Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 3:26:59 PM EDT
I'm trying to remove my collapsible buttstock I thought it would be a snap but apparently it is not. I have a wrench to remove the nut but the damn thing won't come off infact I actually started damaging the nut so can anyone help me? Is the thing just stuck or is there something I need to know about removing it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be either staked or loctited or both.  Can you take pics that you can post here?  Then we would be able to offer better advice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It could be either staked or loctited or both.  Can you take pics that you can post here?  Then we would be able to offer better advice.

I don't see staking or loctite but I'll break out the camera.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
ok here's the pics. I hope they're good enough, I'm a horrible picture taker with a cheap camera.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I'd try heating that castle nut up a little bit with a propane torch, then give it a try with the wrench. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I had given thought to heating it up but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing before I did that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of wrench are you using?  Is it the newer one with 3 teeth or the older one with just one tooth.  If it's the older one than I can completely understand you having problems, they suck
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a stock on not too long ago and snugged it down. I then realized that it had twisted slightly so I went to loosen the nut to straighten it up and couldn't get it to budge. I tried my cheap o wrench and broke it. I then tried using my armorers wrench and it tore the castle nut notches up. I then did the only thing left, I dremeled the damn thing off. Lucky I didn't damage the lower.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah it's one a one tooth wrench specifically it's the one on the dpms mutli-tool thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I put a stock on not too long ago and snugged it down. I then realized that it had twisted slightly so I went to loosen the nut to straighten it up and couldn't get it to budge. I tried my cheap o wrench and broke it. I then tried using my armorers wrench and it tore the castle nut notches up. I then did the only thing left, I dremeled the damn thing off. Lucky I didn't damage the lower.

That doesn't bode well for me. Hopefully, a little heat will get it off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a VLTOR coming Friday and I am going to have to do this with my Bushmaster lower.  I bought the RRA wrench, which has multiple teeth.  Hope I can get the bastard off, I want to save the stuff for another lower.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
TAG  as I'm planning on a similar project on a Bushie lower myself in the near future
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Looking at the pics it looks like it isn't staked... If your 100% positive its not staked then heating the castle nut should do it... Whether its loctited or not, the heat will ease the removal process...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok I tried with the heat and failed. I used a small butane torch but ran out of butane a few seconds after I started heating it. So, I guess I won't be able to get it tonight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]
First off you DO have the lower receiver in the vice block and the vice block mounted in your bench vice, right?

Then you are using the CORRECT tool to remove the nut, right?

If the nut is stuck then take a socket extention (or a large punch), place it in the notch of the nut and smack it in the correct direction a couple of times.

If that does not work then take a pair of large channel lock pliers, lock them to the nut and then turn it for all you are worth.

Is the nut staked?

If it still does not come off then I suggest Tannerite....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
When the ban sunset, I had no problem removing the fake telestock with the 3 toothed wrench off my Bushmaster.

Get the right tool and it's no problem.

I've also heard of using a punch and hammer to break the castle nut loose.
Just make sure to bang it to the left to loosen it.

HS1
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I couldn't figure out why the nut got so tight as I had only snugged it down. Also before I dremeled it off I did dremel a flat edge on it and tried to use a mallet and screwdriver to no avail. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I couldn't figure out why the nut got so tight as I had only snugged it down. Also before I dremeled it off I did dremel a flat edge on it and tried to use a mallet and screwdriver to no avail. Good luck.

Did you put a small dab of anti-sieze on the threads before you reassembled it?

Mallet?  

HAMMER!!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
First off you DO have the lower receiver in the vice block and the vice block mounted in your bench vice, right?  No and no.

Then you are using the CORRECT tool to remove the nut, right?  No.

Is the nut staked?  No.

Guess I'll be buying more tools.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you put a small dab of anti-sieze on the threads before you reassembled it?

Mallet?  

HAMMER!!  

Nope, never used it on the stocks as I had never had one lock up on me like that. Wish I had though. Hammer? hope I don't have this problem again. I have installed a dozen or more stocks which included removing quite a few also and never had one like mine. Like I said I only snugged it up. I hadn't yet put ass behind it
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When the ban sunset, I had no problem removing the fake telestock with the 3 toothed wrench off my Bushmaster.

Get the right tool and it's no problem.

I've also heard of using a punch and hammer to break the castle nut loose.
Just make sure to bang it to the left to loosen it.

HS1

Hope my experience is the same, at least I bought the good wrench.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First off you DO have the lower receiver in the vice block and the vice block mounted in your bench vice, right?  No and no.

Then you are using the CORRECT tool to remove the nut, right?  No.

Is the nut staked?  No.

Guess I'll be buying more tools.

Bushmaster.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#22]
KA3B:  A question about the wrench you pictured: I recently bought one of those to use on a new Stag collapsible stock. I can't figure out how the three "tines" (for lack of a better term) are supposed to fit into the notches of the castle nut. The wrench doesn't seem big enough. I can only get one "tine" to fit in a notch, the others rest on the body of the nut short of their notches. What am I doing wrong here?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Get that badboy mounted in a vice first.  At least us a block of wood in the magwell if you don't have the correct mag block.

Then get the wrench as shown above.  

Then when you've got the right tools and it's in the vice, concentrate on not twisting the wrench as you try and loosen it.  

It does not appear to be staked.  I can see the notch in the castle nut and there is no material staked into it from the locking plate.

It could be locktited though.

Besides heating it, you can try freezing it in the freezer and then heating just the castle nut quickly and trying to get it to expand faster than the aluminum.  Or is that the other way around for barrel nuts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have a VLTOR coming Friday and I am going to have to do this with my Bushmaster lower.  I bought the RRA wrench, which has multiple teeth.  Hope I can get the bastard off, I want to save the stuff for another lower.  

Have you tried mystery oil? I used that to remove a fixed A1 stock off an old Colt Sporter which works AWESOME. Good Luck.

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I am happy to report that my Vltor stock arrived today, and installation was a breeze.  The castle nut on my Bushmaster was tight, but not too tight.  Used the RRA stock wrench with 3 lugs and it came right off.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Liquid Wrench.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top