Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:42:18 AM EDT
I want a new 14.5" M4 upper, but I am trying to keep the weight down.  I'm thinking of having a DD 7.0 put on before the phantom is permanently attached.

Anybody else do this?  I know that the handguard won't be coming off unles the FS is destroyed, but am I really ever going to HAVE to take the handguard off?

Just thought I'd get some opinions before I went through with it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly I think I would go with a 16" barrel before I would permanently attach a muzzle device and a non-removable rail.  It doesn't add that much weight, you gain some velocity (albeit not much), and you could remove the handguard if you ever had a problem (or just got tired of that rail).  Granted, it's not quite as nice as short as the 14.5" and it's tricky to attach a bayonet, but who here really uses a bayonet anyway?  I think the advantages of a 16" outweigh the disadvantages unless you're in a position where maximum mobility and weight savings is paramount.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
If your dead set on a 14.5" w/ perm FH go with a KAC RAS II, especially if the only optic you see yourself using is an Aimpoint.  You can take the rail on and off without ever having to mess with the barrel, FH or front sight post.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
YHM is now making a 2-piece quad rail, but it's heavier than the DD.  Substantially cheaper though.  MJD
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top