Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:14:53 PM EDT

I have some questions about the DPMS "dissipator"-style carbine. Is the bore chrome lined? Does it
use a special gas block or gas tube? Does it come with a charging handle? Is bolt carrier assembly
chromed or phosphate? Is there a bayonet somewhere that will work on a dissipator style carbine?
Does any other manufacturer make an upper with a 16" barrel and rifle length gas system? Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one and loved it.  Its not chrome lined--although I think you can special order one that way.  Mine used a rifle length gas system and only one fsb/gas block.  At first it was a bit front heavy.  I had the barrel lightened by ADCO and it was awsome after that with great balance and long sight radius it was great.  I truly wish I'd never sold it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
hgj
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I guess I'll find out the answers to my questions before long. I saw the DPMS dissy uppers on
sale at Midway. It should get to my house a month or two before I do. B-)

Sam
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I guess I'll find out the answers to my questions before long. I saw the DPMS dissy uppers on
sale at Midway. It should get to my house a month or two before I do. B-)

Sam
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
From Midways web site:

This AR-15 upper receiver comes complete with bolt and carrier assembly, A2 front sight, flash hider and bayonet lug. Ready to install on your AR-15 lower. Barrel is chrome moly, with a 1 in 9" twist and threaded muzzle.

Technical Specifications & Use  

Average Customer Rating:
Read the Review(s)
Used this Product? Rate It

Return Rate, & Pkg Size
Product Applications & Information

Product #: 286453
Manufacturer #: BA-A2AS-16A 1x9  
Our Price: $481.99

Should Ship Today
Note: 99.9% of Orders Placed by 4:00 p.m. CT
(Monday-Friday, Except Holidays) Ship Same Day.

Quantity

Add Product to Wish List

Send this Page to a Friend

Wondering About a Gun-Related Term?  Check the GunTec Dictionary  
ETA: in the picture it looks like it has a chrome bolt carrier, so if you have a prefferance on that you should call them because when I ordered one on the phone (M4) I asked and was told they had both chrome & not chromed and they would give me wichever one I wanted at no additional cost.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks for the info. Chrome-moly is the alloy that the barrel is made from. That does not necesarily
mean that the bore is chrome lined. Doesn't say whether it includes a charging handle. It states that
it comes with a bolt carrier assembly, but not whether it's chrome or phosphate finished.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have some questions about the DPMS "dissipator"-style carbine. Is the bore chrome lined? Does it
use a special gas block or gas tube? Does it come with a charging handle? Is bolt carrier assembly
chromed or phosphate? Is there a bayonet somewhere that will work on a dissipator style carbine?
Does any other manufacturer make an upper with a 16" barrel and rifle length gas system? Thanks.

Sam

You can get it chrome lined as an option.  The rifle does, are you talking about an upper?  It has come with a chromed bolt carrier or phosphated.  It does not have a rifle length gas system.  It has a 16" gas system with a rifle length front sight and hand guards.  It uses a 16" gas tube.  The front sight base is milled off.  Bushmaster makes one like it.  Busmaster's model is called a Dissipator, DPMS's version is called a Tactical Carbine.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Hmm... I saw a barrel on DPMS's website that was a 16" heavy barrel with a rifle length gas system.
I assumed that this would be the barrel used in the dissy upper that I ordered from Midway. I hope
it is, I rather liked the idea.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmm... I saw a barrel on DPMS's website that was a 16" heavy barrel with a rifle length gas system.
I assumed that this would be the barrel used in the dissy upper that I ordered from Midway. I hope
it is, I rather liked the idea.

Sam

The real gas block is under the hand guards.  The front sight base  you see in the picture is only the front sight and has nothing to do with the gas system.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sam

You can get it chrome lined as an option.  The rifle does, are you talking about an upper?  It has come with a chromed bolt carrier or phosphated.  It does not have a rifle length gas system.  It has a 16" gas system with a rifle length front sight and hand guards.  It uses a 16" gas tube.  The front sight base is milled off.  Bushmaster makes one like it.  Busmaster's model is called a Dissipator, DPMS's version is called a Tactical Carbine.

NO NO NO NO

I love how people who obviously don't even OWN the product actually want to offer advice or opinions.

I DO own one.

It is NOT chrome lined (although it is an option straight from DPMS).  It DOES come with the charging handle (for further reference, if a complete upper comes 'ready to shoot' as almost all complete uppers do, that means it comes with a charging handle).  It IS a heavy barrel.  It IS a rifle length gas system, not a carbine with a dummy gas block up front like the Bushmaster.  It DOES run 100% out of the box.  It IS a good shooter.  They USUALLY come with phosphated bolt/carrier once the run of chromed ones died off (call Midway and ask what they have in stock).  There IS a bayonet that works, but other than a Chicks Dig It accessory, save your money for ammo.

Tom  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
[quote/]
I love how people who obviously don't even OWN the product actually want to offer advice or opinions.

I DO own one.

It is NOT chrome lined (although it is an option straight from DPMS).  It DOES come with the charging handle (for further reference, if a complete upper comes 'ready to shoot' as almost all complete uppers do, that means it comes with a charging handle).  It IS a heavy barrel.  It IS a rifle length gas system, not a carbine with a dummy gas block up front like the Bushmaster.  It DOES run 100% out of the box.  It IS a good shooter.  They USUALLY come with phosphated bolt/carrier once the run of chromed ones died off (call Midway and ask what they have in stock).  There IS a bayonet that works, but other than a Chicks Dig It accessory, save your money for ammo.

Tom  

Alright! Thanks! I'm not sure I care whether the bolt is chrome or phosphate, but I wanted to know.
I read up on 4140 steel on a couple of sights last night. The ads always say that it comes with a
bolt carrier assembly, barrel, upper receiver, etc. They never mention a charging handle. The bayonet
was a curiosity item. As in, "Why put a bayonet lug on a carbine if there's not enough barrel to support
a bayonet???". B-) Thanks for the info. So far, I'm thinking about replacing the front sight post with
a KNS, and MAYBE getting a red dot sight. Other than that, it seems like just what I was looking for.

Do you know of anyone else who builds a carbine with a rifle length gas system? Just curious. Thanks again.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]

The real gas block is under the hand guards.  The front sight base  you see in the picture is only the front sight and has nothing to do with the gas system.

Whoops.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a DPMS upper that came with the chrome bolt carrier.  The chrome carrier would have been nice, except that it was the exposed firing pin type, and I had issues with it snagging my hammer.  It might have been because they included the large collar diameter firing pin.  If you buy the complete upper, sell the bolt/carrier and buy a Stag/CMT for $10 more.  You'll thank me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I was kinda thinking about either picking up a JP Enterprises Tactical bolt and carrier or a Les Baer
National Match bolt and carrier. I have the Les Baer in my other AR15, and it's great.

Sam
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top