Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:14:45 PM EDT
I am new to AR's and have a few questions about using the iron sights.

1. I have a bushmaster A3 upper with a detachable bushmaster carry handle, and B.M.A.S flip up front sight. Are flip up sights as accurate as the normal front sights?

2. what is the correct way to line up the sights, I have never used the peep hole type rear sight, I assume the larger apperature would be used for either short distances, or quick fire situations. And the smaller apperature used for loner distances?

3. I will normailly be shooting at 100 yards what is the best way to zero with these sights small or large apperature?

4. I will eventually be using a scope I have but I like Iron sights, it's a stubborn pride thing.

5. Thanks for any help, there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here so I thought this would be a good place to ask my questions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Zero with the small arperture.Use the left and right ears to center the front sight within the peep and bring up your front half way or at the rear peeps equator or mid point.Some people lolipop the sight picture with the target resting on the front sight.I sight in with the front sight resting in the middle of the target and sight in to point of aim.ARs are flat shooters and work well sighted in like that.Large arperture sight in same way except you see more of the front sight base.Look at both the small arperture makes the front sight and ears look closer and the larger it looks farther away...in any event use the front sight to cut the rears circle at the halfway point.Some one im sure will post pics.Flip up sights are just as accurate on a field rifle.Irons first scopes and red dots second.Dont get lazy with gadgets.Reliability and function and being able to hit with irons is first priority.Before getting any gadgets take a carbine class and learn to use and maintain the rifle..then go to gadgets,choices on wich will be made easier by taking a class.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It's all right here for the taking buddy!

Army TM/FM3-22.9 online

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks pun, and QUIB, that info will help me out alot!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top