AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:02:53 AM EDT
Washing

The new parts

The permaslik

The Drying

The final product

The mess (Wife not happy) It vacuumed up nicely. I was spraying waaay outside but the dust traveled a long way.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, Great job and pix.

ARDog
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Very funny post!

Have you used the dry-lube spray before?

obviously you are sold on it, but what's the sales pitch on it?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks great, are they easy to slip in and out of the weapon
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not post this in the mag section?

To be honest with you, those magazines didn't look all that beat to begin with.  

However, I do like the idea of refinishing the magazine when you drop in new springs and followers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Good Job
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#6]
nice
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice job! And if you don't mind me asking, where did you score perma silk and mag springs?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for not ptting it in the mag section. I got the followers from [email protected] and the Springs from the EE. The Permaslik is a funny story. I called a lot of people looking for it but none hade it in stock. Then I called this great place who had the 4 cans I needed in stock and they were the lowest price I had seen. There number is 610-789-7853 and I spoke with Rudy Rorer. A few days later I noticed that they had not taken the money off my credit card, so I called him back. He said he was wrong and only had 3 cans in stock But he shipped them to me free of charge. He spoke with me about other AR refinishing tricks and what to use and how to use it. Great guy and great place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, they work great. I like this stuff the best out of the products I have tried.  The mags you see in the pic with the Perma Slik are some that only got new springs and followers. I did about 80 mags but only 50 or 60 got the perma slik.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#10]
You did cure them in the oven, right?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/bs101177/Drying.jpg

Was the phrase "What? You hang your pantyhose in there to dry." said during this process?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
No, this is the guest bathroom. She hangs hers in the other bathroom. No, it takes to long in the oven so we have this portable heater we put them in front of. It gets HOT and I have done it both ways and can not tell any diffrence. A friend did some one time and used a hair dryer. That worked also. It says on the can NOT to bake. The only reason I put the heat on them is so they dry fast and I can put the next batch on the table. It makes things go faster.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice job. How many mags did you do all together?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Excellent post! I'd like to see this thread moved to the Magazine forum and tacked.

I absolutely love refinishing/rebuilding magazines. I have an entire diaper box upstairs full of beaters that I separate into lots of 10 and refinish over the winter. My wife thinks I'm nuts but it looks like I fit in well here
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I squirmed only slightly when I saw you washing your nasty lead-fouled magazines in the family sink...But then I remembered how many times I cleaned/lubed/tinkered in my "armory" with an open container and a sandwich or a bag of chips.

roy d...gonna die sooner or later....might as well be doing something you enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I refinished some mags four years ago, doing exactly as you had done.  I still have half a can of perma-silk left, should probably throw it away.  The "refinished" mags' finish would rub off with a swipe of a finger, and would wear off soon enough if they go in and out of pouches, or are handled often (like grabbing and holding it while loading them )

I'll leave beat up mags as they are now, I can think of better things to waste my time on  The "refinished" mags are the last ones I'd use, because they get  that gray shit on my hands and finger, which then go on my clothes and face, I'd look like a friggin' grease monkey at the end of a class.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the 411 and great photos!

I'm a cheapskate; I use Krylon.   But I do pop for the Magpul followers and Rangers, that's a given.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I refinished some mags four years ago, doing exactly as you had done.  I still have half a can of perma-silk left, should probably throw it away.  The "refinished" mags' finish would rub off with a swipe of a finger, and would wear off soon enough if they go in and out of pouches, or are handled often (like grabbing and holding it while loading them )

I'll leave beat up mags as they are now, I can think of better things to waste my time on  The "refinished" mags are the last ones I'd use, because they get  that gray shit on my hands and finger, which then go on my clothes and face, I'd look like a friggin' grease monkey at the end of a class.

I refinished some before as well. The dry lube is great stuff but it does rub off too easy. From now on I am going to use some type of moly resin- gun kote or somethiung similar.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm a cheapskate

yeah right!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I did about 80 of them. Mine don't rub off. They will look new for a couple of years (as long as they did from Colt) Then I will do another batch.  I had some 60's 20rd mags that still had some finishing on them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
BSheppard,

Have you found any other sources for the Perma-slick? Brownells, etc. BTW, the mags look great! I'm jealous!

AR-15User
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I would to know who all sells Permas-slik and how many mags will 1-can do?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#24]
What I mean is how many Company sell this stuff and who?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Great post.  My only mag refinishing attempt was on a steel L1A1 mag using BBQ paint.  It's acceptable as far as a finish goes for super cheap as long as you bake it on and don't expect any longterm benefits!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I called about 4 places looking for it (Perma slik). It was out of stock at all but one (see name and number in beginning of thread). It runs about $30.00 a can and a can will do about 20 mags. Thats two coats per mag, So 40 mags if you do one coat. My friend did one thick coat and it works as well or at least we have not used them enough to tell. I have several trips shooting on some I did a few weeks ago. I also tried a few experimental coatings. One that has held up well is chalk board paint.  It is black, extremely durable and can be had at wally world for about $3.50 a can. I will post pics.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are the pics of the experimental chalk board painted mags. You can't see it in the pic, but they have a nice texture to them.

They have about 300 rds through them. I have tried other paints but this is the only one that came out looking good after use.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top