Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 10:43:51 AM EDT
Curious to what you think of Chromed vs Nonchromed bolts and bolt carriers?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Chromed on the inside is nice for all of them.

While some people like chrome on the outside, the overall quality of the BC is more important to me.  A nice BC on a retro build is interesting to me, but thats about it.

I wouldn't complain about getting mine done in NP3 though......
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Chrome is a little slicker and easier to clean.  But it's not worth paying a premium.

Like everyone always says when this comes up....  Just stick to a standard carrier!

w00t!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I talking fully chromed inside and out.  I was curious about the chroming process weaking the metalurgy?  They dont allow chrome on alot of structure work as it wakens the steel.  Iwas curious if the hard chromeing offsets the weaking?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Properly done hard chrome plating does not weaken the steel - the operative word here is PROPERLY...

Hard chrome plating is done on highly stressed carbon steel aircraft parts, without any problems.  

The electrolytic chrome process liberates hydrogen from the plating solution.  This hydrogen MUST be dealt with during the plating process to insure part integrity.  Plated parts must be baked to drive off the hydrogen IMMEDIATELY after the plating is completed.  If the hydrogen is not removed, hydrogen embrittlement of the part can occur.

The biggest problem with hard chrome plating on consumer parts, is the "low bidder".   Everybody wants "cheaper" - and the plating shop can cut the price in half without the baking process.  

MIL spec parts, and aircraft parts are plated to a standard that requires baking.  Carriers & bolts MAY be as well, but I would want to see the certs on the parts...

Chrome carriers mat be a bit easier to clean, but other than that there is no wear advantage.

Lem
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The reason I was wondering is POF has this one?  Maybe I should wait and get LMTs?

http://www.pof-usa.com/P-416/H%20Chrome%20Bolt%20Carrier.htm

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The reason I was wondering is POF has this one?  Maybe I should wait and get LMTs?

www.pof-usa.com/P-416/H%20Chrome%20Bolt%20Carrier.htm

Thanks,
Mike

Hot link.

Adding (after I clicked on the hot link):  Looks good.  I'd like to try one, but for $219, it would be hard to justify one.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
Mike

Hot link.

Adding (after I clicked on the hot link):  Looks good.  I'd like to try one, but for $219, it would be hard to justify one.  

IMO the plating is a waste of money. I got a titanium plated carrier, and it doesnt work any better than the regular anodized carrier that costs hlaf the price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They are pretty, but I'd have to agree that the price makes them, well, somewhat unattractive. Can't see what they add, in a practical sense, over the ~$180 you'd spend for a JP stainless carrier.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
Mike

Hot link.

IMO the plating is a waste of money. I got a titanium plated carrier, and it doesnt work any better than the regular anodized carrier that costs hlaf the price.

I agree except in a few cases, the Young Manufacturing carriers being one.  They are top notch, and proven to be that.  Wes at MSTN puts them in many of his builds with complete confidence.  Knowing where his uppers go, that speaks volumes for the quality of YM carriers.  These look like they may have potential.

Frank and the guys at POF are on the leading edge of many AR technologies, and I'd give anything that comes out of his shop a good, hard look before I eliminated it on an old technology wive's tale, like bad chrome plating.  New technology makes quality chrome plating almost foolproof.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a full chromed carrier in a Colt and I will say that cleaning is much easier, less carbon buildup, and that chrome is worth it if you can get it. Chromed lined is OK as most have that but full chrome is worth it.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top