Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2006 11:45:15 AM EDT
I was thinking of going to Iraq to do electric work for good money. Do you all think I could bring my ar with me or any other type of guns?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
dont anybody know? I wouldnt want to go unarmed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
All of the contracting work overseas that I have done has either provided the weapons (if dangerous enough) or flat denied the use or possesion of them on the job.  Actually, this may have something to do with the military restrictions on privately owned weapons on post...  You might be able to take a large knife, but I haven't heard from stateside co-workers who had returned from the Mid-East reporting that they were allowed to take weapons with them.  It all depends on your contract I guess.  On one of my contracts, I could own a weapon and carry it around town for SD but at work and on base it was a no-no.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally should not answer your question but I would "expect" the answer is going to be no. Post this question over at Lightfighter (link below), someone there I'm sure can give you an answer. PMC's/personal security and the like are another story.http://lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/5821022531
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Insurgents love you contractors, I personally  wouldn’t be caught dead in Iraq with anything less the a platoon
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was thinking of going to Iraq to do electric work for good money. Do you all think I could bring my ar with me or any other type of guns?

Dont do it. Lots of contractors still ending up with their heads off. It may not hit the news much anymore, but it still happens. And odds are no, you wont have a gun to use, some other contractors with guns will be assigned to look after the area you are in.

Contractors are hired to build, or carry guns, not usually one in the same
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
DoD civilian I know in Baghdad is prohibited has to depend on US and Iraqui security. Now if your job is to provide security you company will issue weapons. If you are an electrician I don't think you will be armed, consider it dangerous work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL, Hylton-that has got to be the best answer to that question I have ever heard!  Sure, one gun is nice but a whole PLATOON of them is better!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless the company's contract with the US Government specifically allows the carrying of arms by company employees - as in a PSC contract - (and the company also allows it, too), the carrying of arms by contractor employees is not allowed.

Theoretically, if the company's contract with the USG does not forbid the carrying of arms and the company allowed it, the employee could request a weapons card from the Iraqi MOI and the CJTF Provost Marshal.

Or, if the company's contract was with the Iraqi government, and the contract did not forbid the carrying of arms, the employee could request a weapons card from the Iraqi MOI and the CJTF Provost Marshal.

Tho other problem is transporting it.  If you are traveling on USAF airflow, you aren't getting it on the aircraft without orders allowing it.

Halliburton / KBR's contract, for example, forbids the carrying of arms and Halliburton / KBR forbids it also.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
By the way, if you are doing electrical work (electrician) in the IZ (former Green Zone) or on a US base (i.e., Camp Victory, etc.), you are safer than you are in any mid-size city in America (there is practically no crime and almost no traffic accidents).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The contracting agency dictates which weapons, if any you are allowed to carry. As an electrician, I would assume you would be forbidden to carry a weapon. Many companies are hiring private security contractors to protect those involved in reconstruction activities, and the gunplay is left to them. Since you are rebuilding the country, you are a defacto ambassador of peace and carrying a machine gun doesn' exactly scream peaceful intent. A line must be drawn between combatants and non-combatants. Conventional wisdom says that if you aren't armed, then you a non-combatant, however in a non-linear war there really is no such thing. Its best to follow the compaines directives. They will likely have a security detachment made up of gov assets, Iraqi

police/federal army or private contractors. Given the anti-American senetiment, a group of armed caucasions may make for a target of oppertunity, that may not be so oppertune if you were not armed. Granted, they typically don't follow the rules of war, but go off the reservation and you are on your own. Its best to follow the rules of your contractor, but personally.....I would have a sidearm with at least 6 magazines on my person and an AKS within reach, but not "on me". Maximum deniability and discretion would be the order of the day if weapons are forbidden and for a non combat "MOS" you are more than likely going to be forbidden from being armed. I wouldn't risk the possible penalties for smuggling a long arm, especially an AR15*which screams USA-USA-USA* I would however "import" a 9mm sidearm, with appropraite JHP ammo amongst my

things. Its a war zone, and given the proliferation of the AK/PKM/Dragunov you should be able to obtain one with little effort. Of course, I would advise you to follow all rules and regulations as they are likely imposed for your safety, and in all reality, if you come under attack....running is a better option. I am only sharing what I "would do" in a similar situation. Good Luck and godspeed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are not given a weapons card when you get the other card from the US govt before you go, you dont get to have guns.  Simple as that.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top