Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 4:10:50 PM EDT
Is Slip 2000 Carbon Killer any good? Does anyone here use any carbon remover? Thanks,

- rem
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]

What is the best carbon buildup remover?  

Where? in the carrier?

Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered that stuff from Natchez, but they accidently sent me this shit:

It is their "Gas Piston Parts / Choke Tube Cleaner". It doesn't really work all that great against carbon buildup on the bolt. Is that "Carbon Killer" stuff any different? It's description says basically the same thing. I left the parts in the jar for 6 hours and it still barely removed any carbon. The bolt end was literally covered in carbon.

PLEASE NO ONE RESPOND TO THIS POST ABOUT BS SUCH AS "DONT WORRY ABOUT THE CARBON, BLAH BLAH BLAH". I'M SIMPLY INTERESTED IN KNOWING ABOUT CARBON REMOVERS. NOT WHETHER OR NOT CARBON SHOULD BE REMOVED. THANK YOU.

- rem

Quoted:
Slip 2000 Carbon Killer

Mike

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Kingsford charcoal lighter fluid seems to work if soaked over night.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Break Free Carbon Cutter.  

It's designed to clean blackpowder rifles, so it makes short work of smokeless powder residue.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I just scrape it off
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you personally used it? I was curious how you use it since it comes in a small 4oz bottle.

- rem

Quoted:

It's designed to clean blackpowder rifles, so it makes short work of smokeless powder residue.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
A Piston
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Routine maintenence.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me guess, all 2114 of your posts were just as valuable.

- rem

Quoted:
A Piston

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I use "Blue Wonder". It will clean anything out of a bore including rust and will not dammage your bore.

I had a Mauser that I shot 200rds of corrosive ammo through and left at my uncle's house for 6 years. When I got it back the rust was caked on. I tried shooting it out and cleaning it for hours with Hoppes 9 and hours of scrubbing. There was still a nice layer of rust. I used blue wonder on it one day and it was bright and shiney. It even cleaned the rust out of the craters in the massive pitting.. So every now and then when I have a bore that needs a good cleaning or something Hoppes 9 can't do I use Blue Wonder and it clears anything out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You mean on the bolt?  I have that bolt cleaning/scraper tool from Brownell's are it's awesome.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You mean on the bolt?  I have that bolt cleaning/scraper tool from Brownell's are it's awesome.

Ditto.  If it's on the carrier, there's a scraping tool available for that too.  After that, some picks, a brush and elbow grease.  Pipe cleaners for checking for your work.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Let me guess, all 2114 of your posts were just as valuable.

- rem

Quoted:
A Piston

Yup, and I hope to contribute 2114 more
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a friend who is a certified applicator of Duracoat. Yesterday he did a bolt and carrier in Parkerize color for a retro A1 project I have going. I'll let you all know how it holds up when I shoot it, i.e. whether it flakes off or not.

However, if it's anything like the M1A he did for me, carbon/dirt will wipe right off. The flash hider splines and the face of the bolt only need wiped off with a rag. No scrubbing or scraping required. Up to this point I've always had to use a green scratch pad to remove the brass and marks off of the bolt face. Now it just wipes away. Of course the splines and the bolt face on an M1A are not "friction" areas where there is much metal to metal rubbing going on. Those places that are contact areas have some Duracoat worn off (like the bolt lugs and runway), but then again true parkerizing will rub on high wear areas too.

I don't think that an AR bolt/carrier is a "high rub" zone, do you all? At least internally the gas rings are what makes the most contact inside the carrier, right? The back of the bolt where the shit always builds up should be unaffected by contact.    
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Have you personally used it? I was curious how you use it since it comes in a small 4oz bottle.

- rem

Quoted:

Yes, I've gone through at least five or six bottles in as many months.  I just drip some on the buildup, let it sit for a few minutes, and wipe it off.  If the residue is caked on hard, it might need a longer soak or a little scrubbing.

When cleaning the bore, I use only square flannel patches wrapped around a Parker Hale jag and soaked in CC.

I just ordered some bore cleaning felts made by VFG through Brownells to use instead of patches and brushes (I only use bore brushes on my non-match barrels) and I'll post a report after I get to try them out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

www.slip2000.com/media/cleaner/before-after-jarsm.jpg

It is their "Gas Piston Parts / Choke Tube Cleaner". It doesn't really work all that great against carbon buildup on the bolt. Is that "Carbon Killer" stuff any different? It's description says basically the same thing. I left the parts in the jar for 6 hours and it still barely removed any carbon. The bolt end was literally covered in carbon.

PLEASE NO ONE RESPOND TO THIS POST ABOUT BS SUCH AS "DONT WORRY ABOUT THE CARBON, BLAH BLAH BLAH". I'M SIMPLY INTERESTED IN KNOWING ABOUT CARBON REMOVERS. NOT WHETHER OR NOT CARBON SHOULD BE REMOVED. THANK YOU.

- rem

Quoted:
Slip 2000 Carbon Killer

Mike

This stuff is intended as a pre-soak for shotgun chokes/gas pistons. Based on personal experience it does not work. Call Natchez and get what you want.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

www.slip2000.com/media/cleaner/before-after-jarsm.jpg

The two products are identical.  This info comes from a tech rep from SLIP.  

If buildup is bad, soak it for awhile, hit it with a brush, soak it some more.  The key point is to get to pristine, carbon-free metal.  Then use either their CLP or TW-25B grease or something along those lines.  Future carbon deposits will wipe off much easier.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
How bout a brass brush? That's what I use on the tip of the barrel (w/ FH off) and bolt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I use Flitz Metal Polish on a rag. Takes the carbon off the bolt easily.
Also takes it off the front of the FAL gas piton in a hurry.

Flitz is pretty easy on the finish also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I normally just use Hoppes and a brass brush. Takes some serious scrubbing sometimes. I'm anxious to see some shortcuts.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I use automotive carburetor cleaner in a spray can.
Using that and a toothbrush works pretty good.

The difference is that BF Carbon Cutter is water based, non-hazardous, and does not smell.  That means I can clean guns in my nice, comfy gunroom in the basement when it's freezing or beoiling outside.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I use "Blue Wonder". It will clean anything out of a bore including rust and will not dammage your bore.

Yours is not the first good report of Blue Wonder that I've read.  I think I will have to try a tube.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top