Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 9:18:47 PM EDT
First. I've already got my M4, now I want a commando 10.5" or 11.5" barreled AR. The lower is either going to be my RRA U.S. Property rifle lower as a Short barrel rifle if I go that route, or buy a new P marked Pistol RRA lower from Legal Transfers. Here's my question. I'm in the military and transfer every few years, If  I get my approval from the ATF for a SBR, can I legally possess and transport this SBR to my new state of assignment, or do I have to do all the paperwork again everytime that I transfer?

Second. If I decide to buy a pistol lower, is there any legal way to put a collapsable stock on it? I know that you can buy stocks for glocks, but then you're building a SBR, so you have to get a stamp or something from the ATF. Just how much work is it to do?

Third, which is easier to do legally? Do the paperwork for the SBR or just buy a pistol lower and do the paperwork that way?

Any helpful info or #'s to call regarding this would be greatly appreciated. thanks Billy
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you own a registered SBR, I believe there is a form you send to the ATF if you move it to another state - apparently not a big deal (unless the new location is a state that prohibits SBRs)

Personally, I prefer the SBR route over the AR pistol, since I completely fail to grasp the point of an AR pistol (just a personal thing, not knocking those who do like them).  The pistol is EASY to do legally, and doesn't really require anything other than buying a lower that is designated pistol from teh dealer - the SBR requires paperwork, fingerprints, a $200 tax, and often a long wait.

Once an AR is a pistol (and it has a barrel less than 16") - you CANNOT put a collapsible stock on it.  That is an instant NFA violation.

There is lots and lots of good info (including forms, technical information, legalities, etc.) over in the "Full Auto" section, including this FAQ thread for SBR's www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=178305
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
wasent there a thread with this exact question not long ago...?

here it is
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=261296

read the above
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
10.5 SBR

A more practical alternative.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top