Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with JP Enterprises JPBC-2 full mass stainless tactical carrier?  Here's an image and a link to it's info page:

http://www.jprifles.com/photos/JPBC-2s.jpg www.jprifles.com/OperatingSystem.html

Right now I'm using a Titanium Nitride bolt and carrier from DPMS, and I've got to admit I don't really feel that the extra 80 or so dollars that I invested in it is really worth whatever marginal performance I might have gained, if I did gain any... But anyway... just wondering about this stainless carrier.  It seems to me when I slide my fingers over the titanium carrier it's kinda rough compared the sensation percieved when running my fingers over stainless steel, of course I know that my fingers can't percieve whatever chemical process may be going on between the titanium carrier and some CLP, the lubricity(if that's a word) between the titanium and the CLP may be greater than that between the stainless and CLP.  So yeah.. I was just wondering what all your thoughts were about it.  Thanks a whole bunch!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
........what exactly are you trying to accomplish?.........sounds like you have what you need already??............
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two rifles with the JP Tactical bolt carriers and they are very nice. The carriers are silky smooth and work great in my uppers.  They are a quality made part.  
I bought the first one to replace a troublesom carrier that I was tired of dealing with and I liked it so much I bought another one for a custom stainless upper I built.
They are pricey though, so I don't know if I could justify replacing a carrier that works.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
BTW, the carrier from DPMS is steel and coated in Titanium Nitride (i.e. what gives it the gold-ish color).  ANYTHING from JP will be the best....period.  That being said, his full weight carrier is great.  The quality of machining is second to none and flat out...JP's parts work every time.  I run his Low Mass Operating System in my competition rifles and this carrier in my teaching and sniper competitions.  

You can't go wrong with it.  It is pricey, but you get what you pay for and John stands behind everything that he sells.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
........what exactly are you trying to accomplish?.........sounds like you have what you need already??............hr

I 'm basically asking because I'm pretty new to ar-15's and the TiNi bolt I have now is in my first build, and if(or when more likely!) I build another, this is something I might consider checking out.  So far I've found little-to-no information on stainless carriers, so any and all input is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
others on the board have had less-than-stellar comments regarding the DPMS bolt carriers.  The two (my limited experience with them) that I've handled were roughly finished, something akin to a very fine grit sandpaper.

If it was my choice to make, I'd pick up a M16 carrier...achieve the same results as the xtra mass JP unit while saving some money.

BTW:  if you are looking for extra lubricity and ease of cleaning, pick up a chrome bolt...that's where most of your fouling occurs anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The two [DPMS bolt carriers] (my limited experience with them) that I've handled were roughly finished, something akin to a very fine grit sandpaper.

Yeah, that was my perception too, and This is the ONLY bolt and carrier I've ever handled!  If a noob like me can tell that then... hmmm... starting to feel a little duped here...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have these stainless carriers in all three of my primary builds.  I chose them for the smoothness potential.  So far, they have served me very well.  I'd recommend them for somebody who wants a smooth operating system.  Honestly, though, there isn't much "tactical" about them, but that's not why I chose them.

Additionally, IMO, the TiN components in an AR are simply marketing and add very little.  In fact, one I had was losing its TiN coating after some use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The two [DPMS bolt carriers] (my limited experience with them) that I've handled were roughly finished, something akin to a very fine grit sandpaper.

Yeah, that was my perception too, and This is the ONLY bolt and carrier I've ever handled!  If a noob like me can tell that then... hmmm... starting to feel a little duped here...

it happens...do some more research here before you make "the jump" next time.

Paradoxically, this site has cost me a mint AND saved me a fortune
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Honestly, though, there isn't much "tactical" about them, but that's not why I chose them.

John Paul addresses it as such since it's his only carrier that still allows use of the forward assist.  Both of the low mass carriers have this feature disabled.  The tactical application for it is not for the myth of SPORTS, but rather for closing the bolt when riding a round in a "silent" loading situation.

As for DPMS carriers...I like 'em.  Before running the JP-LMOS in my competition rifle, I ran a Colt bolt and carrier.  In the middle of a 3-Gun match, my VERY reliable rifle started taking a dump.  Between stages I threw in a back-up bolt and carrier from DPMS (chrome carrer, steel bolt) and I finished the match very well (went home with another rifle...talk about tricking folks into another fun ).  

While I love DPMS as a company and their rifles, I always say that in most cases, better parts cost more money.  JP is the best!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top