Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 2:57:08 PM EDT
So, I think I wanna make an SBR, but I don't wanna buy a new barrel when I have a 16 inch barrel I don't use anymore that has plenty of life left.  I won't be doing this until my paperwork goes through of course...

If I do this, will I run into feeding problems or any other problems?  I've heard the shorter barrels have different size gas ports.  Will the gas port have to be opened up, or does it need to be smaller?

Should I just buy a different barrel?  I don't wanna if I don't have to.  A friend of mine will cut the barrel I have down and thread it for free, and I know he can do a good job.

Thanks for any input...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Should I have asked this in a different forum?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So, I think I wanna make an SBR, but I don't wanna buy a new barrel when I have a 16 inch barrel I don't use anymore that has plenty of life left.  I won't be doing this until my paperwork goes through of course...
Ok

If I do this, will I run into feeding problems or any other problems?
Barrel length is not a feed issue, bolt and extension-chamber still in same place.. only issue will be proper gas to make bolt-carrier cycle proper

I've heard the shorter barrels have different size gas ports.
Yes, the shorter "dwell" beyond the gas port will require a larger amount of gas to make bolt-carrier cycle firmly enough to get empty case out and clear the eject port, and pick-up new round and chamber it and rotate bolt closed.

Will the gas port have to be opened up, or does it need to be smaller?
See previous reply, need to be larger

Should I just buy a different barrel?  I don't wanna if I don't have to.
Old barrel,  cut with saw, free..... add maybe $60 for thread and proper muzzle finish (crown)
New barrel,  $219 ?

A friend of mine will cut the barrel I have down and thread it for free, and I know he can do a good job.
Thats a better deal than the reply above.... GO FOR IT !

Thanks for any input...
Welcome

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top