Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:26:20 AM EDT
I've got a chance to make a trade on a KAC VFG.  I've never used one of these before, or any VFG for that matter, but see that a lot of people do.  I'm wondering what benefits a VFG will give me.  Are there also disadvantages to a VFG, besides the extra weight?  Thanks for helping me out.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The extra weight isn't a very big issue to me as it's only a few extra ounces unless you put on what I've got , the Sure Fire M910A.  It's more of a comfort factor and control for the shooter.  Can lower a little bit of muzzle climb with it on  rapid firing.  Just my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Advantages
- The ergonomics of the VFG make it easier to support the the rifle for extended periods of time.
- The VFG makes makes follow up shots at CQB distances easier.

Disadvantages
- It will add some (4-8 oz) weight.
- Adds a protuberance which may get in the way though so does a 30 rnd mag.
- Can make precise longish range (100 yds +) shots more difficult.

I've got rail systems on all my ARs and I have VFGs for all of them but right now, none of them are wearing a VFG and I don't miss it. YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Disadvantages

Why?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The vfg can make it hard to get proper hand placement for stabilizing the front end for long shots where the slightest wobble can throw your shot off by several inches.  IMO pulling the rifle/carbine back tight into your shoulder using the vfg creates more wobble than if you are holding the rifle the traditional way. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disadvantages

Why?

What PBIR said. I've tried making 100 yd shots using the VFG and I am more precise and accurate when I don't use the VFG.

One can of course have a VFG on the rifle, use it for close COM shots and not use it for more precise long range shots.

When I do use a VFG, I don't torque down on it. I just use it to direct the muzzle. I let my right (strong) hand pull the buttstock back into my shoulder. That's just me of course.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the feel of the VFG vs standard handguards... I have also noticed that my 100 yard shots are MORE ACCURATE using the VFG.

+1 here for the VFG.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:Why? What PBIR said. I've tried making 100 yd shots using the VFG and I am more precise and accurate when I don't use the VFG.

When I've got a long shot to make with the VFG on I just slide the support hand back to the delta ring.  That's where I put it shooting in matches, so it's a natural transition to me.  Just balance the bean on the web of the support hand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Although many won't admit, they look pretty cool on the right setup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:Why? What PBIR said. I've tried making 100 yd shots using the VFG and I am more precise and accurate when I don't use the VFG.

When I've got a long shot to make with the VFG on I just slide the support hand back to the delta ring.  That's where I put it shooting in matches, so it's a natural transition to me.  Just balance the bean on the web of the support hand.

If I'm shooting prone I don't choke up against the magwell. For me personally (this is with just about any rifle) I always do better prone with my grip on the forward 1/2 -1/3 of the handguard area. I still run a vfg but if I were to be put in an element where long shots were more the norm I'd probably leave it off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How is that either a advantage or disadvantage?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I'm shooting prone I don't choke up against the magwell. For me personally (this is with just about any rifle) I always do better prone with my grip on the forward 1/2 -1/3 of the handguard area. I still run a vfg but if I were to be put in an element where long shots were more the norm I'd probably leave it off.

That's exactly how I hold the rifle. The further out you can hold the bbl, the more easily it is to make minute adjustments in POA. The further back you hold it, a small change in your POA will make a greater change in your POA. This assumes that you're shouldering your rifle in a traditional manner and not pulling or pushing on the VFG.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose it really isn't...sorry for posting
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:If I'm shooting prone I don't choke up against the magwell. For me personally (this is with just about any rifle) I always do better prone with my grip on the forward 1/2 -1/3 of the handguard area. I still run a vfg but if I were to be put in an element where long shots were more the norm I'd probably leave it off.

Understood.  I was referring to having to make a long shot from offhand.  Proned out, I'd use the mag as a monopod if I was in a hurry to get an above-average accurate shot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose it really isn't...sorry for posting

Sure it is!!!

If you're rifle is cool enough to get your target to admire it, you can get a few more seconds to get a good shot off on him.  Every second counts!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#15]
1. More control of the weapon during F/A firing, easier to keep the muzzle down.

2. Keep your hands from getting too hot during number 1

3. More comfortable to keep a target covered for extended periods of time. (YMMV)

4. Supposedly provide more thrust during muzzle strikes but I havent had a chance to try that one out yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top