Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 3:20:18 PM EDT
Someone school me on using the same bolt carrier/bolt in multiple barrels?  What about using different bolt carriers/bolts in the same barrel?  Will I get any malfunctions doing this?   Or is it totally safe?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#1]
It is NOT recommended

I seem to recall someone posting that it was specifically written into .mil manuals prohibiting its practice.

The exception may be the switch of bolts to unfired guns, or between unfired guns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem you could get into is that the bolt lugs in the bbl extensions are never all perfectly flat and identical and the bolt lugs are going to wear into perfect contact as you fire the weapon.  Now if you take the bolt and fire it in a different bbl the lugs will wear a bit as they get mated to the new extension. Then if you change the bolt back to the old bbl it will wear some more as it gets reaquainted to that extension. See the pattern here ?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It is NOT recommended

I seem to recall someone posting that it was specifically written into .mil manuals prohibiting its practice.

The exception may be the switch of bolts to unfired guns, or between unfired guns.

To my knowledge, this is correct.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Accelerated wear to the lugs, but the gun is not going to blow up on you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do and the barrels and bolts have many rounds downrange it is advisable that you check your headspace.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is NOT recommended

To my knowledge, this is correct.

what i go by as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!

Now, for the million dollar question.  Can anyone tell me why most of the uppers on the EE don't include Bolt/Bolt Carrier/Charging Handle?  Are people saving their old bolts/bolt carriers to use on other uppers?   Seems like bad news to me!   I've always kept the same bolt/bolt carrier to all my uppers, and have never swapped.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top