Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:06:20 PM EDT
Watched the first episode tonight, very interesting - and a great ad for EOTech !!!

But anyway, on the bust on the dealers place (where no-one got charged or arrested!!), first guy out the van had something "pink" on the front of the barrel of his M4 type.

Anybody catch what that was?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Blank,  firing?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Good show and I plan to watch future episodes as well.

The muzzle cover which you speak of looked bright orange to me. Perhaps just a cover for muzzle protection while in transport to the warant location. Either way, the first shot would pierce the cover unless the cover already had a hole in it.

Damned Germans!

HS1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The muzzle cover which you speak of looked bright orange to me.
HS1

Oh right - airsoft
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Looked orange to me also like maybe a dedicated training rifle? I am not sure though. Still haven't figured out if this is put on for "our" viewing entertainment or if they are on real ops. The SWAT Sr. Corporal, Steve Claggett was also on Combat Missions several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I also will be watching more episodes......................

Great ads for EoTech and Surefire
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Somebody needs to educate those guys, and SKS isn't an "assault rifle" and an AK doesn't have a 50 round "clip".  A lot of those guys showed a serious lack of understanding of firearms, which is pretty dumb when your life depends on them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
First thing I noticed was the Eotechs on pretty much every rifle. Definately some good advertising for them.

I only caught the last half.......it was a decent show. I'll probably tune in again.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am not sure though. Still haven't figured out if this is put on for "our" viewing entertainment or if they are on real ops. The SWAT Sr. Corporal, Steve Claggett was also on Combat Missions several years ago.

Please tell me this isn't another fake "reality" program.....  I'm glad I missed it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know Stick. I couldn't really tell. I have never seen a red or orange muzzle cap yet one guy had one on while jumping out on an op/search warrant or maybe it was something else. They also didn't seem too concerned with safety while on scene dealing with a murder suspect. Again, only my opinion but who knows.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know Stick. I couldn't really tell. I have never seen a red or orange muzzle cap yet one guy had one on while jumping out on an op/search warrant or maybe it was something else. They also didn't seem too concerned with safety while on scene dealing with a murder suspect. Again, only my opinion but who knows.

There are some red versions of the black military issue muzzle cap, which could have been what was spotted.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Somebody needs to educate those guys, and SKS isn't an "assault rifle" and an AK doesn't have a 50 round "clip".  A lot of those guys showed a serious lack of understanding of firearms, which is pretty dumb when your life depends on them.

it pissed me off right away when I head the head doorkicker proclaim

"glad to get these guns off the street"

It would have been interesting to hear the follow up to that whether they were legal gun owners or not.

and the comment re: "sks, (and either kel-tec, or tec-9), and whatever are the most dangerous assault weapons...."

lost him some arfcom-cred.

edit to add: it looked like genuine SWAT raids edited down to show the breach, flashbangs, yelling, and then the "scolding of the BG, followed by perp walk and commentary by the Sarge.

predictable, but it did seem like real stuff. I didnt see any "stars" or even central characters.

could be wrong, I watched 20 minutes
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m surprised noone has brought up the Accuracy International .308, it took the cake for me last night
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#13]
The boys over on the AK Forums are a lot less forgiving

and those comments seem more like what I saw in the short time it was on. didn't catch the F/A shoot or AI, but it just may be destined for the WB, past midnight slots.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Another show I won't watch.

Max
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I wasn't that impressed with the show. They really lost me when they hyped the "guns of the street" yet didn't charge anyone for possesion of a short barrelled shotgun. I highly it was on a form 1.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I was really looking forward to the premiere of this show, but I have to agree with the majority of the comments on here.  I'll say it was "lackluster" at best.  I was impressed when the entry team Sr. Corporal pulled his AR out of his trunk, as it appeared to be an SBR (OK, maybe it was 14.5) and it looked as if it had a Krink on the end.  But then, he said that they are armed with "M-16's".  Does having the happy switch automatically make it an M-16?  I'm honestly asking this, because I didn't think so.

I am not an LEO, but I have worked with our County SRT (SWAT) Team and have several friends on it.  This show did not do them any favors.

"There are 3000 officers in the Dallas Police Department...only 50 make it to SWAT."  Yikes!

My favorite quote..."When a citzen needs help, they call the police.  When the police need help, they call SWAT."  Somebody watching a little too much Sam Jackson?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#17]
With the lack of firearms knowledge,and the proclomation of "taking another assault rifle off the streets",this show is walking the thin line of anti-gun propoganda.George Soros might as well be the executive producer of this crap
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Show was alright, I wouldn't hammer on the guy because he called it an m16.  It wasn't an m4 either, he had a full auto lower and an 11.5" barrell.  I even caught that fact that the upper was a Diemaco.   My fav was the sawed-off break open shotgun with the laser on the trigger guard.  Nice hi-point 9mm carbine too...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I watched a couple of minutes.  It sucked ass.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Some how I've missed that video with the instructor, now that is a moron!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#21]
The worst part for me was their Texas pride...

Every picture I saw of them with the Texas flag, the flag was upside down...

Bandage over the blood...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I saw some of it... I thought the show was ok regardless of the possible "agenda" of some of the messages.  I've worked with TV/media companies enough (in a past life) to know that any show especially a reality show can be twisted to reflect the agenda of the producers... the context of statements is defined by the creators, editors, directors, producers of the show much more than even the people in the show.  FWIW, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the guys on the show, for the time being.

The real "miracle" of this show, is that any of 'us' are watching A&E... how many guys in our demographic did that 5 years ago?  That's the purpose of the show - to make 'good TV' and bring a different (valuable) viewer demo to the network.  The producers will put their own tone to it just because that's what they do.  I didn't tune in to see the human-interest part of the show (the people going to the opera, etc.), so they're not only trying to appeal to people like me.  Take the content with a grain of salt, and if you don't agree with the message of the show, don't watch it - that's the only real recourse individual viewers have on commercial-supported TV.

To get back on-topic, yes - there was some good exposure for Eotech and Surefire.  It also seems like these guys get out there fairly often (not two calls/year) so their choice in gear seems need-based, and not just accessory happy.  I didn't catch what magazine-clamp they were using - did anyone see?  Just curious...

-F7
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#23]
The reason that they didn't arrest the guy with the sawed off shotgun was cause it had an uber tactical laser and they realized he was an FBI swat member
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I've seen black Capplugs muzzle covers and red Capplugs muzzle covers.  I have never seen even GREEN muzzle covers, much less orange.

I missed the show, but frankly it doesn't sound like I missed much...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

and those comments seem more like what I saw in the short time it was on. didn't catch the F/A shoot or AI, but it just may be destined for the WB, past midnight slots.

That thread is about Texas SWAT.

This thread is about Dallas SWAT.

Two different shows.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure if it was a ploy for the add, but does the guy with the AI actually stand out right beside the tree like that? From what I saw, it looked like he left himself heavily exposed for being a SWAT member.

I didn't catch the show, but I was told I didn't miss much.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I watched/recorded both episodes.  Its real, thats how cops are.  Not all of us are gun nuts and follow every little detail about the weapons out there.  You wouldnt believe the intel. I hear about what the bad guys have on the streets.  I regularly get into "disucussions" with fellow officers about such issues.  For example:  About a month ago I come into work.  After roll call a peice of paper is handed around showing us the gun collection that a suspect (juvenile) has been bragging to his friends about.  The pic is a bunch of weapons sprawled across someones floor, just like we do on AR.15.com showing each other what we have.  Well the pic in particular was full of HKs and FNs, super exotic/expensive stuff that no way in hell a punk from this town is gonna have.  Nothing came from it, the kid and his story disappeared into history.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I like the point where they were discussing the sawed off single barrel shotgun with a laser on it, and as one guy was holding it, the other comented "that'll go right through a vest!"  
Sure it will, and so will that crappy hi point carbine they grabbed, as well as the 25 auto and 380.
If you wear armor, you should atleast know what it will and wont stop...

Ill keep watching though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#29]
My favorite part was the drug raid. The officer who had the flashbang on the painters pole pulled it away from the window and it detonated in their faces.

We always stick them in the windows and really scramble the BG's eggs
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#30]
My father and I have red muzzle caps.  We were getting the black ones, but after too many went downrange (blended too well with black rifles) we switched to red.  Simply forgot they were on there, and the round does not make a hole, it takes the whole cap off.  

Never found any of them either.  

I have seen all colors, and Im guessing if it looked pink, it started out red and got sun faded.  
They do a pretty good job of keeping crap outta the muzzle, and like I said, there is no problem shooting them off.   Done it with AR's and an HK 91.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I wish they'd quit playing 2 songs,  Dallas swat ad, 2 songs, Dallas Swat ad, on launchcast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Its real, thats how cops are.  Not all of us are gun nuts and follow every little detail about the weapons out there.  

AMEN....In larger departments, like the one I work for there is a vast amount of officers who shoot their guns once or twice a year (requalifications) and dont know shit about them otherwise. I love guns, love looking at guns, shooting guns and talking guns. I bore the shit out of guys I work with when I do. I correct people for saying "clip" instead of magazine, things like that. I was not disappointed by the Dallas SWAT show not only because of the gun talk but the overall macho shit e.g. "get these guns off the street", "that would go right through a vest" and all the references to being on call..we get it, it's dangerous. Lot of fluff i'm sure that some script writer who doesnt know shit about police work figured he'd throw in. I am a patrolman/SWAT team member in a northeast city that was fortunate enought to be ranked within the top 20 most dangerous cities in the country by the FBI. Frequently called out and questioned several of the tactics. Especially the sniper, I am a sniper on my team and found his location to be odd. Granted one of the biggest functions I can serve as a sniper is being a forward observer. I may never have a shot but I will still be set up in an appropriate location to give intel. All I continued to hear him say was that he couldnt see shit? Oh well, he's on TV and i'm not (not jealous)

ETA: Laughed my balls off when the flashbang went off about 4 ft. from the house
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Bulldog, I'm even more jealous.  We don't even have a SWAT team.  I routinely contemplate if I'm working   at the right agency.  Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I was in the Texas Army National Guard with a LT in charge of SWAT in Houston.  He was a Major and was in outstanding shape (#2 on the PT Tests).  He carried more goodies than one could imagine in the trunk of his unmarked vehicle.  He eventually quit and went to narcotics.  The contact between SWAT in Houston and other agencies was apparently ongoing pre 9/11.

I enjoyed the show and accepted it for what it was.  There was some showboating.  The weapons all looked the same with EO Tech everywhere.  I was curious to see what happens at night and see the technology or lack thereof when that comes on.

The missed shots at the SWAT Meet here in Vegas were a surprise.  

Anyway it is as good as many of the shows on TV.  Future shows will determine if it or Rollergirls in Austin keeps me up.

CPTKILLER
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My favorite quote..."When a citzen needs help, they call the police.  When the police need help, they call SWAT."

When SWAT needs help, they call an Arfcommer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#36]
DURRRRR

Someone buy this man a VFG:
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Didn't see the show - but am amused by some comments here that swat cops should know more about weapons.  Why's that?  If they can run thier guns, and have the stones to go through the door, and are tactically sound, who cares if they are firearms encyclopedias or not?  They have a job, and do it.  Most SWAT guys I know are above-average shooters willing to put in the personal time and deal with the BS of being on the team.  Most know two things about the majority of the firearms world: jack and shit.  No big deal.  They can use their tools, and that's what they are to them.  

And frankly, most of SWAT work - especially sniper work - is dull.  I can't imagine it will make a good TV show.  General patrol stuff is more varied and interesting - narcotics is way more fun.  SWAT stuff is usually pretty scripted - it's well planned stuff.  That's what SWAT does, and that's why it works.  

Frankly, I'd be hugely surprised if anything really interesting gets on the show - it will become evidence, and possibly fuel for civil cases, so I imagine it's pretty heavily censored by the hosting agency.

BTW - my former CO at my marine reserve unit was a dallas SWAT cop, and he was a freaking animal.  Looked and talked like a knuckle dragger, but was sharp as a tack.  They have a good team from what I understand.

I kinda wished I had seen it, but looking at the comments, it's about what you'd expect.  And it's probably real.  Sometimes, that's just not that interesting or entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That thread is about Texas SWAT.

This thread is about Dallas SWAT.

Two different shows.

.................And they both suck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am not sure though. Still haven't figured out if this is put on for "our" viewing entertainment or if they are on real ops. The SWAT Sr. Corporal, Steve Claggett was also on Combat Missions several years ago.

Please tell me this isn't another fake "reality" program.....  I'm glad I missed it.

They are real DPD/SWAT officers and those callouts were real.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Wife recorded, I guess the first one, watch it just today (1/6) ---- we like it, for what we thought it would be, a good TV show ---- and honestly guys - how many of us have said "man, my foot hurts - think I'll get it looked at next week"........? Now thats 's real TV
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I’m surprised noone has brought up the Accuracy International .308, it took the cake for me last night

Yes, especially with the camo paint job on it - really useful in urban downtown Dallas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, especially with the camo paint job on it - really useful in urban downtown Dallas.

Those AI's are sweet though. I am issued a Sig SSG3000 sniper with black on black camo with a hint of scratches from being dragged..but I digress.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Show was OK. I liked seeing the SBR's since I'm currently obsessed with getting a Colt 6933. Other than than, nothing that hasn't been on the History channel or Discovery channel before.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Not all EOTechs though. Did notice a Leopold Mark 4 CQ/T on that last entry team.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#45]
They're re-airing it right NOW on A&E.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank god for Tivo

Here is a pic I just took from my TV with the red tip:

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top