be to that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in Keller. I went to Quail Creek near Alliance Airport.

Really.

I went out there ~95 with my UZI. I had just moved to Denton. The RSO at the time said that I could not shoot there, after I had already paid my range fee. I said fine and myself and buddy (packing a MAK90 he just bought at the gunshow) started packing up. I guess he felt like a turd when he found out it was semi-auto only and let us stay. We let 3-4 guys run a few mags through that day.

I'll probably get some looks this comming Monday when my wife and I go to the range to sight in her new AR with PINK furniture.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Yea I really had a blast shooting it. I also just field stripped it for the first time to clean it. I am a visual person. Not having anyone to show me how to strip made me a little uneasy at first. Had no problem until I tried to remove the bolt cam pin. Wasnt easy to get out. Yes I followed the directions but the bolt cam pin took a little effort to remove. Guess I was afraid my little fingers were gonna hurt it. But after I did all that and then removed the extractor and all that when I went to put the bolt back together I had to think....which way does the extractor face before I put the bolt cam pin back in?

The extractor does face out towards the ejection port right?? I figured it had to. Stupid noob question but cant ever be too careful!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yea I really had a blast shooting it. I also just field stripped it for the first time to clean it. I am a visual person. Not having anyone to show me how to strip made me a little uneasy at first. Had no problem until I tried to remove the bolt cam pin. Wasnt easy to get out. Yes I followed the directions but the bolt cam pin took a little effort to remove. Guess I was afraid my little fingers were gonna hurt it. But after I did all that and then removed the extractor and all that when I went to put the bolt back together I had to think....which way does the extractor face before I put the bolt cam pin back in?

The extractor does face out towards the ejection port right?? I figured it had to. Stupid noob question but cant ever be too careful!

If the cam pin fits you got it right.   It will only go in one way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#17]
The range I belong to is one of the most popular in the city (out of two really large ones).

Most people have seen ARs, etc.

The biggest comments I get are when I'm shooting my AK with the -74 brake (Wolf flashes like crazy). or when I shoot the Mosin Nagant M38 ("Is that black powder?").

Of course we also get a few people with suppressors showing up. Never fails, the poor guy has gotten interrupted every time I've seen him out there with his 44mag. It basically ends up being a demo without ears on.

My next stop (once the paperwork is approved) is the 300 yard range...now with the .223 can on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]
never had a problem at the public range I go to..
very black rifle friendly
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Compliments only at my range, and one old fart on the pistol range who moved all the way away from me when I was zeroing in my aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#20]
First off, congrats on the new AR. Evil back rifles always attract stares from the salty old bench rest and black powder shooters. Nothing comes close to the attention from an HK 51. A guy had one at the range one day and opened up with a 20 round burst. I could feel the concusion in my nuts. The cool thing was he let anyone who was interested give it a try, including some very crusty old bolt action only guys. I've shot full auto before, but that 51 was by far the coolest ever. I find that my AR's usually only attract other AR shooters, but the AK pisses people off the most, usually because I could defend my right flank with flying brass. Whenver I shoot AK's I always have to find a lane with at least three empty positions to my right.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
First off, congrats on the new AR. Evil back rifles always attract stares from the salty old bench rest and black powder shooters. Nothing comes close to the attention from an HK 51. A guy had one at the range one day and opened up with a 20 round burst. I could feel the concusion in my nuts. The cool thing was he let anyone who was interested give it a try, including some very crusty old bolt action only guys. I've shot full auto before, but that 51 was by far the coolest ever. I find that my AR's usually only attract other AR shooters, but the AK pisses people off the most, usually because I could defend my right flank with flying brass. Whenver I shoot AK's I always have to find a lane with at least three empty positions to my right.

Yea I was put on the the far end left lane. The far left 2 or 3 lanes were for 25 yards. Thats where I was to sight my AR in. There is not much space between the person on my right. Some guy was shooting his .22 bolt action. I was worried my brass was gonna hit him in the head or something. (Keep in mind I never shot an AR until this day) But the spent brass was sent well clear of him. It was a great experience overall. Some guy was down several lanes shooting something that was so loud (even with hearing protection) that caused me and several others to jump but he came over and wanted to see the AR too. I think its the style and all the history of the ARs that make people take notice. I remember the first time I was on the range and saw a guy a shooting an AR. I was impressed too at seeing the rifle.

Before I got my AR I looked at MANY different rifles. I looked at Springfield's SOCOM .308, Ruger M70 (77?) something, and a bunch of others. The AR .223 seemed to fit my purposes and I am really glad I got it. No regrets at all so far. It will serve my need and then some but mainly its fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I could defend my right flank with flying brass.

I guess that's not just mine, they just get LAUNCHED out of my VEPR.  It's the only AK I've ever shot.  I am yet to get an AR, but will soon.  I guess I just took my familiarity (Marine Corps) with them for granted.  I was anticipating seeing alot of them out on the range.  I do know that when I tell people I have an AK, they give me this wide-eyed HOLY @#$@! look.  Same goes for AR I suppose.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top