Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:57:11 PM EDT
I was looking at the carbon 15 9mm Bushmaster.  What other guns do well silenced?  I have heard a silenced 9mm AR, I wonder how much louder a .223 is.  

Also what other brand/type guns make great silenced weapons?

And what should I expect to pay to do so?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a whole lot of fun in suppressing a .223, it will still make a loud supersonic crack no matter what and subsonic .223 is out of the question. A suppressed .45 AR sounds cool!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is subsonic 223 out of the question?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Even supersonic .223 supression is great.  I was just goofing around with an AWC Raider this weekend and it REALLY makes shooting the AR a distinct pleasure.  The only issue that drives me nuts is the nasty gassy blowback that makes you cry.....

oh...and it makes your gun EXTRA FILTHY....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Silencertests.com has a bunch of information that anyone thinking about getting into silencers should read.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
We were shooting M16's with cans this weekend also, Red States are GREAT.
The gun with a 11.5 inch barrel was about as loud as a 22 lr. We used no hearing protection at all even in full auto. The blow back is another story, but I just hip shot it and got a lovely circular kiss on my tee shirt from the gas blow back. BTW, the Ruger 10/22 with sub-sonic ammo was so quite that all you could hear was the bullet ricocheting. The 45 sub guns are VERY quite.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why is subsonic 223 out of the question?

I don't think it is powerful enough to reliably cycle the action.

I have heard they will produce a sound about like a .22 LR and quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection.

Thats not much of a benefit for upward of $1,000*

* $500-$750 suppressor, $200 tax stamp, and $50-$100 FFL transfer fee
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have heard they will produce a sound about like a .22 LR and quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection.

* $500-$750 suppressor, $200 tax stamp, and $50-$100 FFL transfer fee hr

Even though I agree, it is a chunk of change, I think a silencer only increases the enjoyment of shooting.  
For example, one of the places that I shoot at is a large open valley. no-one is ever around, yet I still need hearing protection. With a silencer, I no longer have to worry about this.Like I said, I do agree that is alot of money, but for me well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just had a friend stop by to try my AAC m4-2000, he's been thinking of buying a suppressor for his Bushmaster .223...one shot and he decided he is going to start the paperwork.  

No, .223 isn't the most efficient to suppress, but it's still a whole lot quieter than unsuppressed.  I'm not terribly enthused about shooting a 16" carbine unsuppressed even with foam earplugs...with a suppressor, I still use a small bit of cotton in my ears, but they're sensitive...I use hearing protection even with .22 rifles.

Wish I'd had one earlier in life, maybe I wouldn't have the constant ringing in my ears now.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
A 5.56 suppressor is great for quieting the rifle down to about the level of a .22 CB Long, but it isn't going to be silent by any means. Regular subsonic ammo will not cycle the bolt carrier, so it'll be a single-shot rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A 5.56 suppressor is great for quieting the rifle down to about the level of a .22 CB Long, but it isn't going to be silent by any means. Regular subsonic ammo will not cycle the bolt carrier, so it'll be a single-shot rifle.

And you have the ballistic equivalent of a 22lr...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Would the PRI gas buster charging handle make the gas blowback less discomforting for the shooter?

also, which supressor can attach to a A2 birdcage or phantom flashider?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

* $500-$750 suppressor, $200 tax stamp, and $50-$100 FFL transfer fee hr

Even though I agree, it is a chunk of change, I think a silencer only increases the enjoyment of shooting.  
For example, one of the places that I shoot at is a large open valley. no-one is ever around, yet I still need hearing protection. With a silencer, I no longer have to worry about this.Like I said, I do agree that is alot of money, but for me well worth it.

Yeah that is alot of dough... Why dont you just go to www.gunbroker.com and get a silenced H&K cloned MP5 by Bobcat Weapons with a US Navy trigger set, SBR config with a silencer for $600 over what just a silencer will cost you.. of course the tax stamps would kill you on the MP5 too (2x$200)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Would the PRI gas buster charging handle make the gas blowback less discomforting for the shooter?

also, which supressor can attach to a A2 birdcage or phantom flashider?

Yes, the gas buster does help some, but does not eliminate the problem. Someone makes a cloth that covers the gap between the recievers which helps out even more.

The Gemtech Halo works with any 22 mm standard NATO specification flash hider( A2 birdcage)without the use of tools, I don't know if it works with the phantom though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally false.  What 22lr fires a 127 grain bullet at subsonic velocity and is an inch long so it can yaw and cause an inch wide wound or break up?  You cna buy ammo that is subsonic and cycles the AR but its over $1 a round.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally false.  What 22lr fires a 127 grain bullet at subsonic velocity and is an inch long so it can yaw and cause an inch wide wound or break up?  You cna buy ammo that is subsonic and cycles the AR but its over $1 a round.

I am doubting that even a 1/7" barrel could stabilize that heavy of a bullet. I have never even seen a .223 bullet that heavy.

If you want a silenced gun, a pistol caliber carbine is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Gemtech Halo on my .223 4gery and IMHO it was worth every penny.

As an experienced handloader, I fire both full-power (3100 fps) and subsonic rounds.

I have developed subsonic rounds that are even quieter, but MORE DEADLY than a 22lr.  22lr is usually only packing 24~40 grain bullets.  My subsonics are 60+ grains which would be closer in target energy tranfer to a 22 magnum.

A 22lr is actually a transonic bullet.  It leaves the muzzle at supersonic speeds and then transitions to subsonic in about 30 yards.  So even a silenced 22lr will have a sonic crack.  That is also why 22 subsonic is MUCH more accuracte than 22lr.  My subsonics leave the barrel around 50 fps. under the sound barrier and have a velocity deviation of only 15 fps.

My subsonics do not cycle the action but that makes them even quieter because you do not hear the gas pop from the BCG exhaust ports.  It makes it a Repeater action and not a single shot.  It is possible to make subsonics cycle the action by having your gas port drilled and installing an adjustable gas block.  I choose not to do that because I love my subsonics & can just the way they are.  The total sound is less than a daisy red rider BB gun.  I can actually hear the hammer hit the firing pin.  

I do quite a bit of nocturnal varmint killing around where I live.  My varmint magazine consists of the first round being subsonic and the following being full-power.  If I happen to miss with the subsonic, I rack it once more and blaze with full-power.  I have never had to rack it yet.

Needless to say, I have (and am still having) an absolute blast with my Halo can.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top