Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2006 9:06:27 AM EDT
I have always used KAC in the past.

I am not big on friction fit covers but I am open right now to what ever you guys think.

What is your opinion on type and brand?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Magpul ladder type rail covers but I am concerned with the rail heating up really hot during prolonged rapid fire. The Magpul XT friction fit and I don't really like that.

The TD BG rail covers seem "too thick."

I would get the Knight ones again, but ~$22 per cover is expensive for what you get. (Not to mention all the different sizes you might need.)

WTA: I guess I looking for an alterantive that is low profile, cuttable, locks in place, and doesn't require a personal loan to buy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If your patient, KAC's show up on the EE for a lot less than that...

Go with what you like, it's worth it in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like the Magpul ladder type rail covers but I am concerned with the rail heating up really hot during prolonged rapid fire.

I have Magpul ladder-type rail covers on my M16 and have never had any problems after dumping mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Anybody ever used the 11 rib that Bravo Company USA has right now on sale? It is decently priced and looks like it might work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like the Magpul ladder type rail covers but I am concerned with the rail heating up really hot during prolonged rapid fire. The Magpul XT friction fit and I don't really like that.

The TD BG rail covers seem "too thick."

I would get the Knight ones again, but ~$22 per cover is expensive for what you get. (Not to mention all the different sizes you might need.)

WTA: I guess I looking for an alterantive that is low profile, cuttable, locks in place, and doesn't require a personal loan to buy.

The ones I have on my Surefire are from SF.  They're the rubber ladder type.  They haven't had any damage from rapid fire as of yet.   I just received a KAC friction fit and am undecided as to what is "best" in my personal opinion...  The snag I hit is that for a complete set- many of the varieties damn near cost as much as my newer set of YHM 2pc railed handguards.  I'm thinkink to just let the rails get dinged, scratched etc and I'll use a nice pair of gloves to take the bite out of em.  C'mon- it's fricken rubber &/or plastic.  How much can that stuff cost to manufacture!?

Sly
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like the Magpul ladder type rail covers but I am concerned with the rail heating up really hot during prolonged rapid fire.

I have Magpul ladder-type rail covers on my M16 and have never had any problems after dumping mags.

Yeah - I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Those things can stand up to some heat.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish KAC wasn't the most popular!

Then I would be able to get them off the EE before they are snatched up in like 3 seconds!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok- I found some on the EE for $13 each. Not a bad price.

I usually only put rail covers on the sides and bottom with the theory that heat rises. Should I drop some ladder type covers on the top for protection?

Does anyone else do this? Am I just overly paranoid?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the TangoDown covers, eye appealing and robust
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok- I found some on the EE for $13 each. Not a bad price.

I usually only put rail covers on the sides and bottom with the theory that heat rises. Should I drop some ladder type covers on the top for protection?

Does anyone else do this? Am I just overly paranoid?

I use ladders on all four sides, and even on my upper's rail between my optic and BUIS.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Falcon Industries "Diamond Pattern" rail covers and love them. I see no other choice IMO
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]

I like the Magpul XT.  If they start to melt you have gone through some serious ammo IMHO.  If they do melt a little they are cheap enough to get a few extras.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I have tango down covers on mine and like them better than the KAC's because they are thicker and allow a fuller grip on the handguards.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top