Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 11:56:55 AM EDT
Ok, heres my situation. I'm joining a police academy, and I have to provide my own pistol. Unfortunately, I dont have one. I DO have a Bushmaster AR-15 A3 with a 16" barrel. Rifle is in great condition, less than 2k rounds through it. A local gunstore buys/trades firearms. If they give me enough for it, I'm going to trade it in. However, I'm not sure how much I should expect. I dont want to get low balled. I paid 900 for the damn thing! I have all the original documents that came with it, too. I also have a sightron 2 3-9X42 that I paid 200 for. Anyone know what kind of deal I should get? TIA

Temper
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My suggestion is, if possible, is to hang on to the Ar. If you sell it you will definitley regret it. Of course I understand the money issue. But, if you keep it at least you will already have a rifle in case you want to carry a rifle on patrol. I'm sure Bushmaster is on the approved list. Check a Shotgun News for police trade in Glocks, they are usually a heck of a deal and it will get through the academy and first year or so just fine. Then when funds become available buy whatever you want.

ETA: Not sure how much you have saved but KY Imports has Glock 22s for $349 that are not rebuilt and factory rebuilts for $379. Sig 226 for $389 and 220s for $419. This was from the Dec12th issue of Shotgun News.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 to the Rat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
the money situation is why im considering trading it in. I have a car payment, insurance, 2 credit cards, and misc other crap. I have some money saved now, but it could come in handy for when im working part time in the academy.. the good thing is that its monday-friday 8-230. I'd really like to get a sig, but i dont think i can shell out 700 bucks or so.. thats why i want to trade in the ar. Once funds start coming through, i can buy a better one. :)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
DO NOT TRADE IT IN!!!!!! You will get screwed for sure. I would try to sell it first. A gun store is like a pawn shop when dealing with trade ins. Your item is not worth much to them. try to sell it locally to an individual if you must part with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
DO NOT TRADE IT IN!!!!!! You will get screwed for sure. I would try to sell it first. A gun store is like a pawn shop when dealing with trade ins. Your item is not worth much to them. try to sell it locally to an individual if you must part with it.

That is very true. A friend of mine got a down right insulting offer for a SA GI Stainless that hadn't even been shot, he decided he didn't like the stainless.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that you should hold on to it if there is any way possible.  However, if you must sell it and don't have to hurry, consider selling it on www.gunbroker.com  You can also browse the site to see what others are selling your model of rifle for to get a rough idea.  Condition and accessories will also dictate what you get for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is very true. A friend of mine got a down right insulting offer for a SA GI Stainless that hadn't even been shot, he decided he didn't like the stainless.

+1!! If you HAVE to use it for funds try and sell it. You probably will not get but you paid but you will get more than what a store will give you!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the money situation is why im considering trading it in. I have a car payment, insurance, 2 credit cards, and misc other crap. I have some money saved now, but it could come in handy for when im working part time in the academy.. the good thing is that its monday-friday 8-230. I'd really like to get a sig, but i dont think i can shell out 700 bucks or so.. thats why i want to trade in the ar. Once funds start coming through, i can buy a better one. :)

GET A USED HANDGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you see the post about KY Imports?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
CDNN also has a huge selection of used guns (only in their catalog, not online):

Catalog download page
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
CDNN also has a huge selection of used guns (only in their catalog, not online):

Catalog download page

Agreed.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about CDNN.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 for used handgun, keep the AR if possible for future use.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top