Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:02:57 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I have been lurking around the forum for about 2 weeks now. I have looked at all the photos of everyones guns. I am considering building an AR, my first question is what is the advantage of building your own. Will the gun be more accurate than something out of the box? What is meant by mid length? is that the overall size if the gun or just the handguard? Do the parts normally match up good, if I wanted to use a CMT upper on a RRA lower will I have to do any fitting? What makes people go with one lower over another, is it just the logo it has on it ? I have had AR's in the past but never built one so I have a lot of questions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
midlength refers to the gas system.

cmt makes recievers for rra.

fitting problems might come with the rra lower since the rear shelf is a bit higher but nothing to worry about.

accuracy is mainly the shooter's part but you could build a rifle that is capable of being more accurate than others.

keep looking around in the forums and it should answer all your questions
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A "midlength" gas system is shorter than rifle length, but longer than carbine length.  It supposedly has all the benefits of the carbine length (able to be used on a 16" or 18" barrel), but without the negatives (increased recoil and parts wear) of the carbine length.  

Midlength ARs have their own special "midlength" handguards.  Rifles have rifle handguards, Carbines have carbine handguards.

-MV
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the site!

not necessarily--accuracy will more likely (besides your skill, etc) depend on the parts and how well it goes together (AR manufactures put ARs together too, just like everyday folks)

midlenght: makes a 16-18in lenght bbl look damn good--its the upper assembly/bbl/gas setup

most spec parts match up pretty well, not much fitting required

as long as the AR lower is spec aluminum forged, then it should be ok (avoid cast or crap brands like vulcan/hesse)--personally, i pick on the logo myself

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
OK guys this is what I think I want for now, let me know if any of this seems not right. I am thinking of a mid length gun with 18"or 20" barrel, CMT upper, CMMG lower only because I like the CMMG logo, New Magpul stock in OD with the adjustable comb. VLTOR  handguard in O.D.
I want a RRA trigger tuned by John Holliger , I don't know anything about barrels yet, also don't know if I need free floating barrel. Can anyone educate me on this? Another question is can I just buy a gun like a RRA and change stuff on it to what I want?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top