Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2006 2:41:36 PM EDT
I've been wanting to cammo my AR for awhile but I can't bring myself to do it.

So lemme ask, any of y'all just want to do it but just had to talk yourself into trying it? I guess i'm mainly skeered that it'll look like crap. Given it wouldn't be too awful hard to bring it back to black but it wouldnt' be teh origional finish on it anymore, probably duracoat it.

But I guess one thing I'm really worried about is doing my sights.. ACOG or Aimpoint depending on what i want to try. That's the one that seems like it would be a pain to try to bring back to black...

So anybody have motivating stories, or how you talked yourself into it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Use Norrells or Gunkote as a basecoat and cure it.  Once it is cured, you can spray whatever you want on the top, and use carb cleaner to spray it back off if you don't like it.  The cured Norrells will stay on the finish and won't come off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this over the origional finish or take it down then do it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Practice on a 2x4 until you perfect your look.

It is much easier to do the real deal once.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is this over the origional finish or take it down then do it?

By original finish, I assume you mean the anodizing? If so, leave that alone... tking it off would suck hard anyway.

Stickman's formula works well, the Norrell base is about as hard as chinese algebra and you can change the camo look as you want -- if you pick a good base color.

I am looking for a picture of an old tie-dyed rifle I hade, the guy that did the work did an amazing job for as simple as it is and it worked great!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Snaps,

Do NOT try to take off the anodizing, there is no need.  Go over the top of it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about a 2x4.  I'd suggest Stickman's method and use an ammo can.  It's a little closer to the finish on your rifle.  A 2x4 will never look the way you want it to...

I practiced on a piece of shiny cardboard.

more HERE
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
all one color? that's cheatin'

i need to go search for some examples of camo
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]

i need to go search for some examples of camo

Check this out: Bulldog Arms

Let me know what you think, I've been on the fence with this too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
nah... I try the camo i don't really want it that style... Not like the real pattern.. More like a random thing......

I know I've seen some pics before, not having any luck finding them right now though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't tried camo-ing my weapons yet either but I'd recommend the following:

1) Watch BlackHawk Down 3 times in a row.
2) Try painting with Bowflage first - it's easy to clean up (and not permanent)

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I haven't tried camo-ing my weapons yet either but I'd recommend the following:

1) Watch BlackHawk Down 3 times in a row.

lmfao...

I remember now they've got them camo'd (is tha the right spelling??) on there.. naybody have screen shots by chance?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
i painted one of mine but didnt do any sights, just the irons.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Search is your friend
Camo threads

ETA
Ok, that didn't do what I wanted....
Here's one:Camo ARs

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
nah not looking for threads......... I had saved some pictures about a year ago when i started thinking about doing this..... then i bought a new computer and I guess i didn't move the folder over.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]
oh yeah, camo'd, not just painted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I know how yeah feel,not so bad once you get your cherry broke.

TG
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i painted one of mine but didnt do any sights, just the irons.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/cfeklikewhoa/m4gery/IMG_0390.jpg

I'd think alot like that but with a light tan as the base and go from there..

Hrm.. I've got a plasma screen...  if I'd try to take a picture from that if may come out right..... I could get blackhawk down pics.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Good article today on DID about the KA2 pattern and SpecAm's stuff... as far as state-of-the-art camo goes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Good article today on DID about the KA2 pattern and SpecAm's stuff... as far as state-of-the-art camo goes.

elaborate please...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#21]
and link
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is my Krylon job.  Really need to get it outside for some shots.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

elaborate please...

sorry... Defense Industry Daily has an piece about the the SpecAm "Weapon Disruption" system -- they have been working on the pattern for some time, but have announced this week that they have made some sort of deal with 3M to provide vinyl material for application to weapons in several of the KA2 patterns.

eta Link to KA2 info
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

elaborate please...

sorry... Defense Industry Daily has an piece about the the SpecAm "Weapon Disruption" system -- they have been working on the pattern for some time, but have announced this week that they have made some sort of deal with 3M to provide vinyl material for application to weapons in several of the KA2 patterns.

eta Link to KA2 info

that looks exactly like the lcw mirageflage patterns they offer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#25]
follow stickmans directions to the letter, and read his tutorials and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#26]
i think my biggest problem other than being afraid to paint the fancy sights is i need an idea what i wanna do..

So yes, one day this weak I'm going to put 'BlackHawk Down' in the DVD player and look for some good shots.....

I remember the one delta guy close to teh beginning has a cammo'd one... I think..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#27]
picked up some camo paint today to practice with... i'll get this down before i scar my gun with it
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Not AR's, but one of my favorites.

Done by kamiyama on FAL Files.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top