Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
I have an Armalite two stage trigger.

The trigger pull of the first stage has a very rough feel to it.  There are about three or four "jagged" spots thet I have to get through before getting to the second stage.

The contact point on the front and rear hammer hooks was quite rough on both sides.  I got a small piece of emory paper and I thought I did a very good job of polishing both sides.  Under a magnifying glass it went from a rough look to a shiny polished look.

However it did not make much difference in the smoothness of the trigger pull.

Are there other contact points that also need polishing?

Thanks

Ron
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't get too happy with the emery paper.  You just might rub out the first stage.

If the trigger is new, just shoot it.  I've never experienced the 3 to 4 jagged steps, but the first stage is "gritty" for the first 300-400 rounds.  After that, the first stage smoothes out.  Some dry fire practice could help put the trigger through some cycles.

If it is a big problem, take it to a competent AR-smith and have him put it to a stone.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Unlike the RRA 2-stage, the Armalite has sear contacts along with the hook on the back side of the hammer... Let a gunsmith do it...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for your advice.

It is hard to believe that a few hundred firings would make a difference in this case. The firearm is new and properly lubricated.  During the first stage trigger pull, if the trigger were released before reaching the second stage, the trigger would not return forward without pushing it back.

I have read on this forum that Armalites two stage triggers are not that good.  If this is the reason, I can see why.

I certainly would not remove enough metal in the polishing step to damage the trigger.  Everything is being done lightly and in little steps with frequent inspection under a magnifyer.  The contact point at the hook does not seem to be the problem however.

I was hoping that someone has gone down this same road and can point out another problem area.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Look this over... It may help you out...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=263269

ETA: Its not showing a 2-stage setup but it should work the same...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks but after reading the directions for an ar15 I do not think that I am smart enough to do that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top