Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:30:55 PM EDT
This looks like a modded out AR to my untrained eye.....anyone ever heard of this? Just curious.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=42296333
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This looks like a modded out AR to my untrained eye.....anyone ever heard of this? Just curious.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=42296333

Hot link.  Cobb likely submitted a rifle to the SCAR trials and this would be it, or a version of it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't realize the SCAR-light would be so reasonably priced at only $3500.  What a bargain.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
that is a crap price, cobb will be releasing those to us sheeple soon
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]

What is the action? Gas impinged? Piston? Blowback? Locking Shoulder?

Just trying to get a picture of how the Cobb would differ form the current pack.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Mongo for the hot link.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder why it has a different handguard now
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ouch... that was cold
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, what do you mean by the different handguards??

Also, in the pictures the "pistol grip" is different....looks to me that all the parts are basically an AR type except that crappy looking magazine well. The bolt appears the same to me.

I've seen better builds on this site then this. My opinion only.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What happened with that handguard? Why would the owner switch to a cheaper rail (or AWB complaint barrel)?

I was unaware of any issues, but it isn't something I spent much time on either....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
That gun failed SCAR big time. Had critical failures under testing. Buy with caution
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Variablebinary,

Any info on the rail portion?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll refrain from saying that $3500 will make me look "tactical"  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Variablebinary,

It shit the bed during the competition. According to the manufacturer, it was still in the Beta phase at that time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Variablebinary,

Sure...

"The Cobb Multi-Caliber Rifle (MCR) Series rifle/carbines were developed specifically in order to compete in the USSOCOM Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR/SOFCAR) program. Skip Patel, Cobb's CEO, told DefenseReview (at SHOT show) that the Cobb MCR prototype/SCAR candidate's Mil-Std 1913 rail system loosened during the SOCOM SCAR/SOFCAR competition, which resulted in the MCR being disqualified from the test. At that time, the rail system was subcontracted out. Mr. Patel went on to say that this problem has since been rectified, since Cobb started manufacturing their own MCR rail system, in-house. According to Patel, the new Cobb M1913 rail system will not loosen under heavy firing/high round count."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Variablebinary,

Sure...

"The Cobb Multi-Caliber Rifle (MCR) Series rifle/carbines were developed specifically in order to compete in the USSOCOM Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR/SOFCAR) program. Skip Patel, Cobb's CEO, told DefenseReview (at SHOT show) that the Cobb MCR prototype/SCAR candidate's Mil-Std 1913 rail system loosened during the SOCOM SCAR/SOFCAR competition, which resulted in the MCR being disqualified from the test. At that time, the rail system was subcontracted out. Mr. Patel went on to say that this problem has since been rectified, since Cobb started manufacturing their own MCR rail system, in-house. According to Patel, the new Cobb M1913 rail system will not loosen under heavy firing/high round count."

One can only wonder how the trial would have went if Cobb had the present version of that DD rail instead of the early prototype.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#16]
So this is the rifle that got handily outclassed by the FN and Robinson guns?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I suppose trials are a difficult measure of a guns true worth since so many factors are in play

especially the "brand new design" factor. But each had notice and presumably time to prepare.

Cobb looks like they have some pretty impressive offerings

Cobb MCR Rifles
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So this is the rifle that got handily outclassed by the FN and Robinson guns?

Fixed it for ya'. A DQ is a DQ whether it's a faulty rail system, or a lack in competence when supplying the neccessary requirements.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I see an AR15 with a fancy upper with no forward assist or ejection port cover...  How is this different?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: Buy with caution

There's probably not many people that can, or will buy that. Notice the little hole in the receiver above the safety selector.

Nevermind, I never looked past the first picture.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top