Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 6:07:23 PM EDT
Could someone please explain the process on how to legally purchase a suppressor for the AR platform?

How much does it actually cost etc.????
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
click here

or here

Poke around a bit and do some reading.

Tax stamp $200 + cost of device.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I do understand the $200 tax and the background check etc.  I was wondering who makes the suppressors and where I can get one once the paperwork is completed
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I do understand the $200 tax and the background check etc.  I was wondering who makes the suppressors and where I can get one once the paperwork is completed

This website has some good information on suppressors in case you are just learning - Silencer Test Results

A few major manufacturers are AAC, Gemtech, SoundTech, SWR and SRT Arms. Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) has just introduced a new AR suppressor, Yankee Hill.

Since you are in Ohio, you should have no problems finding a SOT dealer in Toledo, Columbus, and other locations around the State.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How quiet do you want it to be.. You wont get Hollywood quiet...Go shoot a 10/22 with some CCI Stingers.. Thats about as quiet as you will get.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How quiet do you want it to be.. You wont get Hollywood quiet...Go shoot a 10/22 with some CCI Stingers.. Thats about as quiet as you will get.

Huh? A suppressor will make a 10/22 quieter than shooting a 10/22 with Stingers and no suppressor. The sound reduction on a 10/22 is significant, especially with ammo which doesn't break the sound barrier. Sounds like a pellet rifle.

LRM Vidar - suppressed Ruger 10/22
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the above statement was in reference to the audible signature of a .223 fired thru a suppressor - being comparable to a unsuppressed 22LR (thanks to the sonic crack and bullet impact noise.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks ProfGAB101
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Suppressors
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Could someone please explain the process on how to legally purchase a suppressor for the AR platform?

As for buying a suppressor, it really isn't as hard to do as it seems. If you can own a firearm, you can own NFA items. First, you need to make sure that they are legal in your state-- they are in Ohio, so you're okay there. You need to locate a Class 3 dealer in your state. You can either buy from your dealer's stock, or have him order directly from the manufacturer if he doesn't carry the model you want. You will pay for the suppressor before filling out the paperwork, but the suppressor must stay at the dealer's shop until you are approved.

The dealer will provide you with two Form 4's, two fingerprint cards, and a citizenship form. You then take this paperwork to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) in your area. This will usually be either the County Sheriff or Chief of Police (depending on whose jurisdiction you live in.) The CLEO will sign your paperwork and fingerprint you on the cards. If you live in an area where the CLEO refuses to sign Form 4's, you can form a simple corporation (LLC, etc.) and then are exempt from the CLEO signature and fingerprints. You will then need to attach a passport photo to each of the Form 4's, and send all completed paperwork to the BATF along with a one-time fee of $200. (Some dealers send the paperwork in for you.)

Then you wait. It usually takes about 4 months for the BATF to approve your paperwork. When they do, they will send it to the dealer. When your dealer receives the approved paperwork, they will notify you to come pick up your suppressor. Make a photocopy of the Form 4, and keep the original in a safe place. Carry the photocopy with the suppressor in case an LEO should ever question you about it.

How much does it actually cost etc.????

For a 5.56 suppressor, look to pay $400-$1000 + $200 BATF tax. I personally chose the SRT Hurricane, as it ranks up there with the top performers, and it only cost me $498 new.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for all your help.  I appreciate it and am very thankful to have a group of people willing to assist those with questions.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top