Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:28:44 AM EDT
i just picked up a 3pack of the magpul anti tilt followers. they work great in my brand new mags. but i tried installing them in some used mags that were running 100% with the USGI green followers. the magpul followers would not function in mags with SMALL dents in the sides. i guess b/c they are a little thicker.

anyway this means if you happen to get some small damge to your mags you will probably have feeding problems.

anyone else notice this? guess i could shave the sides of the follower down alittle bit...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#1]

i tried installing them in some used mags that were running 100% with the USGI green followers.

I'm not any help to you when it comes to the MP followers, but why would you change the followers out if they were running 100%?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
just to try them out. only paid $6 for a 3 pack last time i was at the gun shop

i just looked again and apparently magpul just fixed these issues in december. looks like i got the gen 1 followers
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=259513
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not following you on this.  You have magazines that are dented, and you didn't check the follower travel to ensure it was smooth before you used the mags?

Here is an easy fix.  Take your magazine, use a ruler and run the follower up and down 15-20 times.  Remove the follower, and check where there is contact on the follower body.  Remove material until there is no longer contact, and you will find you have no problems.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#4]
So your GI followers worked well, even though your magazine body was dented, correct? And then when you put the MP follower in the magazine, it didn't work as well?

I supose that if the MP followers fit tighter then the issued ones, they may be more prone to getting hung up on the "dents" then the GI followers? I don't know just speculation.

But if the dents are that pronounced, it may be time to invest in some new bodies.

If my assumption is correct, then I see your concern. If my magazine gets dented does it become inoperable, or less reliable because of the tight fit of the MP followers?

Sounds like a question Rich should answer. I do know the 2nd generation of MP followers were just released. I wonder if they are any different....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm not following you on this.  You have magazines that are dented, and you didn't check the follower travel to ensure it was smooth before you used the mags?

Here is an easy fix.  Take your magazine, use a ruler and run the follower up and down 15-20 times.  Remove the follower, and check where there is contact on the follower body.  Remove material until there is no longer contact, and you will find you have no problems.

That's good to know but if my mags were running 100% with green followers and less then 100% with the Magpul's I'd stop wasting time and just put the green followers back in them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If I hadn't followers tilt, I guess it wouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
exactly i did cycle them with a stick and saw the resistance the dents caused before running them

my concern was placing the follower in a good mag and during use, should a dent occur it would render the mag unreliable where a similar dent would not effect green follower as easily

i did not hear many concerns about the followers, that's why i tried them
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top