Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:26:47 AM EDT
My rifle throws the first shot a little. I have determined it has something to do with me charging the gun with the charging handle. The rounds that are chambered by the gun itself during the firing cycle shoot to a different POI. My rifle will usually shoot these later rounds into quite a nice little grouping. If I shoot a longer string the grouping may actually be two small but distinct groups. The main group will be right where I want it, the smaller number of rounds will group where the first round landed which was chambered using the charging handle. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tuco
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Check to see if the barrel is loose... Grasp the receiver/stock area with one hand and the FSB with your other and twist back and forth to see if there is any movement...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Just checked it out. I can detect no movement or looseness at all!
Tuco
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If its going to move it might take some force to do so...

Do you think it could be related to cold/hot bore differences?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
change in the shooters position.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Optics or open sights? cold or warm barrel? Ammo type? Distance? Need more info.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Common with box fed magazines, especially with semi autos.

I don't know all the science involved, but it has to do with consistency in the way the rounds are loaded. The first one, loaded manually, is chambered with slightly different pressure than subsequent rounds, loaded by the functioning of the rifle. The force with which the rounds are chambered being the significant factor.

Also, with any rifle, especially one capable of precise accuracy, there is the phenomenum of the "cold shot," i.e. the first shot fired in a group will print slightly different to subsequent shots.

For a better explanation, check out one of the sniper or precision shooting sites.

Lonny
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#7]
try tapping your forward assist a few times after first chambering... That is why it is there.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top