Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 10:10:00 PM EDT
I'm browsing POFs' website and seriously liking the idea of the short rifle...

Just wondering what kind of accuracy I'm looking at with the thing, Probably no more than 100yrds becasue that's the longest civilian range I've been on..

So any ideas here? I'm thinking it would be fun to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
9 to 11" are more like pistols than anything. I was talking to Chris at POF-USA and I believe it was he who said that they are mainly for CQB stuff- 50 yards and under, rapid-fire shooting. I would imagine they sell most of their shorties for full-auto guys.

My 16" gas piston upper with 9" predator rail and troy sites is going to be here this Tuesday. Ordered mid-October and finally have a shipping notice!! I am psyched, I can't wait to get it!! Now I'm waiting on a lower from them.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]
50 huh? I guess I'll have to scratch that off of the list of things to buy maybe
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
At 200 yds I hit a man sized target in the chest with a 10.5 all day long, so it will reach out there. PS.. That is with wolf too!

Realistic.... out to 200 fine, even 300 on a good day. But the short barrel drops your velocity and performance after three hundred. On a good day with a bench rest and good ammo you'll get a one foot group at 400. I am estimating because the pasture I shoot in is 300 yds long, and I never went to check groups over in the adjoining fields hill side..
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
At 200 yds I hit a man sized target in the chest with a 10.5 all day long, so it will reach out there. PS.. That is with wolf too!

Realistic.... out to 200 fine, even 300 on a good day. But the short barrel drops your velocity and performance after three hundred. On a good day with a bench rest and good ammo you'll get a one foot group at 400. I am estimating because the pasture I shoot in is 300 yds long, and I never went to check groups over in the adjoining fields hill side..

Your fragmentation is probably going to be non-existent past 50 yards or so. Something to consider if you're thinking of this as a SD piece.

Tack
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Just wondering what kind of accuracy I'm looking at with the thing, Probably no more than 100yrds becasue that's the longest civilian range I've been on..

The weapon will be accurate well past 100 yards without ANY problem.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Fragmentation can be achieved with a bullet puller some winchester white box, a lee lap press, and fresh box of nosler balistic tip. Just ask all the crows Ive hit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#7]
hrm, more motivating answers now

I figure if I can shoot it out to a hundred with no problems i' mset.... Should be plenty for the zombies too when they come.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
9 to 11" are more like pistols than anything.

This is so NOT true.  The 9.5" barrel is only good to about 25-35 yards with 5.56 TAP for fragmetning range but would be accurate to far beyond that.  An 11.5" barrel would fragment to 100 yards and also be accurate far beyond that as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Putting terminal ballistics and fragmentation aside my 10.3" piston equipped M16 with a 4x ACOG can hit 3.5-4 inch sporting clays at 220 yrds all day without a problem using Blackhills blue box ammo. Shot placement can be just as important as terminal ballistics and fragmentation at any distance.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Putting terminal ballistics and fragmentation aside my 10.3" piston equipped M16 with a 4x ACOG can hit 3.5-4 inch sporting clays at 220 yrds all day without a problem using Blackhills blue box ammo. Shot placement can be just as important as terminal ballistics and fragmentation at any distance.

that's what i wanna hear.... if I can put a zombie's head under the red dot it'll go down w00t.... As will coke bottles
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top